Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #521
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Giroux is the highest scoring Canadian over the last three seasons and has been hot after a slow start.

Don't understand how you leave him off and put Nash on over him.
he's also an unreliable perimeter player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
And he's Ovechkin's shadow.
This.

Team Canada is assembled as a championship tournament roster, not an all-star team.

Need speed, size, goal scoring and most importantly 2-way reliability more than playmaking and distribution.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
How does the number of playoff games the Bruins won *this last season* have anything to do with their number of draft picks in the last three calendar years?

Last edited by Flash Walken; 01-07-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #522
codynw
Franchise Player
 
codynw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHopper View Post
Nice to get back in the win column!

Why is there such a discrepancy between games when it comes to effort?

Karri Ramo good again stopping 22 of 25 shots. Goaltending has been consistent and good this season.

Quite a "quiet" game by Joe Colbourne, only played 11:41 but still had a goal, an assist, +1, 71% in the face off, 2pim, 2 hits and a blocked shot.

Not a bad game Joe, time to give this guy some more minutes.

Give him some of Backlund's minutes (20:06 and 1 assist) who was pretty much responsible for the third goal against the Flames last night. He was looking at Brodie's guy when he should have been covering Stastny.

Nice opening goal by Sean Monahan, that's how the NHL is now, you need to score the first goal.

Overall team stats were pretty even with Colorado going 2/4 on the power play and the Flames 1/3 and ended up the game winning goal.

Like I've been saying all year, this game is about special teams.

Good Game and good win, let's see if the Flames can make it 2 in a row tonight.
This isn't a post complaining about Nash or Carter, what are you doing!?
__________________
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #523
timbit
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobHopper View Post
Nice to get back in the win column!

Why is there such a discrepancy between games when it comes to effort?

Karri Ramo good again stopping 22 of 25 shots. Goaltending has been consistent and good this season.

Quite a "quiet" game by Joe Colbourne, only played 11:41 but still had a goal, an assist, +1, 71% in the face off, 2pim, 2 hits and a blocked shot.

Not a bad game Joe, time to give this guy some more minutes.

Give him some of Backlund's minutes (20:06 and 1 assist) who was pretty much responsible for the third goal against the Flames last night. He was looking at Brodie's guy when he should have been covering Stastny.

Nice opening goal by Sean Monahan, that's how the NHL is now, you need to score the first goal.

Overall team stats were pretty even with Colorado going 2/4 on the power play and the Flames 1/3 and ended up the game winning goal.

Like I've been saying all year, this game is about special teams.

Good Game and good win, let's see if the Flames can make it 2 in a row tonight.
Having a problem with focus and putting things in the proper place?

Employers are not fond of those deficiencies.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #524
V
Franchise Player
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Exp:
Default

ThreadHopper
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #525
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Having a problem with focus and putting things in the proper place?

Employers are not fond of those deficiencies.
I spotted it and corrected it before hardly anyone even noticed so it's all good.
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #526
moon
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lethbridge
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
St. Louis deserved to be there this year and deserved to be there four years ago. Hockey Canada and its club politics is ridiculous sometimes.
Lol politics.

We just saw kids that had nothing to do with Hockey Canada get chosen over HC mainstays for the WJHC and still people come back with this crap.

I am sure it was politics that had his own f'ing GM keep him off the team. If anything politics would have helped him.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #527
CaptainYooh
#1 Goaltender
 
CaptainYooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
we still need a forward named Stills.
Too many youngsters here to even understand this remark. How sad...
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #528
moon
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lethbridge
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
I can.

Overthinking it again. Here's a really easy quiz question for you: of these four players, who is the best at playing hockey?

Chris Kunitz
Patrick Marleau
Jeff Carter
Claude Giroux

They should have taken their best players, and they left two of them at home.
Carter
Giroux
Kunitz



Marleau

Kunitz much better fit for the team needing left wingers than Giroux and difference not that much to take him over Kunitz.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #529
JobHopper
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default So This Is The Golden Team

I guess I'm not really a fan of some of those players on that team but they can't please everyone.

They have a lot of good players to choose from so hopefully the picked the winning team.

Go Canada and bring home the gold!
JobHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #530
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi
 
Philly06Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Exp:
Default

How about Giroux v Duchene?

Both are speedy young centres. I'd say Giroux has proven his ability more than Duchene. Giroux is better defensively -- takes a regular PK shift, Duchene doesn't. Giroux knows how to step up in big games -- i.e. playoffs vs Pittsburgh. Can be physical -- laid out Crosby in said playoffs. Can adjust and score goals -- 8 G in 10 Playoff games last playoffs.

I take Giroux over Duchene any day of the week
__________________
Star Wars is lame.
Philly06Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #531
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
How about Giroux v Duchene?

Both are speedy young centres. I'd say Giroux has proven his ability more than Duchene. Giroux is better defensively -- takes a regular PK shift, Duchene doesn't. Giroux knows how to step up in big games -- i.e. playoffs vs Pittsburgh. Can be physical -- laid out Crosby in said playoffs. Can adjust and score goals -- 8 G in 10 Playoff games last playoffs.

I take Giroux over Duchene any day of the week
Not me.

Giroux in my opinion is much worse defensively.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
How does the number of playoff games the Bruins won *this last season* have anything to do with their number of draft picks in the last three calendar years?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #532
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
he's also an unreliable perimeter player.
Giroux may be skilled and small but he isn't strictly a perimeter player.

Big game player. (55 points in 50 playoff games)

Plays a gritty game. (Playoff series vs Crosby)

I get that some guys are going to be left off the team but IMO that one is a pretty big omission.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #533
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, California
Exp:
Default

I still can't believe Claude Giroux never made this team. He is the biggest snub for me. Giroux, Thornton, and St. Louis should have been there

Jeff Carter, Rick Nash and Chris Kunitz are the three guys who I think for sure should not have made it.

This team could have been a lot better.
__________________
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #534
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback
 
East Coast Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
How about Giroux v Duchene?

Both are speedy young centres. I'd say Giroux has proven his ability more than Duchene. Giroux is better defensively -- takes a regular PK shift, Duchene doesn't. Giroux knows how to step up in big games -- i.e. playoffs vs Pittsburgh. Can be physical -- laid out Crosby in said playoffs. Can adjust and score goals -- 8 G in 10 Playoff games last playoffs.

I take Giroux over Duchene any day of the week
I think Giroux should be on the team, but no way would I take him over Duchene.

Duchene has been an absolute monster this year while Giroux played himself off the team because of his start to the season.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #535
moon
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lethbridge
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
How about Giroux v Duchene?

Both are speedy young centres. I'd say Giroux has proven his ability more than Duchene. Giroux is better defensively -- takes a regular PK shift, Duchene doesn't. Giroux knows how to step up in big games -- i.e. playoffs vs Pittsburgh. Can be physical -- laid out Crosby in said playoffs. Can adjust and score goals -- 8 G in 10 Playoff games last playoffs.

I take Giroux over Duchene any day of the week
Can Giroux play LW?

If not he isn't likely in competition with Duchene.

I would likely take Duchene over Giroux either way.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #536
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Exp:
Default

This team has 0 chance at gold. Team Canada fails once again. How do you leave the best play maker in the world off the team? Thornton deserves to be there. This team screams 4 first pp units. Hardly any team oriented players.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #537
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
This team has 0 chance at gold. Team Canada fails once again. How do you leave the best play maker in the world off the team? Thornton deserves to be there. This team screams 4 first pp units. Hardly any team oriented players.
Are you really complaining about our centre depth?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isn’t 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #538
FakenHaken
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Can Giroux play LW?

If not he isn't likely in competition with Duchene.

I would likely take Duchene over Giroux either way.
I think Giroux is fantastic. I have him as a protectable center in my hockey pool. Your comments Moon are correct here though. Steve Yzerman is or was picking a team not an all star team to go to Sochi. Time will tell if he is correct. I really hope he is correct, but just because Giroux might be better than any one of the guys such as others that were selected doesn't mean he just automatically slots in because he plays forward again Yzerman was picking Team Canada not All Star Team Canada.
FakenHaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #539
heep223
Could Care Less
 
heep223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
While Giroux definitely should have been on the team, there's too much Carter hate.

He's a leading scorer in the league over the last five years. And he makes extremely timely goals. Big ice surface or not, you still need big players to park themselves in front of the net.
Plus he's a RH shot.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #540
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

They didn't want a bunch of centres playing out position, so Nash, Marleau, and Kunitz make sense.

Nash was one of the best forwards on Team Canada at the last Olympics once he was moved onto the line with Toews. He'll play there again, and his size, skating, and ability to play without the puck on the big ice will be valuable.

Same with Marleau, though I think he slots in as the 13 or 14th forward.

Like Team USA, the Team Canada braintrust are putting a premium on play without the puck and not getting burned by defensive lapses.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
get on with it , speaker battle

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016