Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #421
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Mourinho!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #422
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Leicester City's bid to officially complete the £22m signing of Adrien Silva before January is hanging in the balance after they missed the deadline to register him by just 14 seconds.

Fifa have refused to accept Silva’s registration after his move from Sporting Lisbon, five days after the deal and terms were agreed late on deadline-day.

And it has emerged that is because Leicester failed to register the player by a matter of seconds, meaning Silva is unlikely to be able to play for the club until the New Year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...ne-14-seconds/

14 seconds. That's gotta suck for everybody involved.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #423
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...ne-14-seconds/

14 seconds. That's gotta suck for everybody involved.
So weird. I suppose deadlines are deadlines though? And in what world is Mahrez worth 50m? Sure two years ago he was but last year he wasn't good and so far he hasn't looked good this season. I can't see anyone putting that kind of money toward him unless they're one of the chronic over-spenders.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #424
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have to do the right thing with Silva

That's not circumvention or anything which a deadline is there to enforce, this is someone's career and taking away 4 months of it over 14 seconds would be idiotic

Now idiotic is peak FIFA so who knows
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #425
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow, De Boer is really setting the pace in the sack race. Hanging by a thread after three games.

Quote:
Frank de Boer appears to have one more game to save his Crystal Palace job after the Dutchman took training on Wednesday.

Palace chairman Steve Parish has held talks with De Boer, following the club’s dismal start to the season in which they have lost all three Premier League games without scoring a goal.

It is understood that Palace have thought long and hard about sacking De Boer during the international break, with the 47-year-old needing to indicate a willingness to change his approach to stand any chance of clinging on to his job.

But it seems De Boer will now get Sunday’s trip to Burnley to demonstrate that he can adapt and improve results, otherwise he will almost certainly be sacked.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...game-save-job/
Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #426
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
They have to do the right thing with Silva

That's not circumvention or anything which a deadline is there to enforce, this is someone's career and taking away 4 months of it over 14 seconds would be idiotic

Now idiotic is peak FIFA so who knows
they surely won't make an exception. I remember Red Bull Salzburg once missed the deadline by a minute or so when they tried to sign Robert Vittek from a Turkish club a few years ago, and they didn't make an exception either. I kind of get it too - you simply don't want to set a precedent either because then everybody wants an exception. It's just brutal for the parties involved, but I understand the "deadline is deadline" stance for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #427
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
they surely won't make an exception. I remember Red Bull Salzburg once missed the deadline by a minute or so when they tried to sign Robert Vittek from a Turkish club a few years ago, and they didn't make an exception either. I kind of get it too - you simply don't want to set a precedent either because then everybody wants an exception. It's just brutal for the parties involved, but I understand the "deadline is deadline" stance for sure.
Ditto, it really makes you wonder though how people who negotiate for a living let it get that down to the wire.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #428
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ditto, it really makes you wonder though how people who negotiate for a living let it get that down to the wire.
the whole thing was dependent on Drinkwater going to Chelsea, plus Sporting thought they were selling Carvalho instead before Spurs and West Ham pulled out. I'm usually firmly in the "just do your business early"-boat, but it's not always straightforward. Moving pieces.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #429
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the whole thing was dependent on Drinkwater going to Chelsea, plus Sporting thought they were selling Carvalho instead before Spurs and West Ham pulled out. I'm usually firmly in the "just do your business early"-boat, but it's not always straightforward. Moving pieces.
Lol, well I haven't brought it up here because it's too sad to make fun of in a lot of ways, but have you seen the comments between Sporting and West Ham on the Carvalho debacle? It's completely hilarious. I think you keep up on all this, but some of the memes and such are great. Poor Kipper is King.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #430
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Premier League clubs have agreed the summer transfer window will end at 5pm on the Thursday before the start of the season.

Clubs will still be able to sell players to other leagues until their transfer windows close. The vote was not unanimous.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...-window-start/
Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #431
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Lol, well I haven't brought it up here because it's too sad to make fun of in a lot of ways, but have you seen the comments between Sporting and West Ham on the Carvalho debacle? It's completely hilarious. I think you keep up on all this, but some of the memes and such are great. Poor Kipper is King.
It's great

Don't google it at work for anyone looking
Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #432
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's great

Don't google it at work for anyone looking
If that planned protest for Monday against Huddersfield goes ahead though it will be amazing!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #433
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What? Point me in the right direction!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #434
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What? Point me in the right direction!
Well the ongoing battle is about whether WHU actually made a bid for Carvalho. They claim they did but couldn't get it done in time, whereas Sporting says there was no bid. Things escalated when WHU was going to pursue legal action. At some point in there a guy from Sporting (I can't recall his position) referred to the WHU owners as the dildo brothers (which is something they've been affectionately referred to for years on Spurs forums!) He claimed that this is what the players call them!

So the supporters are irate at what a mockery the club has become. But the glory is you can find shields made, Paddy Power put them out as a wrestling tag team and all kinds of amusing photoshops and such based on that. Apparently the match against Huddersfield is set for some kind of protest where fans are going to throw dildos. I don't know how they could get them through security...but then again perhaps there is somewhere they could insert them to get them through the gates?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #435
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are the comments and such in this article. http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...lliam-Carvalho
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #436
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Surprised only 14 were in favor, with 1 abstain

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattDunnE...09795894190081
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #437
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Surprised only 14 were in favor, with 1 abstain

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattDunnE...09795894190081
yeah the Manc clubs and Watford voting against it has been expected. Wonder who the other two teams were.

EDIT: Crystal Palace and Swansea were the others. Burnley abstained.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...-start-season/

Last edited by devo22; 09-07-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #438
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here are the comments and such in this article. http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...lliam-Carvalho
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #439
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty crazy how the pitch and touchline are going to work at the new Spurs stadium.

http://www.espnfc.com/tottenham-hots...for-new-ground
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #440
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll admit, I know nothing of Britain's appetite for the NFL, but since they have Rugby, why do they care?

Its a much better game.