Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 3 Stars 2 (Flames lead series 1-0)

Game Takes: Flames 3 Stars 2 (Flames lead series 1-0)

- Dube emerging with two more goals
- powerplay clicks again
- Talbot and team shake off 2nd period weak goal to counter and win
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

"in all situations, the Flames had 70% of the high danger chances"

That matches what I saw. Even when they had zone time and pressure, the Stars never got to the middle, and were really unable to generate many dangerous chances.

One bad minute, and a couple bad bounces, made the score much closer than the game was, IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

59:51 of extremely solid hockey.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually thought that both goals were flukes. You can definitely make the argument that Talbot should have had that 2nd goal, but I think it came from behind a screen, and it was one of those bouncers that are difficult to react to. I think Talbot should have saved it... but it wasn't a particularly easy save.

Let's just split the difference and call it a medium.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is Lucic's team..

He has the whole team playing with his attitude and the Lady Bynger's are not getting in the way. The "core" has changed without changing personnel.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #6
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
This is Lucic's team..

He has the whole team playing with his attitude and the Lady Bynger's are not getting in the way. The "core" has changed without changing personnel.
Hope you are right!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward mentioned in an interview that Lucic loves taking those faceoffs, and since it's bringing good results, I think the making conclusions about Sam Bennetts wrist is unnecessary.

Lucic is a leader, he loves taking faceoffs, coaches let him do it, it's working, they go with it. That's simple enough for me.

I also think that it helps cover for Lucic weaknesses. Win or lose, faceoffs often require quick reactions and especially a quick first step to get in position, whether it's attacking the puck, covering your man, pressuring the opposing retreating defenseman or moving the puck to safety or to a scoring position. Lucics first step isn't great, to put it politely, but if I think of guys on this team who are good at pouncing on things, Bennett is top of the list.

So having Lucic at the middle of the scrum puts him where the action is without him having to take a step, and fills his spot with a pouncing Bennett.

Last edited by Itse; 08-12-2020 at 08:22 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is the outrage with Bingo posting the +/- and using it as a valid analysis tool?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #9
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Ward mentioned in an interview that Lucic loves taking those faceoffs, and since it's bringing good results, I think the making conclusions about Sam Bennetts wrist is unnecessary.

Lucic is a leader, he loves taking faceoffs, coaches let him do it, it's working, they go with it. That's simple enough for me.

I also think that it helps cover for Lucic weaknesses. Win or lose, faceoffs often require quick reactions and especially a quick first step to get in position, whether it's attacking the puck, covering your man, pressuring the opposing retreating defenseman or moving the puck to safety or to a scoring position. Lucics first step isn't great, to put it politely, but if I think of guys on this team who are good at pouncing on things, Bennett is top of the list.

So having Lucic muscling guys at the middle of the scramble and Bennett waiting to pounce on something, that plays to their strengths better than the other way around.
If Bennett is playing hurt then they need to give whatever drugs he is on to the so called top line.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #10
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would change "Dube emerging" to "new core emerging" and to follow up ricardo's idea that the core has changed without changing personnel, I guess that's the same thing maybe - but they are changing.

I think we've seen Giordano look far less dominating this year, both physically and mentally - his game isn't as sharp as it has been. More positional penalties and more mental mistakes (last night's puck-over-glass just one example). If the "core" is Giordano/Brodie, and Gaudreau/Monahan (Backlund?) at it's most basic cut, then the "new core" is Dube, Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Ras, hopefully valimaki, hopefully Bennett...

So that's pretty nice. Gustaffson's a nice interim fit in the defense (he's shown what a shooter does for the powerplay for example). Lucic filling his role and then some suddenly.

I thought Lindholm brought a lot of energy and physicality combined with responsible play in the first series. And I thought Monahan upped his 2 way effort - as has been mentioned, if he and Gaudreau aren't a defensive liability, that's a win in itself. Would I like to see that top line get some goals and look dangerous? Hell yes. But if what they are doing is tying up other teams' best defenders (or controlling their scorers) then the other lines on the Flames can do the other work, and that's what we are starting to see here. Matchups become very hard for the other team.

So I'm feeling pretty happy about where the team is at. I think they're a step behind the obvious cup contenders (Carolina, Vegas etc), but things are coming together.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #11
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where is the outrage with Bingo posting the +/- and using it as a valid analysis tool?
Bingo’s game analysis is historically sound. He watches the WHOLE game and applies his “eye” as well as advanced and regular statistical overview, in his opinions and viewpoints.

Look at the detail and accuracy in his work.

It is , diametrically , the opposite of your approach and the resulting nonsense you regularly spew.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #12
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bad news is the first line isn’t doing anything offensively 5v5. The good news is, we still are winning despite that.

Last edited by Bunk; 08-12-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
It's literally been in every game story for two years.

And it's in a section labeled counting stats and removed from the fancy stats. They are stated matter of factly without any conclusions or analysis derived from them.

Try that and you will avoid outrage too.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: