Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #3641
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
lol Jason, like his best friend Harper who literally attacked Scientists, is the best outcome for Alberta.

High five guys, lower taxes for the richest, no penalties for polluters, good job.

Last year a FB friend said he couldn't afford to fill up his f150, and take a vacation, because of how expensive gas was...

After the USA, Canada has some of the cheapest fuel prices in the west, but no penalty for polluting.
lol, like we'd care what a bunch of bank fraudsters think of us.
I mean, that's all Icelanders are isn't it. I mean, I'm sure I read that in the paper.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #3642
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still haven’t forgiven Iceland for the crap they pulled in the junior goodwill games. They really showed us who they were back then
Old 04-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #3643
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Iceland is actually a HIGHLY educated society, and politically not all that left-leaning relative to other Nordic countries. The Conservative (Independence) party has been the Natural Governing Party there about as long as I can remember.

With that said, comparing Kenney to Trump is a bit much honestly. As educated as Icelanders are they can sometimes be a little bit blind to the differences between Canada and the US, and this is maybe an example. Our political culture is less polarized and way more civilized (at least for now) than our American counterparts’ and maybe the missing piece of information in the commentary Thor referred to is the fact that we’ve had conservative government in alberya for decades with a short NDP interregnum, so its not like electing Kenney is some vast swing to the right or even a departure from the norm.
Oh no! Iceland doesn’t like the election results!

The media reception in CANADA... has been horrendous at best. A true F- grade. It’s filled with inaccuracy, bias, condescension, (massive) ignorance... I could go on but more of a picture of what media has become as opposed to reality. A distorted propaganda piece. CBC’s reporting has been the Epitome of pathetic. They have obviously picked a side, ran with it, and do token gestures of interviews or “facts” (their version of facts and I use that term extremely loosely because they are always loaded facts with no context or true depth).

So if Canada’s media can’t get it even remotely close I have no faith in Iceland’s. And you can chitter chat away about how much smarter and enlightened Iceland’s people are but the reality is- when it comes to the environment- when it comes to climate change- the key issues of the day- is that Alberta and Alberta’s oil patch is in the right on this. And it’s the media and others who are not.

Here are some ####ing facts to face:

-Oil DEMAND is growing worldwide
-It’s expected that demand will continue to rise
-NO oil has been displaced, worldwide, from stopping Canadian pipelines
-Oil is used for an extremely (and I mean extremely) wide variety of things that people don’t even understand. Everything in our lives, and everything in Iceland’s peoples modern lives, uses oil. Think about that. Go research what oil is actually used for. It’s not just transportation, power, or plastic. It is those things, but it’s also everything else in your life. Clothes, computers, manufacturing, food... anyway.

For stupid people still confused I’ll continue:
-Canadian oil, is produced with some of the strictest and highest burden environmental regulatory systems in the world.
-Canadian oil not used, is replaced by other oil, LESS environmentally friendly. LESS. But STILL PRODUCED AND USED. Key word is LESS.

So emissions happen regardless.

All Alberta wants, is for all of these ####ing idiot people to get out of the way. Like- there is demand for a product. You buy it. You use it. You want it. So, take the environmentally friendly option if you’re going to do so.

So no, obviously these basic concepts are lost on the people of Iceland and I’m not sure they are that smart (or at least their media obviously). Just like the people of the Island here. And Quebec. And all the other uneducated morons supporting Saudi oil, or whatever other oil, African oil with no refs where oil flows over rigs and just straight into the oceans for years...

No WONDER the populist movement is afoot. NO wonder people feel there is an elitist bs leftist UNEDUCATED AND IGNORANT movement on social media pushing agendas and causing problems. Learn what you’re protesting you idiots. Unless of course- your bought off and your concern is not actually the environment??????????

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 04-18-2019 at 07:56 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #3644
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

^^

Iceland's primary import is refined petroleum.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #3645
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
^^

Iceland's primary import is refined petroleum.
And I’m sure it’s only the best, most environmentally friendly climate change A+ petroleum. Not from the armpits of corrupt Earth vs Canadian oil where things are done responsibly.

Do people, shocked by the sticker price of the abandonment and reclamation liabilities ever stop to wonder, “hey, at least Alberta’s CALCULATED the number?” “Hey, at least the enforce SOMETHING on oil companies?”

Do you think Equitorial Guinea or Saudi or Iran / Iraq or wherever the #### gives a flying rats ass about abandonment and reclamation liabilities and further- does anyone believe that even if they did- they would be up to the same Canadian standards?

Enough is enough. You HATE the environment and you WANT climate change if you don’t support Canadian oil.

People on the island, and Iceland apparently, are in fact less green than Albertans.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 04-18-2019 at 08:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #3646
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Oh no! Iceland! Not even the Leonardo DiCaprio of countries. Please don't tell me that the 300k people of Iceland have fallen for the BS spewn by American interests, too. What are you more proud of, Iceland? That you're gullible, or that you have no idea about Alberta politics?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #3647
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Am I out of touch?"
"No, it's the climate scientists, other provinces, other countries, and the media who are wrong."

And before anyone has a meltdown, it's a joke.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #3648
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Is this where I post your Trump face pic?

Is it fake news?

You'll run out of steam man, four years is a long run of suffering. Enjoy.
Day 2 already down! Thanks friend!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #3649
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Oh no! Iceland doesn’t like the election results!

The media reception in CANADA... has been horrendous at best. A true F- grade. It’s filled with inaccuracy, bias, condescension, (massive) ignorance... I could go on but more of a picture of what media has become as opposed to reality. A distorted propaganda piece. CBC’s reporting has been the Epitome of pathetic. They have obviously picked a side, ran with it, and do token gestures of interviews or “facts” (their version of facts and I use that term extremely loosely because they are always loaded facts with no context or true depth).

So if Canada’s media can’t get it even remotely close I have no faith in Iceland’s. And you can chitter chat away about how much smarter and enlightened Iceland’s people are but the reality is- when it comes to the environment- when it comes to climate change- the key issues of the day- is that Alberta and Alberta’s oil patch is in the right on this. And it’s the media and others who are not.

Here are some ####ing facts to face:

-Oil DEMAND is growing worldwide
-It’s expected that demand will continue to rise
-NO oil has been displaced, worldwide, from stopping Canadian pipelines
-Oil is used for an extremely (and I mean extremely) wide variety of things that people don’t even understand. Everything in our lives, and everything in Iceland’s peoples modern lives, uses oil. Think about that. Go research what oil is actually used for. It’s not just transportation, power, or plastic. It is those things, but it’s also everything else in your life. Clothes, computers, manufacturing, food... anyway.

For stupid people still confused I’ll continue:
-Canadian oil, is produced with some of the strictest and highest burden environmental regulatory systems in the world.
-Canadian oil not used, is replaced by other oil, LESS environmentally friendly. LESS. But STILL PRODUCED AND USED. Key word is LESS.

So emissions happen regardless.

All Alberta wants, is for all of these ####ing idiot people to get out of the way. Like- there is demand for a product. You buy it. You use it. You want it. So, take the environmentally friendly option if you’re going to do so.

So no, obviously these basic concepts are lost on the people of Iceland and I’m not sure they are that smart (or at least their media obviously). Just like the people of the Island here. And Quebec. And all the other uneducated morons supporting Saudi oil, or whatever other oil, African oil with no refs where oil flows over rigs and just straight into the oceans for years...

No WONDER the populist movement is afoot. NO wonder people feel there is an elitist bs leftist UNEDUCATED AND IGNORANT movement on social media pushing agendas and causing problems. Learn what you’re protesting you idiots. Unless of course- your bought off and your concern is not actually the environment??????????
I read somewhere not too long ago that there is NO scenario in which the global population could reduce its fossil fuel usage to Zero for AT LEAST 50 years from now.

Do we want to extract those resources in places where environmental factors are important, and there are human rights, or places where there are not.

People in Canada who do not support the Canadian Oil & Gas industries simply cannot say they are doing what is the best for the global environment.

At the same time, we must strive to reduce what we use as much as possible, and for what we still do need to use, we must do it as cleanly as possible.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #3650
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Also, has anyone seen final results yet? I don’t even know who won my riding yet - Calgary Falconridge.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #3651
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Oh no! Iceland! Not even the Leonardo DiCaprio of countries. Please don't tell me that the 300k people of Iceland have fallen for the BS spewn by American interests, too. What are you more proud of, Iceland? That you're gullible, or that you have no idea about Alberta politics?
It Is kind of odd that they would follow a foreign country’s provincial election.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 PM   #3652
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I read somewhere not too long ago that there is NO scenario in which the global population could reduce its fossil fuel usage to Zero for AT LEAST 50 years from now.

Do we want to extract those resources in places where environmental factors are important, and there are human rights, or places where there are not.

People in Canada who do not support the Canadian Oil & Gas industries simply cannot say they are doing what is the best for the global environment.

At the same time, we must strive to reduce what we use as much as possible, and for what we still do need to use, we must do it as cleanly as possible.
This is what I've been saying for a while now. On top of that, producing Oil and gas here, and providing incentives to companies to come up with better, more environmentally friendly alternatives, allow us to meet demand now and have the capital to fund new technologies that can be used throughout the world. It allows us to build hospitals and schools and helps to reduce poverty in Alberta and across the country. Does anyone honestly think Oil and Gas companies in Russia, China South America, the USA are going to do any of that?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #3653
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
It Is kind of odd that they would follow a foreign country’s provincial election.
Odd is an understatement! I bet 99.9 percent of people of Iceland have no clue Where Alberta is or that it even exists.

Americans, our closest allies want to end the Great Seal hunt in Saskatchewan. Before you protest this look at a map!

There are people who want to protest about this. A lot of people!

There are people upset Canada uses a 25 hour day as a clock. Upset we have no newspapers. People upset since we are a landlocked nation with no access to water that we would ask the USA to host our Navy.

Foreign interest in Canada? They want us to end seal hunts in Saskatchewan. They want us to have newspapers, and they want us to use a 24 hour clock, not 25 hour clock.

Iceland cares about us?

Hopefully one day we get newspapers in Canada!

I hate to even say this, I have a link for all of this.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #3654
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
"Am I out of touch?"
"No, it's the climate scientists, other provinces, other countries, and the media who are wrong."

And before anyone has a meltdown, it's a joke.
But also kinda not really a joke, is it?

What do you disagree with? Where / how am I out of touch?

Are you sure you’re not out of touch?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:59 PM   #3655
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The meme is Principal Skinner is actually out of touch but says no it is the children. So I would say meme backfire.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:42 AM   #3656
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
lol Jason, like his best friend Harper who literally attacked Scientists, is the best outcome for Alberta.

High five guys, lower taxes for the richest, no penalties for polluters, good job.

Last year a FB friend said he couldn't afford to fill up his f150, and take a vacation, because of how expensive gas was...

After the USA, Canada has some of the cheapest fuel prices in the west, but no penalty for polluting.
Your assertion that there will be no penalties for carbon emissions under Kenney is wrong. He still plans to have regulations imposed on the heavy emitters, I'm guessing similar to the SGER that was implemented in Alberta in 2007 under Stelmach. People tend to forget that Alberta implemented this carbon tax pretty much in line with other Canadian jurisdictions. (For example, BCs was implemented in 2008)

Basing this on what he has stated to Canadian media, I guess we'll see what he actually does though...

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4652145

Last edited by Wiggum_PI; 04-19-2019 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #3657
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Iceland is actually a HIGHLY educated society, and politically not all that left-leaning relative to other Nordic countries.
I'm fairly tall. But not all that tall compared to professional basketball players.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #3658
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord, the salt some have of Iceland's coverage of the Alberta election is real. Some damn interesting assumptions going on in this convo.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #3659
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who cares what Iceland thinks?
Old 04-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #3660
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Funny thing is, the rest of Canada probably thinks the same as Iceland.

Kinda like we're that awkward cousin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread