Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Thanks to CP from Viktor and Inna (Ukrainian Refugees)

A couple of people have asked me for updates on the below, and so I wanted to pass along a big "Thank You" to the CP community from Viktor and Inna as they really appreciate the funds from the gofundme that were contributed by CPers. They and their descendants are still living with the host family in Calgary, 12 people in all (them, their kids/spouses, and grand-kids). Sadly one of the younger men had a job offer from Canada Post rescinded because he wasn't able to get his police check from Ukraine back in time, which is too bad as that would have been a good job/benefits etc.

For those who are wondering what I'm talking about I'll put the original posts below (they are in the Ukraine/Russia thread). I did want to make this it's own thread as I'm at the point now where I can't even look at the Ukraine/Russia one anymore but did want to have a place I can give updates as some of you have contributed generously (and anonymously) so I think it's fair that you hear how things are going. Anyone who would like to contribute now is welcome, the link is in the second quoted post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I had the most amazing experience today and this seems like the place to share it.

Some of you know that when I was a teenager both my (now) wife and myself took a summer volunteer trip to Ukraine. We were mostly working with kids in a rural area, and it absolutely rips me apart that the 3-5 year olds I spent the summer reading to and playing games with are now almost certainly all engaged in a brutal war for survival. I'm often on CP late at night now because I can't sleep thinking about it.

A bunch of us were billeted with an amazing family in this little village. They took care of us, fed us, and were just wonderful hosts. Today, my wife got a whats app message (kind of a friend-of-a-friend thing) that someone was looking for winter clothing for some Ukrainian refugees who have kids a bit younger than ours, and did we have any extras/hand-me-downs that would suit. As the conversation progressed, she found out some information about the family.

It turns out that the family who billeted us in Ukraine ~20 years ago has fled the country. The parents, their two children, the children's spouses, and the grandchildren are all living temporarily with a family IN CALGARY. I have no idea what the odds of this are, it seems astronomical to me. Obviously we'll be doing the winter clothes and more, and we haven't made it down to see them yet as we just found out today. I'm sort of in shock and am a bit unsure of exactly what to do next, but had to share it somewhere and this thread seemed like a reasonable place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
So a month after I made the post below I have finally worked through some details on this. I've had a number of CPers reach out to me about wanting to help here, which I deeply appreciate. Viktor and Inna (the people we stayed with) are still living with the host family (along with all their descendants) so they don't have much room for additional 'stuff' until they are able to get at least one place of their own. They got connected with a church in the south that has been providing most of the things they need. The biggest thing that they do still have a need for is at least one reliable vehicle. They are all trying to get jobs, etc, and the place they are staying is suburban enough that a reliable car is a pre-condition for that.

I've started a gofundme for them to raise money for a used vehicle/insurance (which is expensive with no Canadian driving history). It can be found here:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/viktor-and-irena?

I feel bad that it took this long, but it was quite a process - they needed a Canadian bank account, and gofundme has an elevated approval process for fundraisers using the word Ukraine in them right now for obvious reasons.

I do want to speak to that as well. I recognize that gofundme has been controversial on CP and that there have been issues in the past. If the mods won't allow this I will absolutely take it down with my apologies. That said, I really do believe this is an excellent cause. These are wonderful, kind, generous people who are starting over late in life through no fault of their own, and could use a hand up. I'm not personally benefiting in any way, shape, or form, and to be honest had to be encouraged to share this with you all as I'm uncomfortable asking the community for things. I've had literally thousands of posts over the last 14 years I've been on CP and don't believe I've ever asked the community for anything, but I would appreciate any support you could give for this. Whether monetarily, sharing the link, anything is appreciated!

Last edited by bizaro86; 11-14-2022 at 05:09 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: