Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 AM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read up on mattresses in the past (redflag deals has threads in this) and after applying the logic and testing it out, I basically I took this away:

- Costco, Novosbed, Casper etc are the non negotiation places. Use them as rule do thumbs for features vs pricepoint for negotiation on other mattresses. No negotiation doesn't mean no discount. Make use of Costco membership card to get 2% back or get referral discounts for novosbed etc.

- Most mattresses are between 100-200% margin. Negotiate. Sleep country is like car purchasing negotiation. Others like The Bay is a little different but similar idea for end result. I stalemated at 40% off a memory foam at Sleep Country years ago simply by sitting and lying on it. I felt the price was too high for the features to price, walked and bought a Novosbed for the price I was OK paying. I also grabbed traditional coil mattresses from the Bay at 65% off MSRP, by using good timing for sales, new HBC credit card application discount and asking nicely if the was a way to drop the price (waived delivery fee for me).

- unlike car negotiation, mattress negotiation is sometimes like calling into retentions. If some salesman isn't playing ball, go to a diff store and try a different salesman to see if he will play ball. (Especially sleep country)

- Don't get caught up on a specific mattress if there is an equally comfortable equivalent. You're covering it up anyways. I mean, I won't slag tempurpedic, but why pay more on memory foam if you can't tell the diff between the tempurpedic and a novosbed/Casper etc.? But if you can tell, get the higher one no question.

- Many mattresses have up to 120 return policy. Use it if the mattress doesn't feel good.

- Comfort isn't solely mattress. Make sure your bed frame isn't doing anything weird to not allow the mattress to perform correctly (broken/crooked/overly wide slats, damaged frame etc.). Also evaluate your pillow. Expensive isn't better for pillows, but incorrect height of pillow can due to poor neck and body position while sleeping.

Lastly, IMO if you buy a premium mattress, I suggest buying a nicer bed cover. It's just a cherry on top experience wise and you can always find good sets for a nice discount at a place like Winners or home sense.
A liquid proof mattress cover is also worth acquiring if it's not uncomfortable to you. They're between $20-30 on Amazon. My 4-5 year old mattress still looks brand new even though I've had situations like my kid peeing on my bed, spilled wine, sweaty summers etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 06:09 AM   #22
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a mattress, but one of the best sleep related purchases I've ever made was getting a high-quality goose-down duvet (ours is from St. Geneve). I cringed at the cost when we bought it, but in retrospect it's worth every damn penny.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #23
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Partially true. Sleep Country has nothing in that markup range but yes the Bay, Sears etc. Used to and always had 60 % off. If Scc did that
they would be out of business as their margins are not that high.
And there are different qualities and types of foams. Done react different than others and some will not show up until the long term just like a lot of other items. Buyer beware is the biggest thing and don't get caught up on those 60% off sales as their original price was usually staged prior or they are not at a true keep value which by the there is none in the mattress world so places like the Bay have always had their own over inflated pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I read up on mattresses in the past (redflag deals has threads in this) and after applying the logic and testing it out, I basically I took this away:

- Costco, Novosbed, Casper etc are the non negotiation places. Use them as rule do thumbs for features vs pricepoint for negotiation on other mattresses. No negotiation doesn't mean no discount. Make use of Costco membership card to get 2% back or get referral discounts for novosbed etc.

- Most mattresses are between 100-200% margin. Negotiate. Sleep country is like car purchasing negotiation. Others like The Bay is a little different but similar idea for end result. I stalemated at 40% off a memory foam at Sleep Country years ago simply by sitting and lying on it. I felt the price was too high for the features to price, walked and bought a Novosbed for the price I was OK paying. I also grabbed traditional coil mattresses from the Bay at 65% off MSRP, by using good timing for sales, new HBC credit card application discount and asking nicely if the was a way to drop the price (waived delivery fee for me).

- unlike car negotiation, mattress negotiation is sometimes like calling into retentions. If some salesman isn't playing ball, go to a diff store and try a different salesman to see if he will play ball. (Especially sleep country)

- Don't get caught up on a specific mattress if there is an equally comfortable equivalent. You're covering it up anyways. I mean, I won't slag tempurpedic, but why pay more on memory foam if you can't tell the diff between the tempurpedic and a novosbed/Casper etc.? But if you can tell, get the higher one no question.

- Many mattresses have up to 120 return policy. Use it if the mattress doesn't feel good.

- Comfort isn't solely mattress. Make sure your bed frame isn't doing anything weird to not allow the mattress to perform correctly (broken/crooked/overly wide slats, damaged frame etc.). Also evaluate your pillow. Expensive isn't better for pillows, but incorrect height of pillow can due to poor neck and body position while sleeping.

Lastly, IMO if you buy a premium mattress, I suggest buying a nicer bed cover. It's just a cherry on top experience wise and you can always find good sets for a nice discount at a place like Winners or home sense.
A liquid proof mattress cover is also worth acquiring if it's not uncomfortable to you. They're between $20-30 on Amazon. My 4-5 year old mattress still looks brand new even though I've had situations like my kid peeing on my bed, spilled wine, sweaty summers etc.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #24
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I lived in Vancouver I bought a California Queen and loved the length (wife and I are both tall). Bought a California King from Casper as my current mattress and love it myself, although I could probably sleep on anything as long as my feet don’t stick out over the end.

California kings and California queens have different measurements which can affect sheet sizes etc.

Interesting thread!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #25
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
We bought an Intellibed (gel bed) about 10 years ago. It was about $6000 them. I think they are in the $9000 region now. The very best investment. Just the best bed. The store was/is in Deerfoot Meadows. Highly recommend.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Intellibed really is the best bed you can get. I bought my queen size for about $4000 in 2006. The gel doesn't retain heat and features full support with no pressure points. When I get back from a vacation, all I can think about is that I'm back sleeping in my own bed. After 12 years of use the bed is still in great condition and has 18 years left on the warranty. Yes, they are pricey,but I'm pretty sure I would be in need of a new bed by now otherwise. It is the one purchase I have never regretted in any way.
Red Ice Player is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #26
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard nothing but good feedback from people who bought Intellibed mattresses. $9,000 for their top-end mattress though is a bit steep, of course. But we will go and check it out, for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #27
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I know someone that works in the hotel industry and right now, because it is a slow time, a lot of them are replacing beds and stuff like that. He said that he could get me a wholesale price if I ordered it from him. That's in Ottawa of course, but if you know anyone in Calgary connected, it might be worth looking in to.
This. This is the way to purchase a mattress. I miss the days when my brother was with Delta and I was able to get a Fairmont mattress for a fraction of what it would cost me otherwise. I believe that I paid $500 all in for mattress and box spring delivered to my house. This was simply the most comfortable mattress I've had and I do miss it. This was 7 years ago though, but still. This is the path to go if you have the availability.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #28
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Surprised no one has mentioned Endy beds, I bought one and holy f... best investment I’ve ever made.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #29
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Endy beds, I bought one and holy f... best investment I’ve ever made.
How's the firmness of it? We bought a Silk and Snow last month and hate it. Way too firm. So much so that we thought maybe it was assembled incorrectly and flipped it, but no luck. It's just way too firm. We need to wait 3 more days before we're allowed to return it and are considering Endy or Casper.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #30
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
How's the firmness of it? We bought a Silk and Snow last month and hate it. Way too firm. So much so that we thought maybe it was assembled incorrectly and flipped it, but no luck. It's just way too firm. We need to wait 3 more days before we're allowed to return it and are considering Endy or Casper.

Medium I guess? It’s honestly awesome! I just did a quick check and you can go check out the endy bed at F2 Furnishings.

Endy 901 64th Ave NE, Unit 4120,
Deerfoot City Mall,
Calgary, AB T3C 0M4
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #31
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Resurrecting this thread to just say glad I found this post about intellibed. I’m someone that likes to research everything before buying and had never heard of it before. We found a intellibed retailer near Deerfoot meadows and also one downtown that has closed now.
The Deerfoot meadow store had a couple models but less selection. The downtown store had most of the models off the website even some really expensive ones. They were having a renovation sale so we ended up buying a older model with a decent discount. Seemed like one of the main differences with the new models was they had a more traditional pillow top so it didn’t feel like you were laying on gel.
We also got intellibed neck pillows and it is truly a great bed there little gimmick is that is soft but firm which I do find true when I’m laying on my back you feel supported and firmer and laying on your side the gel collapses under the pressure points. With the discount it ended up being similar prices to a tempurpedic mattress.
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #32
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Re - Intellibed. So my wife and I are also hunting for a new mattress, and came across this site, The Mattress Underground, where people are frighteningly obsessed with mattresses. There's been some discussion about the Intellibed here and here, for example.

Anyway, it's not really on our list of candidates. We've recently contacted a local guy, Dean Halstead, who makes custom mattresses and he is The Mattress Underground personified. So we'll be consulting with him to see if there is a fit and if so, we'll work with him to create our new mattress.

These are two other places we've looked into that seem to be very well regarded:
MFC
Mattress & Sleep Company
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #33
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to grab a Douglas; anyone have one that can give an honest review?
Everything I read online sounds great, but it's tough to tell with online reviews.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #34
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Looking to grab a Douglas; anyone have one that can give an honest review?
Everything I read online sounds great, but it's tough to tell with online reviews.
I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between Douglas, Endy, and Novosbed. Douglas is the cheapest but has equal or better reviews than the other two, would be nice to get some personal experience though
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #35
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm in the same boat, trying to decide between Douglas, Endy, and Novosbed. Douglas is the cheapest but has equal or better reviews than the other two, would be nice to get some personal experience though
I believe Douglas, Endy, Casper and Silk & Snow are in the same range. I believe Novosbed is a tier up (thicker foam, removable tops etc.). I believe Douglas is the same company as Novosbed?

No idea on Douglas, but I've owned two queen sized Novosbed for 5+ years for both and they're great. I bought a Silk & Snow a few months ago and it's not bad. Great value at its price, but I feel like I like the Novosbed better. Nothing specific I dislike about the Silk & Snow. It's more like getting a premium sedan and realizing I like premium SUV better, sort of situation.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:55 AM   #36
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm also looking at the Douglas. I don't remember why I settled on them after looking into the reviews of similar priced ones (Endy, Casper, etc).... I will likely be buying a Douglas in the next month or two and I think I'll get the frame from Ikea.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:44 AM   #37
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a new Douglas King 6 months ago; we don't like it, too firm and wake up sore back, side etc. Will be going back to a 'regular' Serta or similar.

Last edited by MJK; 08-04-2020 at 04:46 AM.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #38
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's actually good to know!
My wife and I prefer a more firm mattress, so I was actually worried to Douglas might be a little too soft, based on comparisons between Casper, Endy, and Douglas that I had read.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #39
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
That's actually good to know!
My wife and I prefer a more firm mattress, so I was actually worried to Douglas might be a little too soft, based on comparisons between Casper, Endy, and Douglas that I had read.
Same here, but I found out that Casper has a store in Chinook where you can test their mattress. Reviews peg it a little bit firmer than the Douglas, so I'm going to give it a try which will hopefully give me some kind of benchmark. If I find that too firm then I'll go with either the Douglas or the Novosbed depending on how much softer I'd want it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #40
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

We bought a Logan & Cove online 4 months ago. I did a ton of research before the purchase and finally took the plunge. I can't rave about it enough.

They have 2 different firmness models. We picked the more firm one and it's incredible.

https://www.loganandcove.ca/
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote