Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #521
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Well, you aren't making it up...
Powerplays per game

Flames/Avs 10.6
Sharks/Knights 9.6
Caps/Canes 8.3
Blues/Jets 7
Stars/Preds 7
Pens/isles 6
Leafs/Bruins 5
Jackets/Bolts 4.3
Any chance you could break that down by team?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #522
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Someone mentioned that between games 2 & 3 there is not much time for adjustments with the travel day. So i'm hopeful between games 3 & 4 Peters will be able to show his skill and adjust to the Avs. And then hopefully carry that through consecutive travel back and forth (with little room for Colorado to implement a counter adjustment)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #523
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames will be fine if they can stop the parade to the penalty box.

They do that by moving their feet, and forcing the Avs to play in their zone more.

If the Flames lose the neutral zone battle, they will be parading to the box again, with predictable results.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #524
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

They do that by moving their feet, and forcing the Avs to play in their zone more.

If the Flames lose the neutral zone battle, they will be parading to the box again, with predictable results.

I think the big problem is the constant retreat from the defense. Watching the highlights is sickening. You can see the dman retreat from their own blue line to the crease. What is that. Backing up to allow shots from 10 feet. What the hell!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #525
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Any chance you could break that down by team?
http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?report...werplaySeconds
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #526
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Powerplays per game

Flames/Avs 10.6
Sharks/Knights 9.6
Caps/Canes 8.3
Blues/Jets 7
Stars/Preds 7
Pens/isles 6
Leafs/Bruins 5
Jackets/Bolts 4.3
I don't know if this is being done on purpose, but the best way to neutralize the Flames supposed depth advantage is turn the game into a special teams battle.

I've found it very frustrating that every time the Flames seem to be establishing their game 5 on 5, they get called for some cheap call or multiple calls which kills their momentum.

It happened in Game 1 and the Flames luckily recovered from it. It happened again in Game 3 and they didn't recover.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #527
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I think the big problem is the constant retreat from the defense. Watching the highlights is sickening. You can see the dman retreat from their own blue line to the crease. What is that. Backing up to allow shots from 10 feet. What the hell!
But look at the amount of back pressure from the Flames forwards. It's virtually non-existant. Without that back pressure, the defense can't stand up.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #528
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yep. It starts by everyone all the way down the line up skating and playing about 20% faster than they are. And for the top players, letting instinct take over. They're not playing through instinct. It's been obvious when they weren't every time they struggled this season.

How did Monahan score his goal? Lightning fast play, probably didn't even think. Speed and quick decision making is clearly the determinant in this series.

That also means back checking 20% harder by the forwards.

Slow and east-west = more thinking, less space meaning perimeter play, and turning it over.

Fast and north-south = more instinct, more open lanes and odd man chances, and more takeaways.

It may seem over simplified but that's really been the entire story. Flip the script long enough to put one or two in their net and Colorado starts to play scared, their lackluster depth starts to show itself more, and defense exposed (including the rookie).

All starts with effort level which means moving the feet.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-16-2019 at 03:33 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #529
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Powerplays per game

Flames/Avs 10.6
Sharks/Knights 9.6
Caps/Canes 8.3
Blues/Jets 7
Stars/Preds 7
Pens/isles 6
Leafs/Bruins 5
Jackets/Bolts 4.3
I mentioned this in Bingo's post game thread but it does seem a little like the officiating is different in this series compared to others. The Sharks/Knights series has been considerably more physical so you can understand that may lead to more powerplays but it seems like lots of minor penalties are being called in this series that are being let go in a lot of the other series. Boston and Tampa were 2 & 3 in regards to average penalties per game in the regular season yet they are playing in series that have less than half the penalties over three games. The Flames have been full marks for some of these penalties but there's been at least one soft call against them in every game and probably more if you are going by the standards set in other series.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #530
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
But look at the amount of back pressure from the Flames forwards. It's virtually non-existant. Without that back pressure, the defense can't stand up.
True enough. Really the team needs to play as a team.

At this point it's such a disaster that I'm not sure where the coaches will even start. Hopefully they know what to do!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #531
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
The issues start much earlier. Weak puck management in the offensive zone, trying to make something out of nothing plays, resulting in avs to quick transition and create a rush opportunity. Hence, forwards get caight, and d have to play conservative.

Avs strong d play is resulting in the transition.

This is ALL on the coaches. They have not game planned whatsoever between games 2 and 3. This is NOT a play harder issue, it's a play smarter issue.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #532
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
This is NOT a play harder issue, it's a play smarter issue.
Those aren't mutually exclusive.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #533
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Those aren't mutually exclusive.
Outside of the 3rd period, i think every player, including Monahan/lindholm were playing hard. They're just consistently out of place and behind the play due to being in too deep for nothing opportunities.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #534
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next game decides the series I think. If the flames bounce back and win handily I will not he worried about the rest of the series. Not too sure that they will though.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #535
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
On the replay it looked like he actually lifted Mackinnon's stick near his hand, then Mackinnon threw his hand in the air and screamed, prompting a call.
Thats what I thought as well. Seems like they won't call an obvious penalty one time then fall for the soccer theatrics on another. Frustrating.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #536
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The panic is silly around here. With nothing to prove it other than my opinion, I think most home teams win their game 3 on home ice. A Flames win in game 4 and coming home 2-2 puts the Flames in a great spot where they need to win in their own building. The 3M line gets out there for every MacKinnon shift and the top line gets favourable matchups. The panic should be put on hold until around Wednesday evening around 11:30pm. Until then, lets trust that the boys plan to respond in a big way.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #537
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
The panic is silly around here. With nothing to prove it other than my opinion, I think most home teams win their game 3 on home ice. A Flames win in game 4 and coming home 2-2 puts the Flames in a great spot where they need to win in their own building. The 3M line gets out there for every MacKinnon shift and the top line gets favourable matchups. The panic should be put on hold until around Wednesday evening around 11:30pm. Until then, lets trust that the boys plan to respond in a big way.
One one hand, almost all close series are 2-1 at some point.

On the other hand, the Flames need to win 3/4 games against a team that just beat them 2/3 times.

I think the Flames should play Rittich and they should play disciplined, high-skill hockey. If they do these things, I bet they score more goals.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #538
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
One one hand, almost all close series are 2-1 at some point.

On the other hand, the Flames need to win 3/4 games against a team that just beat them 2/3 times.

I think the Flames should play Rittich and they should play disciplined, high-skill hockey. If they do these things, I bet they score more goals.
Except game 2 was a coin flip.
They were 2 minutes from winning in regulation.
Frolik could have scored 10 seconds earlier if that puck was 4 inches higher, Grubs was lucky to be in the right place.
MacKinnon on a semi break is death.

So the Flames legitimately lost game 3. If they rebound and Smith plays exactly the same as games 1-3, they win.

It's not worth the panic, at least not yet.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #539
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Flames need to play like their season is on the line tomorrow, because it probably is.

Win and you steal home ice back, making it a best of 3 with 2 games at home.

Lose and the team is done no doubt about it. An embarrassing 1st round loss would kill my interest in making video highlights anymore.
I get this.

Last night I was at a low. Why? Why do I care? Why should I be a fan? We've put up with so much crap and now that we have had some hope the give us this performance? I don't know if I can handle this anymore.

But you know what? The Flames are my first love. Since I was a little boy and they came to town I have loved the Flames unconditionally. I'm going to put up with them for more disappointments. I just want to be happy with my team. Excited with my team. Proud of the good times. Proud of them doing good in the regular season and if they lose in the playoffs, proud because they put up a good fight. If they think this series has been a good fight.... what an utter disappointment. My interest in the rest of this series may be low. I'm pretty much expecting two more flat performances. It's what the Flames have bred us fans to expect over the past 29 years.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #540
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If we can come out hard and dominate tomorrow like an actual #1 seed i think we can win in 6. If we just look the same old as games 1-3 than were gonna face the same fate as the 2015 Canucks.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote