Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #1001
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Damnit, Holland actually sounds like he understands some of the Oilers problems and might work on fixing them rather than shooting for the big UFA signing or believing the Edmonton press.
It’s ok, Lowe and Katz will overrule anything he recommends.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #1002
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My take:

- Smith and Neal never play another NHL game. Or Neal starts maybe and is munching popcorn most of the season. Both have hit their Wideman status.

- No way the cap is going to the number that has been said, or it is taking a dive after next season. There won't be fans paying for tickets probably all next season, and are they going to move to a PPV model somehow?

- I can see NHL allowing 3 buyouts again if the cap is regressing. Neal, Smith and maybe caveman. Still will put Oilers up against a lower cap.

- Can't trade your way out of this one. No one wants to move to Edmonton if this is going on. Need to focus on the draft and pray you get lucky.

Anyways, looking forward to Spector's next book. "COVID the pandemic that robbed a city of a dynasty". Chapter 1 - The Play In Fix is In.

Makes for good reading around a campfire in Leduc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #1003
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal will absolutely be back. They're not going to admit defeat that quickly, especially after he scored basically 20 goals, regardless of how front heavy it was. He'll likely get another shot at the first line again next year. I expect 10 goals from him next year and it looking worse than now by end of season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #1004
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal will be back because they can't afford to have over 6M is dead cap space. The following season they have a couple million finally come off, so that is when I think they bite the bullet.

Smith is 38 going on 39, he is done. For the 3m or so they paid him they should be able find a goalie with less risk. He signed one year, they will walk.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #1005
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Neal will be back because they can't afford to have over 6M is dead cap space. The following season they have a couple million finally come off, so that is when I think they bite the bullet.

Smith is 38 going on 39, he is done. For the 3m or so they paid him they should be able find a goalie with less risk. He signed one year, they will walk.
He made $2M this year. They will not be able to sign someone better for less than that.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #1006
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hard to log 25+ minutes as a forward when they expect you to backcheck.

Nothing is going to change, they just need to spend more money on goaltenders so that they can finally realize their defensive depth is more shallow than the gene pool of the oiler faithful.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:42 PM   #1007
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal will be playing with McDoovid just to "prove a point".
Old 08-11-2020, 10:42 PM   #1008
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He made $2M this year. They will not be able to sign someone better for less than that.
2m base with 1.75M in bonuses. I think he made close to 1M. He had a 750k if they made the playoffs, not sure what happens with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #1009
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

$10 they go back to Kassian-McDavid-Neal
Old 08-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #1010
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
$10 they go back to Kassian-McDavid-Neal
Well otherwise they have to break up the best line in hockey.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #1011
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
2m base with 1.75M in bonuses. I think he made close to 1M. He had a 750k if they made the playoffs, not sure what happens with that.
Ahh, did not know that.

(Don't see anything about it on capfriendly though)
Old 08-11-2020, 11:01 PM   #1012
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

On his capfriendly page it will have the break down. The golden cup signifies performance bonuses attached to the contract.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #1013
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On his capfriendly page it will have the break down. The golden cup signifies performance bonuses attached to the contract.
thank you for that

so from I can see, $500k in bonuses
Old 08-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #1014
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

There was talk of signing Smith to a 1 million a year deal next year. But seeing as Kostinen is obviously (always was) not a legit #1, the Oilers best move would be to sign a more reliable 'back-up'. And they hope he is lights out and takes the role from Kostinen. Either a young guy or a reclamation project like Talbot. Aside from two players, their offence and defence is so terrible I can't see them spending big money on a goalie.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #1015
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Caption contest!

McAvi: I backchecked last game; and I did say “let’s go”.

Or

McAvi: I hear you get Corona if you go on your own side of centre.
Or:
Raisatl: Away game? No problem, I’ve got something back here that smells just like home.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #1016
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
thank you for that

so from I can see, $500k in bonuses
500k at minium. The question is whether they pro rate the games played bonus. I think he was sitting a game or two shy to make the 250k for 40 games. The 250k for 45 games is probably not a factor. His agent might be fighting for that 750k.

I would be more than happy if they signed him and brought him back, even at a reduced number, as it would signify another year spinning their tires.

Their cap is a mess that will take Holland some time to get corrected, time he probably doesn't have if the McDavid ultimatum is true.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:26 AM   #1017
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
It’s the moment he looked around the locker room and realized he was surrounded with actual talent and not a bunch of overhyped AHL scrubs:

- Shanahan RNH
- FederovYamamoto
- Lidstrom Nurse
- KozlovKhaira
- LarionovKassian
- Konstantinov Bear
- Vernon/OsgoodSmith Koskinen

Keep swinging Spec.
What's the problem? That is truly a dynasty right there.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #1018
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion the 2020 Oilers were a similar version as the 2017 group. They played over their heads and came back down to earth the next season. The problem for the Oilers this year was the offseason taking place before the playoffs so they lost all their mojo during the pandemic break.

I see the same team that missed the playoffs for the third straight year with no cap space to make changes or saviors coming from the farm.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #1019
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
In my opinion the 2020 Oilers were a similar version as the 2017 group. They played over their heads and came back down to earth the next season. The problem for the Oilers this year was the offseason taking place before the playoffs so they lost all their mojo during the pandemic break.

I see the same team that missed the playoffs for the third straight year with no cap space to make changes or saviors coming from the farm.
That's just it - the talk on the Oiler fan board is "Trade this guy and this guy and get a #1 goalie and a stud defenseman" and that's just not reality. They are in a cap crunch, and they don't have assets other teams are going to want. Nobody is looking to trade a top-pairing defenseman for Kassian. I think that fanbase is just out of touch with what a regular team looks like, being so used to a couple of elite players and a pile of trash with them.

So I think it's a long, difficult journey for the Oil, still suffering under bad contracts (Neal, Kassian, Koskinen), stuck with fool's gold for defense in Larson, Klefbom and Nurse (and Bear is maybe an up and comer but he looked over his head to me against Chicago), and lacking legit prospects on the farm to boot? Good luck Holland.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #1020
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Has been any juicy rumours about how McDavid feels about the situation? Or does he no longer have any feelings left after spending so much time being no good?

A major shakeup would be truly inevitable if McDavid speaks up. I'd maybe even gain a bit of respect for him.
Closed Thread