Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #1661
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised they put Pinder in the morning, with Boomer and Rhett already there. Don't get me wrong, I think he makes the morning show better, but Pinder's probably the most versatile guy they have at the Fan, where he can ham it up naturally with the morning guys, but also talk serious sports in the afternoons. Steinberg's ok, but he can't carry a show that well.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #1662
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This seems weird to me. It's kinda like a demotion for Pinder. He can absolutely host his own show instead of playing second fiddle to Boomer.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #1663
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
This seems weird to me. It's kinda like a demotion for Pinder. He can absolutely host his own show instead of playing second fiddle to Boomer.
I think he probably likes it better because he’s working from home, he gets his own hour to do his thing, then he has the rest of the day.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:35 PM   #1664
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has there been any word on radio/tv rights for next season anywhere?

I was wondering if Rhett came back because this might be the last gasp of things in their current form.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #1665
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been ramping up my 960 listening over the last couple of months.

Is there a worse person on 960 than Will Nault? It seems he has decided to be the guy that is pessimistic and questions everything. When the return to play was discussed he didn’t believe a deal would get done, he thinks the all Canadian division will be boring, he basically tries to take the opposite take.

He is just really bad at it. He mentioned he was trying to play the heel but he is just not good at it. Pinder knows how to play that role Nault is just not good. I have never been a fan but he is getting to Rob Kerr level of annoyance right now. He can’t carry a show or even be a side kick
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #1666
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Kerr (on radio) I was glad to hear him back on when the WHL was shut down.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #1667
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've already given my opinion on Nault so I won't harp on it anymore, but I want to say, I do like Peter Klein. He sounds like a fun guy to hang around and talk sports.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #1668
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I like Kerr (on radio) I was glad to hear him back on when the WHL was shut down.
I could t stand Kerr when he came back from being play by play. The guy just loved to hear himself talk. My opinion obviously but I thought the Fan had it nailed when they paired Pinder and Steinberg. I honestly couldn’t stand Steinberg with Kerr but realized it was just Kerr. I have grown to enjoy Pat when he was with Pinder and still like him on the afternoon now but feel bad he has to deal with Nault all the time.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #1669
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rhett adds nothing to this show. What a waste.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #1670
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the main three guys. Fun, dumb, and insightful.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #1671
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I have been ramping up my 960 listening over the last couple of months.

Is there a worse person on 960 than Will Nault? It seems he has decided to be the guy that is pessimistic and questions everything. When the return to play was discussed he didn’t believe a deal would get done, he thinks the all Canadian division will be boring, he basically tries to take the opposite take.

He is just really bad at it. He mentioned he was trying to play the heel but he is just not good at it. Pinder knows how to play that role Nault is just not good. I have never been a fan but he is getting to Rob Kerr level of annoyance right now. He can’t carry a show or even be a side kick
I was listening a bit during the holidays and thought Nault had improved dramatically. I think he's on par with Steinberg now. It's actually Steinberg who gets butt-hurt and awkward now instead of Nault.

Pinder is the real talent on the station though. Surprised he hasn't bolted for TV yet.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #1672
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I could t stand Kerr when he came back from being play by play. The guy just loved to hear himself talk. My opinion obviously but I thought the Fan had it nailed when they paired Pinder and Steinberg. I honestly couldn’t stand Steinberg with Kerr but realized it was just Kerr. I have grown to enjoy Pat when he was with Pinder and still like him on the afternoon now but feel bad he has to deal with Nault all the time.
Pat and Pinder are very good together. I think it's because they bring different perspectives without getting riled up over having different perspectives.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-04-2021 at 04:08 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #1673
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I listen from the states but only during hockey time of year and only when they talk about hockey. I can get the other sports here. I find most of the guys pretty good. Lou is my favorite guest. Oh and krahn is funny for an occasional helper.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to motorcrosser For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #1674
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pat and Pinder go well together, and Boomer and Pinder also go well together, but for completely opposite reasons.

Boomer's able to be the dominant voice and keep Pinder in check. Pat lets Pinder be the dominant one, but is able to play off of it well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #1675
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I've already given my opinion on Nault so I won't harp on it anymore, but I want to say, I do like Peter Klein. He sounds like a fun guy to hang around and talk sports.
I want to like Klein so bad, but his massive Ummmmmmmms kill me.

That and Logan Gordon's continued use of "You know".

The fact they've both been on the station a while and do nothing to improve is what annoys me.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #1676
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should consider getting one of those... um, what are they called..... women. Women on the show. Any show.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #1677
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Rhett adds nothing to this show. What a waste.
There are many times you don’t even know he’s there now. Just so quiet.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:43 PM   #1678
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
They should consider getting one of those... um, what are they called..... women. Women on the show. Any show.
No way. The lame button-pushed ad girl is annoying enough. Why can't they plug ads themselves instead of a cheesy pre-recorded ad. I don't need a Lexus or bmw anyways.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #1679
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still like Rhett on the show, him and Boomer have good chemistry and he has some insightful stories being the only one who played. There are days though when you can tell he's not too interested in being on, it was the worst when he was down in the States

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #1680
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this station has failed the audience (outside of the morning show) by allowing too many young broadcasters on the air. I know....budgets, declining revenues ect. But all you have to do is listen to TSN 1260 in Edmonton for 10 minutes to hear a much superior product. The main reason for that is that TSN has seasoned broadcasters with a little bit of life experience. Hosts that can remember sporting events prior to 1998. This bunch of 20 somethings (Pat excluded) that run the show in the afternoon do not resonate with anyone 35+, which is a large part of the target demo. You've got 4 guys on in the afternoon and not one of them is old enough to remember the Flames winning the cup. That is strange to me.

Additionally, the technical quality of The Fan is terrible since these guys starting working from home. Delay and tinny microphones should be an embarrassment for one of the biggest communications companies in Canada. Everyone else seems to have figured it out.