Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #721
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have ridden for about 90 minutes in -25c with not issues.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #722
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooty View Post
If you can swing the couple hundred extra dollars, a set of DT Swiss wheels with a star-ratchet hub is what I'd recommend. Something like the CR 1600 is usually available right around $1000 for a set. Bomb-proof hubs that are super easy to rebuild and rims are fairly durable. Also if you're commuting in the winter star-ratchet hubs won't freeze up which is a nice bonus. But even the CR 1800 is an okay wheelset at around $550ish if you wanna stay in that budget (just a pawled hub vs ratchet).
Thanks, appreciate the insight. I have zero interest in riding in winter, so would the star-ratchet hubs still be worth it?

It looks like Mavic has something similar with their "instant drive 360" hubs. Any thoughts on how that compares? This is going to sound dumb, but I'm not a fan of the logo being plastered over the DT Swiss wheels (or any bike parts really), so I'm hoping for a cleaner looking wheel.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #723
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I get some upper middle back and neck pain from riding my road bike, so I’m thinking of getting a fit done. Anyone have any suggestions....is it worth it, and where to get it done?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #724
Pooty
Draft Pick

The star ratchet hubs are just a solid design, winter use is just an added bonus, I'd say they'd be worth it but that's just me. The mavic ID360 stuff is supposed to be good but I haven't seen them first hand yet, older ones were more of a pain to rebuild though. But if you're leaning mavic I wouldn't not recommend them or anything.

The graphics are just stickers btw, hair dryer and a couple minutes of your time and you'll have a sexy all black rim

As far as hydraulic brakes in cold weather, they're definitely affected (they don't freeze but they'll get sluggish and pump up a ton, especially if they haven't been bled for a while and there's any water in your lines) probably starting around -15 but only if you're storing or locking your bike up outside for decent amounts of time. The ride itself won't be near enough to affect them as the heat from braking usually keeps em at a decent temp if they start at room temp. I have hydraulics on mine and I'm tempted to switch back to mechanicals next winter cuz my bike's locked outside a lot of the time.
Pooty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pooty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #725
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I get some upper middle back and neck pain from riding my road bike, so I’m thinking of getting a fit done. Anyone have any suggestions....is it worth it, and where to get it done?
i got my bike fit done at bow cycle. it wasn't cheap by any means (i think it was $800) but if you ride a lot and dont have the means to do it yourself then it's a worthwhile investment. I think they have a more basic fit thats much cheaper but it doesnt dial you in nearly as much
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #726
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

$800 feels like it would be a pro-cylist bike fit.

TCR Sport Lab is supposed to be one of the best fitters in the city. I know worth went before his trip to South America.

https://tcrsportlab.com/bike-fitting-and-sizing/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #727
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This years Bow's fit staff is all newer. Doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing, just less experienced. The bike shop has a guy who is a physio as well, which could play into your needs. Nick out of Cranked in Airdrie is one of the best, He's been doing it for a long time, but he's also a racer, and he leans towards that mentality which may not work for you. I went to Gary Alexander. He's a former pro cyclist who lives down my street. He's a little more old school in his methodology but he knows his stuff. Dan Proulx, the coach of the mtb national team has sent people to Gary. Gary doesn't have any of the newer technology like Retul, or newer trainers, he just has years of experience. Gary had to fit me on my old bike, and then I transfered my numbers to my new bike because my new road bike wouldn't fit in his trainer. So that wasn't ideal. If you want Retul or a 3D fit, then cranked would be my choice, but the bike shop could be good as well with the physio aspect. Someone who understands biomechanics should be good as a bike fitter I would think, but I don't know anybody who has been to see him. I know a few people who have gone to Nick, or Gary and they are all happy.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #728
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to TCR. He knows what he’s doing.

Full retul style dynamic bike fit for around $300.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #729
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I forgot about TCR, they did my first fit 15 years ago. It wasn't Cory though. Make sure you get Cory if you go there. The space is kinda cool too. I'd like to try the altitude chamber. I was in it, but just hanging out watching other people train. I was drinking coffee. And based on that, I'm ready to drink coffee at Everest base camp.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #730
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Borderline OT, but I suspect you alls will give me a pass for his one. I have a roof-mount 1-upUSA bike rack on my outback. It's the rack where there are 2 vertical tire-securing arms on each end, roughly 5 feet apart.

Can anyone think of a way to secure a flames flag to this rack? I don't want to punch holes in the flag/zip tie because that may not be secure at highway speeds.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #731
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
i got my bike fit done at bow cycle. it wasn't cheap by any means (i think it was $800) but if you ride a lot and dont have the means to do it yourself then it's a worthwhile investment. I think they have a more basic fit thats much cheaper but it doesnt dial you in nearly as much

$800 is ridiculously expensive. I don't know of any bike stores in Calgary, but I am very familiar with several in Vancouver. The most expensive bike store here, that specializes in bike fitting, provides it for $325. Another one that's big into technology has it for $350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #732
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

$800 for a bike fit - wow. Did it come with titanium chi-chi’s?
Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #733
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Borderline OT, but I suspect you alls will give me a pass for his one. I have a roof-mount 1-upUSA bike rack on my outback. It's the rack where there are 2 vertical tire-securing arms on each end, roughly 5 feet apart.

Can anyone think of a way to secure a flames flag to this rack? I don't want to punch holes in the flag/zip tie because that may not be secure at highway speeds.
That's a quality, thread appropriate question but I don't have answers for you. Zipties would have be my suggestion.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #734
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got out for a 40k spin on the commuter today. Sure seemed odd looking at such a skinny tire.

Planning on commuting to work tomorrow morning via bike.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #735
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had a too close for comfort interaction with a vehicle this morning. I was signaling and turning left when the car behind me decided to go around me on the opposing lane of traffic side. I just about turned into the side of their car as they sped off. I had the right of way and wasn't even stopped (so it's not like I was holding anything up). It's a pretty quiet street heading into Stanley Park so it was very unexpected.

I wish more people would attempt to commute by bike once or twice just only to hopefully become a bit more sympathetic to cyclists.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #736
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ wow. that is quite the driving move. on tuesday i had a short school bus pass me, then almost immeidately come to a dead stop, forcing me out the the curb lane to go to his left. i just thought, you coudln't have waited for me for 22 seconds to clear the area where you were goign to stop.

bought some new goodies yesterday as my cycling shoes were falling apart, so i made the decision to go with flats for my commuter (my mtn bike has flats as well), so i would up picking up new pedals (crank bros stamp composites), new shoes (sepcialized 2fo's), and fort good measure, new rubber for the commuter. i also picked up a new commuting backpack. something that is supposed to be 8L larger than my current pack, but it is definitely lighter......the annual bonus is now spent
Old 04-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #737
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Does anybody know if the path under 17th ave is open yet? The one they closed to build the Forest Lawn BRT bridge.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #738
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Does anybody know if the path under 17th ave is open yet? The one they closed to build the Forest Lawn BRT bridge.
The one on the west side of the river is not, there's a detour to get around it, I rode there last weekend. Not sure about the east side of the river.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #739
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

A local Brompton enthusiast road their bike from Calgary to Edmonton earlier this week.

340.72km and only 983m elevation. Here's their route if anyone is interested in taking on the challenge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2311642953
Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #740
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
A local Brompton enthusiast road their bike from Calgary to Edmonton earlier this week.

340.72km and only 983m elevation. Here's their route if anyone is interested in taking on the challenge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2311642953

Brett is a legend, can't wait to see her tackle the Trans American Bike Race next year. 6800km on a Brompton. Gonna be wild to follow along.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: