Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2023, 05:23 PM   #10041
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just had to double-check: the next US federal election is 18 months from now. 560 days. Good lord...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 05:59 PM   #10042
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Just had to double-check: the next US federal election is 18 months from now. 560 days. Good lord...
It should be illegal to campaign for that long.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2023, 10:04 PM   #10043
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It should be illegal to campaign for that long.
Especially when many Americans have already cast their ballot.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:08 PM   #10044
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Lol
We’re going to still cling to that being an important issue on how you would vote. Sad.
Why wouldn't intelligence be an important issue on how you vote?

In fact it should be one of the top things you look for in any leader, let alone the leader of the most powerful nation in the world.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 08:07 AM   #10045
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ted Cruz implicated in planning Jan 6th insurrection from calls published in the Abby Grossberg lawsuit. Special Counsel Jack Smith and the DOJ have now asked for the tapes.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1650991037836591107

Last edited by FlameOn; 04-26-2023 at 08:26 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 10:45 AM   #10046
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Disney is suing DeSantis: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/flo...es-2023-04-26/

Quote:
"The company is left with no choice but to file this lawsuit to protect its cast members, guests, and local development partners from a relentless campaign to weaponize government power against Disney in retaliation for expressing a political viewpoint unpopular with certain State officials," the company said in its lawsuit.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 11:51 AM   #10047
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
JFC... Forget politics for a second

I don't understand him, or Trump for that matter, wanting to run for anything, much less President at that age.

is the lust for power that big?!

I'd happily be retired for 30 years if I am lucky... I just find it weird...but power is a helluva drug I guess...This applies to everyone over 70 still in government....Nancy (just retired i know), Chuck, Kevin, Mitch....
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 11:53 AM   #10048
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
JFC... Forget politics for a second

I don't understand him, or Trump for that matter, wanting to run for anything, much less President at that age.

is the lust for power that big?!

I'd happily be retired for 30 years if I am lucky... I just find it weird...but power is a helluva drug I guess...This applies to everyone over 70 still in government....Nancy (just retired i know), Chuck, Kevin, Mitch....
Needs to be law that you cannot run for any level of office if you're >75 years old.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #10049
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I've said this before, but there is no problem on earth I'd run to a boomer for help with. Their life experience just isn't that valuable or relevant in today's world. The fact that they're running the USA is frightening AF.

Not saying they didn't put in their time and run the world - for better or worse - during their prime, but they need to sit the #### down and let the people who know what the #### is going on take it from here.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 12:07 PM   #10050
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing Biden was hoping that someone would rise up and take over, but that hasn't happened. Harris hasn't really built up a following. Bernie isn't a good gamble, and is just as old. The progressives seem to have demonized Pete and Klobuchur for whatever reasons.

With Trump running again, I think Biden sees it as his duty to run if he is the best bet to keep Trump out.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #10051
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I'm guessing Biden was hoping that someone would rise up and take over, but that hasn't happened. Harris hasn't really built up a following. Bernie isn't a good gamble, and is just as old. The progressives seem to have demonized Pete and Klobuchur for whatever reasons.

With Trump running again, I think Biden sees it as his duty to run if he is the best bet to keep Trump out.
You do have to admit though, at 81, Bernie is still sharp as a nail.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:34 PM   #10052
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
Why wouldn't intelligence be an important issue on how you vote?

In fact it should be one of the top things you look for in any leader, let alone the leader of the most powerful nation in the world.
100% agreed. Remember, Yoho and intelligence are mutually exclusive terms.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #10053
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this has a lot to do with the party. Incumbents usually have a pretty big advantage and I bet the party feels they need that advantage.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #10054
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Needs to be law that you cannot run for any level of office if you're >75 years old.
Based on cognitive decline I would say 60 years old should be the limit. You cannot begin a term in office after your 60th birthday. That means the most senior of senators would be serving until they were maximum 65 years of age, and representatives out by 62. I also believe that serving in congress should have some sort of "life experience" requirement and no one shall take office prior to their 35th birthday. So if you're a life long politician that means you can only be in office for maximum 30 years, but likely less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I've said this before, but there is no problem on earth I'd run to a boomer for help with. Their life experience just isn't that valuable or relevant in today's world. The fact that they're running the USA is frightening AF.
That just doesn't make sense. All people are capable of bringing perspective to the table and providing valuable advice. You should always seek counsel on matters from all age groups, especially political matters that influence all age groups, and formulate a strategy based on a compilation of points of view. Suggesting a "boomer" doesn't understand today's world is laughable seeing as "boomers" built the world we live in. I don't think an octogenarian should be making decisions in isolation, but their wisdom should be included as important information in informing decisions (as a consultant for example).

Quote:
Not saying they didn't put in their time and run the world - for better or worse - during their prime, but they need to sit the #### down and let the people who know what the #### is going on take it from here.
Interesting. Who exactly would those leaders be? George Santos? Lauren Boebert? Dan Crenshaw? Matt Gaetz? Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? Marjorie Taylor Greene? The folks who believe listening to social media is how you govern? Yeah, no thanks. I'm hopeful that millennials and Gen Zers (first Gen Zer is serving in congress - Max Frost [D-FL]) will make a lot of the culture war issues disappear, but they are completely unprepared to take on the larger issues, especially diplomacy. I'll be thankful we still have some of the old guard around to rely upon for understanding how to read a room and negotiate while the younger generation get past their cellphones (see, ageist slights are easy to make). We need fewer of those dinosaurs, but still need the institutional and historical knowledge to keep the government together and nations working with each other.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 04-26-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 03:07 PM   #10055
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Whatabout advice around getting your sweetie to accept a date to the ice cream social so you can canoodle while sipping a root beer float?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 03:09 PM   #10056
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's ChatGPT for that.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:19 PM   #10057
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Brian Kolfage, the guy who ran the GoFundMe to build the wall, was sentenced to 51 months in prison for stealing the donations.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr...g-fraud-scheme
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 03:33 PM   #10058
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Now do Trump for the exact same thing - multiple times and multiple issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2023, 04:15 PM   #10059
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not too supportive of upper age limits to run or to serve in office. If someone's healthy and still mentally clear, I don't really mind how old they are. One of the most creative, bright, and productive friends I have must be in his mid-seventies. I would have guessed he was late-fifties based on his appearance before I started piecing together some of his life experiences but in terms of his mental capacities and vitality he could be in his thirties, and he's very knowledgeable and forward thinking on innovation. He also has accumulated a lot of wisdom over the years and I have loads of respect for his insights and advice.

The disadvantage I see with having such old politicians is that the longer people live and the longer they have plugged into networks and career, the more time they have to build up the professional and social capital to compete in politics, and that this creates a huge advantage for older participants against younger participants. I don't see that as particularly healthy, as it just means that entrenched powers stay entrenched and you get very powerful barriers to change along with a quasi-permanent governing class who are also largely gatekeepers for access to political power. Maybe that's not something that can really be avoided in the end. I imagine even if you set the limit at 45, you would still have the same entrenched influences playing their parts.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:31 PM   #10060
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny thing about Biden is that he has always been a little flakey and prone to gaffs. He also deals with a speech impediment so it takes him a little more focus and sometimes time to get his thoughts out. People who didn't know much about Biden until he was already a senior citizen think that it's because he is old, but that is just him. He seems pretty much the same now as he did 20 years ago.