Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #21
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I agree, though I’ve heard that his wife’s condition could play a factor in him choosing to leave for warmer weather. If that’s the case then I can’t hold it against him if he leaves.
I wonder how COVID will affect free agency. Will players be more reluctant to relocate if it means having to move their families out during a pandemic?

Do more players fight for NTC for certainties? Do cities with low/high rates become more/less attractive to players? Especially those who's family may have comorbidities?

There could be a couple unique situations were players limit themselves to very few, if not one, team. Hamonic for instance. But maybe Brodie too. He might have to make a call on what's best for his wife and no one can blame him for that.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #22
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I wonder how COVID will affect free agency. Will players be more reluctant to relocate if it means having to move their families out during a pandemic?

Do more players fight for NTC for certainties? Do cities with low/high rates become more/less attractive to players? Especially those who's family may have comorbidities?

There could be a couple unique situations were players limit themselves to very few, if not one, team. Hamonic for instance.
I think Covid gives the Canadian teams a unique advantage heading into free agency.

The US is still at nearly 50k new cases a DAY.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #23
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I agree, though I’ve heard that his wife’s condition could play a factor in him choosing to leave for warmer weather. If that’s the case then I can’t hold it against him if he leaves.

I’d love to see him back though.
I totally forgot about his wife’s health. I won’t blame him at all if he chooses to not re-sign, health is way more important.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brian Campbell and Dan Boyle also got paid. Neither were great moves by their signing teams.

Dan Boyle was threatened (his words) by Tampa's management and ownership to waive his NTC. Likely amounted to being placed on waivers if he refused. Brian Campbell was part of the cap-hit purge done by the Hawks after the win due to his huge cap-hit. They traded him 1 for 1 for Olesz who was eventually bought out by the Hawks himself. Both of them ended up fairing better with their next teams for awhile, but neither truly lived up to their contracts and were of negative value before they ended.
Campbell won a Stanley Cup with the Hawks, and was putting up around 30 points a year with solid defensive play until he was 36.

Boyle was reliably good for 40 points a season from the back end until he was 37. We forget that Tampa Bay was actually quite the Mickey Mouse organization when Koules and Barrie owned them for a spell.

Neither player failed to earn his money - the Hawks got into a cap nightmare because Dale Tallon literally forgot to fax out the qualifying offers to Versteeg, Byfuglien and Barker.

You don’t break the bank for Brodie, but if you get him between $5.75-$6.65M for the next six years, you probably don’t ever regret that deal, especially not with an $80M+ cap.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money and term need to make sense for the Flames. They need to be cautious about how many long term, big money deals they hand out to 30+ players.

5x5 is the max I would want the Flames to go. Brodie and Gio can battle it out next year for who is the third protected Dman after Hanifin and Andersson.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #26
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Money and term need to make sense for the Flames. They need to be cautious about how many long term, big money deals they hand out to 30+ players.

5x5 is the max I would want the Flames to go. Brodie and Gio can battle it out next year for who is the third protected Dman after Hanifin and Andersson.
You wouldn’t take a homegrown 1st pairing D at 6x5?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #27
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I guess presuming Flames don't have to protect Valimaki in the expansion draft, if you extend Brodie, do you protect him over Gio in the expansion draft? I guess there's only a small chance Seattle would take Gio considering his age, but that'd be interesting.
Is that the way it works?

I assumed that Seattle could not draft upcoming UFAs, and they could just sign wherever they wanted. I guess Seattle could still draft them, but they would only be acquiring their rights until they become UFAs.

Calgary will protect Andersson, Hanifin, and Gio. Valimaki does not need to be protected. Kylington will be exposed.

I may be in the minority here, but I would prefer Calgary to try and take a run at Hall. Then role with Valimaki, Giordano, Hanifin, and Andersson as the top 4. Yes, I know it's a gamble to have Valiamaki penciled in already as a top 4. If the Flames re-sign Brodie, that means not signing Hall or trading Gaudreau and Backlund.

Maybe my Hall and Gaudreau dream is unrealistic anyways, and we should just sign Brodie.

Last edited by blankall; 08-10-2020 at 03:16 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #28
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought there were rumours his wife's health was an issue in Calgary's climate?

Last edited by flamesgod; 08-11-2020 at 05:15 AM.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You wouldn’t take a homegrown 1st pairing D at 6x5?
Not going to love that deal. Brodie has been a whipping boy for 2 of the 5 years of his last contract. $6M for a guy that likely is the #4 in year 2 of the deal. I won’t hate that contract but wouldn’t be a big win for the Flames.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #30
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I assumed that Seattle could not draft upcoming UFAs, and they could just sign wherever they wanted. I guess Seattle could still draft them, but they would only be acquiring their rights until they become UFAs.
Lol, how bad could your depth be that an expansion team would select a UFA defenseman instead of any other unprotected player. That would be embarrassing...

Anyways, Gio will still have one year on his contract when the expansion takes place. As much as I love him, I'd say if the Kraken want a 38 year old Giordano making nearly 7M for one year instead of, for example, Dube or Kylington or whoever, let them have him.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #31
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on how close is Valimaki to being a full time top 4 D. If he can slot into the top 4, then losing Brodie is not as big a hole, and you hope that Gio has at least one more solid year
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #32
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I've always thought he was the weak link between him and Gio... until Gio fell off a cliff this year.

I'll take Brodie over Gio.
What cliff is that?

22nd in 5on5 CF%
18th in 5on5 xGF%
35th in 5on5 HD splits

His production is off ...

54th in Points/60

but he was 17th in shots/60

That pretty much says top pairing defenseman. That's not a cliff.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #33
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can’t be paying 6 million for a D who isn’t great at D and doesn’t put up points at his age

Honestly 5X5 scares me.

4x 5-5.25 is the range I feel his value falls. Even then I am not a huge Brodie fan and won’t let the last 15 games cloud the entirety of his tenure when he was younger - Up and Down

Unless you believe he has found a new gear later in career (does happen)
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There could be a couple unique situations were players limit themselves to very few, if not one, team. Hamonic for instance. But maybe Brodie too. He might have to make a call on what's best for his wife and no one can blame him for that.
I was gonna say - suddenly warm weather states ain’t as attractive especially if you have family members at risk. Also some might want to see what the election results are. But the latter is a timing issue for some.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

"isn't great at D"?

wat?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #36
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

At the very least Brodie will test free agency I would think. I mean, if Kadri had said yes Brodie was as good as gone. He knows that. So even if he would like to stay in Calgary he'll try for a bidding war (or what might resemble one with a flat cap).
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #37
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Petro makes it to UFA I hope the Flames take a massive run at him, I'd rather see that than give Brodie a penny over $5 million AAV, and I like Brodie. It's obviously highly unlikely, but if it happened Tre could then turn around and trade Hanifin for a pretty good return.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #38
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk of extending Brodie is without discussing how much you are wiling to pay him in terms of years and dollars makes little sense.

What's your maximum contract?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #39
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
You can’t be paying 6 million for a D who isn’t great at D and doesn’t put up points at his age

Honestly 5X5 scares me.

4x 5-5.25 is the range I feel his value falls. Even then I am not a huge Brodie fan and won’t let the last 15 games cloud the entirety of his tenure when he was younger - Up and Down

Unless you believe he has found a new gear later in career (does happen)
Brodie isn’t a poor defender. He plays against the other team’s top players every night- he wouldn’t be allowed to do that if he was Gustafsson defensively.

Look at Brodie’s first nine years compared to Gio - Gio has one season that eclipses TJ’s baseline average.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #40
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, how bad could your depth be that an expansion team would select a UFA defenseman instead of any other unprotected player. That would be embarrassing...

Anyways, Gio will still have one year on his contract when the expansion takes place. As much as I love him, I'd say if the Kraken want a 38 year old Giordano making nearly 7M for one year instead of, for example, Dube or Kylington or whoever, let them have him.
If I'm Seattle, I definitely take an unexposed Giordano. He'd be a great asset to flip at the deadline. Probably a 1st + good prospect.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: