Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Rogers LTE has been down for about a week in Altadore/Lincoln Park

Surprised there hasn't been a Reddit or CP thread on this, as it has been over a week that LTE has not been working for Rogers customers in the Crowchild, north of Glenmore Tr region. Guessing a lot of Rogers customers aren't aware that manually turning off LTE and using 3G is an alternative. No communication or update from Rogers on this issue. All anyone I know (on Rogers) in this area gets is a cannot connect to cellular network .
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's odd as I'm with Rogers. Our house is in Garrison Green, which is technically in Lincoln Park and straddling Altadore; no issues with our LTE here.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was in the area a few days ago and had no issues. With rogers as well.

Mccree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

That doesn't really make sense. Looking at the cell map, there has to be 8 - 10 towers within range of those neighbourhoods. People would be freaking out.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmm, I guess the area affected is much smaller than I thought- but Rogers LTE definitely not working just east of the military museum. The Rogers check network status page has been giving the "we're working to resolve the wireless network issue" for over a week now when I enter our postal code.

Anyway, more isolated issue than I thought and only anyone living pretty close to us would have the issue. Will just have to endure the pain of relying on wifi/3g for now.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have noticed noticed the issue for a few days when leaving work (Currie Barracks).

I’m on wifi all day, but once I get to my car and fire up Waze, get some music going, etc. there is no internet connection, despite the signal looking fine.

As I drive West and North to get home, I toggle the cellular radio off/on and the issue eventually resolves, but now I know that’s just because I’m driving away from the area.

Thanks for the tip to switch to 3G temporarily.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I misunderstood the OP and thought you meant you weren't getting any data connection at all, sorry. It's completely plausible that a single tower has lost its data connection to the main network. I've always been curious about how Roger's handles their network out West as they don't actually own any infrastructure, AKAIK. I assume they just lease it from Shaw or Telus?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers has its own infrastructure in Calgary.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what it's worth, I checked my Fido app (probably a clone of the Rogers app), and it also mentions that I may be experiencing trouble in that area. I also reported the issue with the app.

Working from home today, but I'll see if the problem still exists tomorrow and report it again.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue was still present on my lunch hour walk around Currie Barracks and Garrison Woods, however this afternoon my phone was causing my computer speakers to do that old school GPRS-style interference. So I flipped wifi off and I have noticed that I'm no longer on LTE, and my phone is bouncing around between 3G and GPRS.

So based on no actual knowledge of how this stuff really works, the Rogers network is acting differently this afternoon, and I'm going to jump to an uninformed conclusion and suggest that it is getting worked on as we speak.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Appears to be back up now. Was about 2-3 weeks though.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can confirm - data is working again over LTE.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I misunderstood the OP and thought you meant you weren't getting any data connection at all, sorry. It's completely plausible that a single tower has lost its data connection to the main network. I've always been curious about how Roger's handles their network out West as they don't actually own any infrastructure, AKAIK. I assume they just lease it from Shaw or Telus?
In many/most cases in the West the Rogers towers connect to each other by microwave, the little round drum on the tower. TELUS/Freedom more often connect directly.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote