Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #1921
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

So you want it to appear more dangerous than the data says it is?

Over or under blown perception is entirely relative, but I don’t want to push peoples perceptions either way based on inaccurate information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #1922
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
A quarter of Canadians think the risks of Covid are over blown. Having them say someone died of covid then retracting that just a couple days later will just reinforce those positions.
Well that's dumb.
They quickly corrected the information.
I see nothing wrong with that. Transparency and honesty.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #1923
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Well that's dumb.
They quickly corrected the information.
I see nothing wrong with that. Transparency and honesty.
I agree, but I don't think the people who downplay the risks will agree.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #1924
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, but I don't think the people who downplay the risks will agree.
My experience is that those folks feel what they feel absent any real data - so nothing is going to really change their minds either way.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #1925
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The correction should give any reasonable person more confidence in how the numbers being handled. It would've been easy to just ignore it, but they changed the classification after an autopsy in order to maintain accuracy.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #1926
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
A quarter of Canadians think the risks of Covid are over blown. Having them say someone died of covid then retracting that just a couple days later will just reinforce those positions.
Depending on what source you read the risk is "overblown". There are certainly sources that state the risk is much worse than it is. Everything is relative. For example when the initial data came out, sources were stating the death rate was likely to be 2%+. That's definitely "overblown". Conversely, if you want to find sources underestimated the risk, you can do that too.

Call me old-fashioned, but the population deserves to hear the truth.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #1927
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should probably be a little more careful before they tell the population that a 20 something died from Covid when the individual didn't. Really, an announcement like that should be vetted a little bit before it's released. But yes, they should tell the truth when they've done wrong.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #1928
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
They should probably be a little more careful before they tell the population that a 20 something died from Covid when the individual didn't. Really, an announcement like that should be vetted a little bit before it's released. But yes, they should tell the truth when they've done wrong.
Assumes they weren't careful.
They are reporting information about deaths on a daily basis. If they start to delay reporting because they want to make sure they are accurate with every detail - they will get criticized for being slow in reporting
They thought the person died of covid
When they learned he didn't, they corrected.

With all going on right now, I don't see a big problem here. Unless there is a pattern of inaccuracy in their reporting - but I'm not aware of any.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #1929
agulati
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

171 new cases out of 12,540 tests
36 hospitalized (6 in ICU)

62 confirmed cases in 45 Schools. 8 schools with outbreak (2-4 cases) 1 school in Calgary under "watch" with 5+ cases.
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #1930
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember people saying - way back in March - that a very effective way to stop this disease from killing the most people would be to protect the elderly and vulnerable.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #1931
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Sorry what is this post referencing?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
Old 09-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #1932
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ontario Government has just reduced safe gathering numbers in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors. So it's not safe to have more than 10 people inside, but a classroom in these same regions can still have upwards of 32 children.

How on earth are they this stupid?
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #1933
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I remember people saying - way back in March - that a very effective way to stop this disease from killing the most people would be to protect the elderly and vulnerable.
We'll see in about 3-4 months who was correct on this. Sweden's strategy was about leaving life as normal as possible while protecting the elderly.

If doesn't get a second wave but Canada does, it's pretty strong evidence to suggest that Canada took the wrong route, and that Sweden's approach was correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #1934
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
The Ontario Government has just reduced safe gathering numbers in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors. So it's not safe to have more than 10 people inside, but a classroom in these same regions can still have upwards of 32 children.

How on earth are they this stupid?
Because the goal behind the regulation is to reduce spread. It isnít that it is safe or unsafe. By reducing community based spread by limiting non-essential gathering at a lower point you protect schools from being shutdown.

The goal is a community wide RT of 1. It doesnít matter where you reduce the spread from.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #1935
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long have you guys waited for a test result lately? My five year old got his in like 28 hours. I got tested yesterday and haven't heard back yet.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #1936
keratosis
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
How long have you guys waited for a test result lately? My five year old got his in like 28 hours. I got tested yesterday and haven't heard back yet.
Took my results 3 days, but I was showing symptoms. I was negative. This was 3 weeks ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 04:34 PM   #1937
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My experience is that those folks feel what they feel absent any real data - so nothing is going to really change their minds either way.
The concern is further entrenchment of dumb ideas by doing things like that. Yes they probably aren't going to have their minds changed but I think as time goes on more people will start to question things and these types of circumstances don't help that. I don't waiting 2 extra days to confirm cause of death is a big deal.

Last edited by Weitz; 09-17-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #1938
Knut

Exp:

Alberta is ending Asymptomatic testing. 230,000 asymptomatic tests revealed about 7 cases per 10,000 tests.

Only those with symptoms, close contacts and high risk can get testing.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #1939
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Had my 7 year old tested (with symptoms) Monday at 1:30. We received a negative test result via text by noon Tuesday.

I think the recent introduction of text message results (introduced sept 10th) has sped things up considerably
Old 09-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #1940
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Same experience. 4 year old was testing because of the sniffles. The family was tested and she had her results in about 24 hours, the rest of us (asymptomatic) 72 hours.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Closed Thread