Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #1121
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
if Control is the progenitor of the Borg, it's doing a pretty terrible job of that. it nukes every sentient being in the galaxy into oblivion...that's sort of makes the whole growing a species via assimilation thing kind of tough.

not every instance of nanobots taking over a person/system is Borg related. I recall at least one TNG episode where the Enterprise got sick with a nanite infection. seems to be a pretty common path for technological miniaturization.

as for Leland, him getting freaking eyeball stabbed while trying to do the power authorization is going to haunt me every time I visit the optometrist. I'm not sure he should have even survived that at all.
I just didn't get that scene at all. There's neither logic nor trope that allows me to process why they went with a needle poke in the eye.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #1122
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I just didn't get that scene at all. There's neither logic nor trope that allows me to process why they went with a needle poke in the eye.
Control has reached the next level of evolution into being a huge a-hole? this being morally gray Section 31 and all, maybe the retinal scanner was equipped with an eye stabber for instances where a bad/unauthorized guy was trying to gain access?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #1123
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Control has reached the next level of evolution into being a huge a-hole? this being morally gray Section 31 and all, maybe the retinal scanner was equipped with an eye stabber for instances where a bad/unauthorized guy was trying to gain access?
The 3 Stooges were ahead of their time regarding security protocols.

Nyuk nyuk.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #1124
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

not Discovery related, but I'm too lazy to hunt down the general Trek thread. I think CC will appreciate this.

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #1125
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And what was the whole point of that at all when it can just become a nanobot octopus on its own and just infect entire fleets of ships without having to be injected into anyone.

Then they just fricking leave the monster stuck to the floor without actually doing anything about it.

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-05-2019 at 11:03 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:44 AM   #1126
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Now I'm going to say this. Just because you can as a writer shouldn't mean that you shouldn't. When you get overly reliant on things like time travel and telepathy you tend to eventually frustrate fans because as a writer you become addicted to being able to fix things in ludicrous ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I have learned to never underestimate Star Trek writers ability to retcon anything in the Star Trek universe after Enterprise.
Some of those ridiculous creative choices that you're frustrated with are probably going to change since it's rumored Discovery isn't doing too well and there will be a very good chance of a CBS/Paramount merger.

A lot of the problems with writing and the weird tonal shifts/incoherent storyline/pacing shifts/retconning, and shoehorning of new stuff into canon Trek since 2009 are because of a forced contractual property rights problem caused by former CBS CEO Les Moonves (of "Friends" and #MeToo sexual harassment fame) forcing writers into ludicrous logical and stylistic acrobatics just to be different.

More about that here from a video Hack&Lube sent me. A bit long but super insightful.

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-06-2019 at 09:40 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #1127
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really liked how they tied in the future of Pike and his choices. Such a shame he is only for one season.

As for Control and an AI turning into what was that - a Nanobot snake? Perfect human interaction skills and can take over a complete fleet yet Discovery is somehow immune for the time being - meh. Leland already being on Discovery and being re-programmed, again meh. Poor writing.

Still, it's better than no series at all.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #1128
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Best episode of the season, hands down.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #1129
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Don't disagree, I did like it. They've upped their game over the last 2 or 3 episodes by putting in a actual physical enemy and by simplifying things and focuses on one or two story lines.

And yes I did cheer at the vision of the future where
Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #1130
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

They've said any cast member can be killed.

Well except for all the ones we know won't be killed.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #1131
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Was that episode longer than an hour? My PVR recording didn’t seem to get to the end.

EDIT: pVR cutoff exactly at the end of the episode, and before the credits.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 04-14-2019 at 10:30 AM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #1132
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I have to say that honestly, that last episode is one of the finest Star Trek episodes I have ever seen, this whole season has really turned me into a big fan of this series.

Still, a lot of room for improvement but for now I am very happy.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #1133
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The second half of this season has been consistently good, which also coincides with when they brought on Michelle Paradise as a writer/co-showrunner to replace the other two losers fired for bullying staff. She's been announced as the showrunner for season 3, so, good signs!

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 04-16-2019 at 11:06 AM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #1134
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I know they're producing a bunch of Trek shows now but damn do I want a Pike Captained show now. Anson Mount was fantastic.

I could do without the Section 31 show.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #1135
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I know they're producing a bunch of Trek shows now but damn do I want a Pike Captained show now. Anson Mount was fantastic.

I could do without the Section 31 show.

Anson Mount is great in the role, and at the risk of sounding harsh, he's amazing because he doesn't burst out laughing at Michaels' emotional faces.

He's to me been the best part of this season.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #1136
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy fracking sand i just read that Pike's Number One was played by Rebecca Romijn, and i can't believe i didn't catch that. i was thinking the other day while watching 'hmm, we saw her earlier in the season didn't we?' and..yeah, i got nothing

To whom do I surrender my geek cufflinks?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #1137
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well that's season two, the show improved quite a bit over the last few episodes under a new creative direction. Saying that

I wasn't really crazy about the finale

Spoiler!

Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #1138
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek Discovery

I might have missed something, but after Control was stopped, why did Michael and Discovery still need to jump to the future? I thought with Leland’s / Controls death, that was the end of the threat.

Anyway, I thought the episode was good, save for the wonky gravity fight between Georgiou, Leland, and Nhan gave me a headache.

Last edited by Wormius; 04-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #1139
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that they felt that no matter what the sphere data would remain a threat.

I thought it was strange that they didn't abort the plan with Leland still alive and aboard the discovery.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #1140
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Agree with the previous three posts.

-Battle scene gave me a headache and wasn't enjoyable. Lots of firing going on with nothing actually to see. I don't think we saw one ship actually get destroyed
-Why go to the future if Control is toast? I suppose it's to safeguard the data from something else?
-I actually don't know which crew we're following next season? Obviously it's Discovery but... No preview at all with what is to come
-Time travel is the norm 900 years in the future and Starfleet seems to correct these 'incursions.' I guess that's all out the window
-Really enjoyed the last scene with Michael & Spock. Extremely well done. Unfortunate it wasn't realistic with all hell breaking loose around them
-Shields are gone but hey, let's cross a few wires & they're back up to 40%

Season 2 was way better than the first. Let's hope like in true Star Trek fashion, the series keeps getting better