Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #161
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Telus Purefibre internet available all over Calgary now, does anyone know?
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #162
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Is Telus Purefibre internet available all over Calgary now, does anyone know?
No
Old 03-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #163
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
No
Thx - was able to confirm with Telus via Twitter this is the case and not in my area, with no ETA.
Just going through the continual struggles with Shaw and WiFi. GUess finally going to break down and get a new router or MESH system. The latter might be overkill for a ~1500 sq ft bungalow with open floor plan. (Any recommendations/experiences welcomed - have read through a bunch of other threads discussing the same, but haven't really determined best option for me just yet).
Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #164
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a 1000 sq foot bungalow and the Asus 2300 in the basement. It's been great, and I have reception way out in my back yard.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #165
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thx - was able to confirm with Telus via Twitter this is the case and not in my area, with no ETA.
Just going through the continual struggles with Shaw and WiFi. GUess finally going to break down and get a new router or MESH system. The latter might be overkill for a ~1500 sq ft bungalow with open floor plan. (Any recommendations/experiences welcomed - have read through a bunch of other threads discussing the same, but haven't really determined best option for me just yet).
If you're using the Shaw modem/router for wifi, I would definitely recommend getting your own router. First, rule out any issues with your actual connection by hardwiring to the modem/router. If that works nicely but wifi is still garbage, then you won't regret getting a decent router by Asus or similar.

I have said it before, but I see Shaw/Telus as the internet provider and nothing more. You'll get better performance and more control by letting the ISP, whoever is is, just provide the internet and you take care of your own network.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #166
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I ditched my consumer Asus router (RT-AC68U) for Ubiquiti Networks a long time ago.

You do need some level of IT knowledge to set them up, but they're in the same price point (or a negligible difference) as some of the "high end" consumer routers, and are 100x better.

Moving from Asus to UBNT gave me far better coverage and signal quality, and the UBNT devices let me manage my network however I want to. The Asus was just far too restrictive for me, and I spent over $200 on it.

For almost the same cost, I picked up a UBNT router and access point, and couldn't be happier. And all of the "our Wifi sucks!!" complaints magically went away!

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=169152
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post: