Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #61
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got notified today that our Pilsner won a "Judge's Choice" award in the Alberta Beverage Awards. Pretty happy result considering how many Pilsners are on the market and these awards are open to any beer that is sold in Alberta, not just ones that are made here.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to wookster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #62
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been on the lookout at Coop for the beers. We have been getting delivery done regularly, though I guess even if they carry it, it might not show up regularly on their website. If you begin getting them into Co-op, do update us. I'll call in and ask them to add to our order.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #63
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Been on the lookout at Coop for the beers. We have been getting delivery done regularly, though I guess even if they carry it, it might not show up regularly on their website. If you begin getting them into Co-op, do update us. I'll call in and ask them to add to our order.

You bet, we are working on Co-op as we speak. We concentrated on the Sobey's liquor stores first but now that we are on their approved list Co-Op is next. Its a process though.
The Following User Says Thank You to wookster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #64
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Finally getting around to having a better look.

I can't try the beer until its available in Nova Scotia (given the connection to the greatest province in Confederation that may be sooner rather than later, haha).

First off.

Website looks good. I love the history connection with the beers. Its done really well. I'm sure you're aware the #1 thing that sells a beer isn't taste but story.

Customers will choose a beer with a good story 8 out of 10 times. If someone asks a server what lagers they have on tap and the servers tells them then says "But we also have a Pilsner called Peril on the Atlantic from Buffalo 9. The beer honors not only the Canadian Navy but they focus on the HMCS Guysborough which was sunk by a German U-Boat during WWII. It's not too hoppy, but still has taste. People really love the whole honoring veterans philosophy of Buffalo 9, which Peril on the Atlantic does while tasting great.

People at the table will order that, guaranteed. Even though its not even the style of beer they were looking for.

The cans are awesome, art is a big differentiator. The classic feel with the level of detail will set your cans apart. They might be geared more toward an older demographic, but that works with the theme. Know your niche, know your demo and stick to it. No one is everything to everyone. Even if I didn't know anything about Buffalo 9, I'd grab a can if I was in the liquor store just to try. The logo stands out which is fantastic.

Do you have a taproom? Can people go in and grab a pint? Do you have a loyalty program? Mug Club is a popular one (I've been a member of my local brewer's mug club since day 1, about 5 years now). Small discount on beer and at the end of a year you keep your mug and they start over again.

What about merch? With your logo and designs you could sell a TON of merchandise. There isn't anything on your website about merch.

Speaking of website, if you have a company handling it for you, get them to fix the Google SEO. When I search for Buffalo 9 Brewing Co, your Facebook pages comes up first. Then rating sites like Untapped and Yelp (with social media mixed in). I had to get to your website via Facebook.

Also anything you can do to keep your name in people's minds is generally good. Could be sponsoring a softball team, donating a 4 pack of beer and a t-shirt to charity auctions, sponsoring a concert for the univeristy/college crowd (SAIT usually is happy to work with local vendors, especially beer vendors).

Hope all is going well! Best advice I can give is to get in front of as many servers as possible at bars and restaurants that carry your product. Get them familiar with the beer and especially the stories. Heck, offer to bring them in for free tours and samples. If they know your story and like you, your sales will spike.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #65
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for that write-up. Lots of good stuff in there. For the website, I made it myself using godaddy's website builder, I will look into the google thing to see what I can do, I'm not a website guy by any means. I am also looking into an online store feature on the website as well. We do have some shirts and hoodies etc. and have hats and toques coming soon (this week in fact). We've mainly been using instagram, facebook and twitter to promote, especially during covid. We're geared up for tastings and festivals if the world ever gets back to normal with that stuff.

We don't have a taproom as of yet, that is the ultimate goal.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #66
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
Thanks for that write-up. Lots of good stuff in there. For the website, I made it myself using godaddy's website builder, I will look into the google thing to see what I can do, I'm not a website guy by any means. I am also looking into an online store feature on the website as well. We do have some shirts and hoodies etc. and have hats and toques coming soon (this week in fact). We've mainly been using instagram, facebook and twitter to promote, especially during covid. We're geared up for tastings and festivals if the world ever gets back to normal with that stuff.

We don't have a taproom as of yet, that is the ultimate goal.
I'm happy to help a fellow CPer whenever I can. I have some background in the industry.

I also don't know how to do the backend website stuff, I can recommend companies here in Cape Breton (which can do whatever you need) but I'd be shocked if there wasn't someone on CP that can do that stuff for you locally.

Hope all is going well

Old 08-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #67
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm happy to help a fellow CPer whenever I can. I have some background in the industry.

I also don't know how to do the backend website stuff, I can recommend companies here in Cape Breton (which can do whatever you need) but I'd be shocked if there wasn't someone on CP that can do that stuff for you locally.

Hope all is going well

It is going well I believe. Our beer is selling quite well and being noobs we didn't sufficiently prepare for selling out so quick. Our IPA has been completely sold out for about 3 weeks now and we can't brew it for another two weeks. Our Pilsner is half gone after about a month so its selling well too. Problem is we are not well known as of yet, festivals and events would help that for sure. Thanks again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wookster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #68
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When you say your IPA is sold out, do you mean you've sold all of your stock or are the stores all sold out too?
Old 08-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #69
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
It is going well I believe. Our beer is selling quite well and being noobs we didn't sufficiently prepare for selling out so quick. Our IPA has been completely sold out for about 3 weeks now and we can't brew it for another two weeks. Our Pilsner is half gone after about a month so its selling well too. Problem is we are not well known as of yet, festivals and events would help that for sure. Thanks again.
Great problem to have (so long as you're working to correct it). So many people have a great problem, then do nothing.

My local brewery apparently blew past their 5 year projections late in year 1 or early year 2.

A cidery just opened up in town and they sound like you. Some merch, no taproom as of yet, struggling to keep up as their product is more popular than they ever expected.

Keep up the good work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #70
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
When you say your IPA is sold out, do you mean you've sold all of your stock or are the stores all sold out too?

We have been completely out of stock for almost a month, but there may still be some in stores.
The Following User Says Thank You to wookster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #71
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Figured I'd give this a bump. Saw your NEIPA at the liquor store so I gave it a shot. Really enjoyed the flavour, nice amount of hops but not overwhelming. Will definitely be a beer that enters my fridge rotation!
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #72
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a couple of new craft breweries that have recently opened near me. I’m supporting both. Just enjoying from a growler I bought a very nice creamy ale today.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #73
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

General beer question here:

What is the difference between the various pale ales I see out there. Or is there one. Generally I seem to see three main types - IPA, NE PA (New England/Northeast) and NW PA (northwest). I am not an IPA fan but would give the others a try depending on what they are - if there are some generalities. Or do they all vary.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #74
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
General beer question here:

What is the difference between the various pale ales I see out there. Or is there one. Generally I seem to see three main types - IPA, NE PA (New England/Northeast) and NW PA (northwest). I am not an IPA fan but would give the others a try depending on what they are - if there are some generalities. Or do they all vary.

They vary a lot actually, west coast IPA's and Pale Ales will usually be very bitter with lots of hop aroma that is piney. New England IPA's and Pale Ale's will have lots of hop flavor and aroma but it will be more citrusy with little actual bitterness. All IPA's and Pale Ale's will perceive to be more bitter than your average lager like Coors and Molson.

Shameless plug here but if you want to try a bunch of different IPA's get the Alberta Beerfest in a box Edition 3 which is all IPA's (Ours is in it as well) but there is a great mix of diffferent types in there. Pretty sure you will find a couple you really like and a couple you will hate

Thanks to everyone who has tried our beer, we are releasing our 4th beer soon just in time for summer, its a Pale Ale, but its very easy drinking, great for patio's and golf etc.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #75
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On a side note, we just hit our 1 year anniversary of our first release late last month, pretty cool considering we had no idea how it would go when we first started.

Our first batch of beer was 2700 liters, and I can remember being super worried if we were going to sell it all as its just my wife and I and we both have full time jobs as well as the beer business. I mean when you think of it 2700 liters is quite a bit, and with it being an IPA it has a shelf life of around 4-5 months tops when stored cold. Well after our first year we ended up brewing about 18000 liters and sold pretty much all of it and are working to surpass that this year hopefully.

We're also in the very early stages of planning out the next step which will be an actual location.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wookster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 05:07 AM   #76
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I must admit I rarely go to the local liquor store (beer only available in liquor stores, breweries, specialty stores, or dealer outlets in rural areas here) as I generally just go to the local microbrewery.

Any availability outside of Alberta? Say in a lovely eastern province that looks like a 6 on top of a 7?

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 05:24 AM   #77
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey wookster, I missed this when the thread went around the first time. Are you at Sherbrooke in Edmonton?

I'll look for it next time I'm there and get my friends to give it a go. We are all NEIPA fans, but will pickup some of the Pilsner since it seems to be popular in this thread. Calgary has so many breweries.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:36 PM   #78
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Our IPA is available in Saskatchewan in the Beerfest IPA pack but other than that it is only available in Alberta for now.

Sherbrooke Liquor does carry our beer, but its not always in stock so you may want to call ahead unless your in the neighborhood anyway.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:49 PM   #79
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Peril (Pilsener) is now in the Auburn Bay Coop Liquor Store. I'll be trying it in about 20 minutes.

The IPA is there as well.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #80
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have enjoyed the Ridge IPA a few times via Alberta Beer Exchange, so keep up the good work.

Curious, how does the contract brewing game work - do you get to be involved in the actual process(ie physically adjusting things) or do you just specify ingredients/timing/etc?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post: