Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2023, 02:02 AM   #4861
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Looking at joining our friends for a week in Mexico, Sunwing is offering the same All Inclusive package as WestJet for my family of 4 at a savings of about $1700.

Can I trust Sunwing or are we in for an absolute S-show if we book with them ?
I'd personally be very wary of using a LCC to fly to a leisure destination that they service 1x weekly, but $1,700 is a lot of money.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:41 AM   #4862
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some travel agents refuse to work with discount carriers. Be wary.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 05:28 AM   #4863
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first flight in a long time, fired up for a way overdue trip. 5:30 AM airport beers let's goooo
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 05:41 AM   #4864
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at joining our friends for a week in Mexico, Sunwing is offering the same All Inclusive package as WestJet for my family of 4 at a savings of about $1700.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...ion-of-sunwing

Westjet owns Sunwing now, so that's probably why the price is the same. I don't think you have to worry anymore about SW. With WJ's assets they have a lot of resources to get you home compared to what SW had.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 07:27 AM   #4865
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sunwing is fine. Worth the savings.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 07:31 AM   #4866
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see so many horror stories about Sunwing vacations going sideways in the news.

Seems like something where you assume the risk, "you know what you're getting into" or "you get what you pay for". Kinda like reading about drunk driving or people on electric scooters eating pavement.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:38 AM   #4867
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I see so many horror stories about Sunwing vacations going sideways in the news.

Seems like something where you assume the risk, "you know what you're getting into" or "you get what you pay for". Kinda like reading about drunk driving or people on electric scooters eating pavement.
Pre Covid I’d used Sunwing quite a few times over about 15years and never had any issues with their all inclusive holidays to Mexico. Except leg room… not made for tall people but then who is?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:05 AM   #4868
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
My first flight in a long time, fired up for a way overdue trip. 5:30 AM airport beers let's goooo
I'm on my first ever flight with Porter as we speak, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Everything is complimentary, including alcohol. Free WiFi as long as you watch a 15 second commercial every 30 minutes. Drinking a complimentary Steam Whistle and CPing. I'm 15,000 feet above you sonsabitches!

Pretty sparse flight too, got the row to myself. Maybe because the company is so new, or also perhaps due to the ungodly departure time. Either way it's pretty great.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-11-2023 at 09:07 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 09:07 AM   #4869
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm on my first ever flight with Porter as we speak, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Everything is complimentary, including alcohol. Free WiFi as long as you watch a 15 second commercial every 30 minutes. Drinking a complimentary Steam Whistle and CPing.

Pretty sparse flight too, got the row to myself. Maybe because the company is so new, or also perhaps due to the ungodly departure time. Either way it's pretty great.
This you?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...240Z/CYYC/CYYZ
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:08 AM   #4870
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yessir! Yeah and we're also ahead of schedule. I recommend
Old 08-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #4871
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only problem is the destination!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:17 AM   #4872
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I went to Mexico with them last year. It was great, no problems. Saved a ton compared to WJ+AC.

I have family members that have used them several times with no problems.

I would use them again without hesitation.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:18 AM   #4873
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yessir! Yeah and we're also ahead of schedule. I recommend
My daughter took this flight last week, that 5am drop off at the airport was bruuuutal. I was also jealous she was getting to check out Porter and the E295.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 09:18 AM   #4874
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If flying Sunwing upgrade to premium ($100 each I think). The express check in in Mexico on the at back makes it worth it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:19 AM   #4875
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My daughter took this flight last week, that 5am drop off at the airport was bruuuutal. I was also jealous she was getting to check out Porter and the E295.
Haha yikes, I believe it. Yeah it was originally a 7:55 AM departure but switched to 6:30 AM after I booked it, that was a lovely update to receive...but complimentary everything on a sparse flight had more than made up for it.

Yeah check it out if you can, I'm sure it won't be complimentary everything forever. Probably trying to attract new customers.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:23 AM   #4876
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha yikes, I believe it. Yeah it was originally a 7:55 AM departure but switched to 6:30 AM after I booked it, that was a lovely update to receive...but complimentary everything on a sparse flight had more than made up for it.

Yeah check it out if you can, I'm sure it won't be complimentary everything forever. Probably trying to attract new customers.
No I think that is Porter's thing, the complimentary drinks and such. Believe they've been doing it since the start with the Q400's out of Billy Bishop. I'd definitely try them out if flying to YYZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 09:37 AM   #4877
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that;s a great time for the flyer. You still have most of your day once you arrive at YYZ.
Old 08-11-2023, 09:51 AM   #4878
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Question to those who have recently renewed their passport: It's my understanding that the passport printing machines are being gradually updated. Which passport offices are still offering the old design right now?
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:28 AM   #4879
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Question to those who have recently renewed their passport: It's my understanding that the passport printing machines are being gradually updated. Which passport offices are still offering the old design right now?
Making them is farmed out to the Canadian Bank Note Company and it's so secret there's no way to really tell. Some applications from the same office could get the new, some old at the moment.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 AM   #4880
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As mentioned by others Sunwing is owned by WestJet now which should go a long way to stabilize them. I've used them in the past and the only reason why I would be hesitant now is the seat pitch (ie legroom). It's tough to shoehorn a big guy like myself into those seats for a longer flight. But other than that no problems.

They got a bad rap last winter. That was partly on them and partly on the Feds who screwed them over last minute making their business model almost impossible to implement.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote