Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Hans Landa
Self Lifetime Suspended

Exp:
Default Desirable Neighbourhoods in Saskatoon?

Looking for serious responses... if that's possible.

Not for me, but a relative has been presented with a job offer there, that nearly doubles their 6-figure salary, but... it's Saskatoon. For the opportunity, I think she should still put up with it for a few years to get themselves out west and away from the crumbling mess of Ontario.

Where do the Saskatoon snobs live?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Something close to Fuddrucker's should be all that matters.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Saskatoon for my master's degree. First piece of advice anyone gets it's stay out of the west side. East of the river is key. I'm in Varsity View and some houses here are very nice, I'm just in a renovated basement suite so very different price range from a 6-figure salary.

For them, it sounds like they would be able to afford quite a nice place, if they can I've really loved any houses on University Drive or Saskatchewan Crescent E., they are mainly expensive older heritage houses.

I know there are newer subdivisions east of Circle that younger couples seem to be going to that would be nice, I think anything around Wildwood golf course or any of the lake communities that are around that area.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Evergreen, Willowgrove, Arbor Creek, Erindale, Silverspring, Forest Grove.

Avoid: The entire west side except for everything north of Circle Drive North (Lawson Heights, River Heights, Silverwood)
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.

Last edited by saskflames69; 10-17-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landa View Post
Where do the Saskatoon snobs live?
Calgary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames69 View Post
Evergreen, Willowgrove, Arbor Creek, Erindale, Silverspring, Forest Grove.

Avoid: The entire west side except for everything north of Circle Drive North (Lawson Heights, River Heights, Silverwood)
I havent lived there in 8 years but still go back for christmas but one area that I always thought was underated was the first 5 or 6 blocks west of spadina on the west side of the river. The Kimg, Queen, Prince streets around city Hospital. So it isnt the entire westside. More just west of 22nd / Warmen plus Riversdale that should be avoided

Just blocks from the river and downtown and massive charactor homes. The other area i really like is anything around broadway. Lots of old homes in that area that have been redone or make great bulldozer projects.

Im not sure where this person would be working but if its Cameco which is located on the West Side dont buy on the far eastside in willowgove, Arbor Creek, Silver Springs as it is a 45 min comute to get accross the city.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Im not sure where this person would be working but if its Cameco which is located on the West Side dont buy on the far eastside in willowgove, Arbor Creek, Silver Springs as it is a 45 min comute to get accross the city.
Not true at all. I play lacrosse at the two rinks right by their headquarters and it only takes us 20-15 minutes. Even during early morning traffic it takes no more than 25 minutes to get there. And once the new south bridge opens in the next few months I expect the commute to take only 10-15 minutes.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Close to DT - City Park and Richmond Heights

A little further north - River Heights, Lawson Heights and Silverwood Heights. I grew up in Silverwood and loved it.

Parts on the Eastside are pretty good too - Broadway area if they are looking for apartments and like a trendy area with lots of bars and restaurants.

Most of the eastside is decent too for families. A lot of the newer neighbourhoods off Attridge Drive (Erindale, Arbour Lake, etc) are great for families.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did my master's degree and in Saskatoon. The second summer I was there I rented a condo just off of Herold Road. It's fairly close to the intersection of Taylor Street and Boychuk Drive in the very southeast part of the city. The area was great, or as good as you can get being that you are in Saskatoon, and I think is called Lakewood. The Extra Foods there is convenient, but every store closes by about 6pm. Getting to the UofS only took about 10-15 minutes in the morning. Downtown would probably be about the same time.

The first year I stayed in a basement suite a few blocks southwest from the intersection of Preston and 8th. It was convenient, but with a car was only a few minutes closer than the second year. The houses are older there and more built for rentals. I highly recommend moving to the edge of the city instead of this area. Most of it is condos too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames69 View Post
Not true at all. I play lacrosse at the two rinks right by their headquarters and it only takes us 20-15 minutes. Even during early morning traffic it takes no more than 25 minutes to get there. And once the new south bridge opens in the next few months I expect the commute to take only 10-15 minutes.
My Mom does the commute every morning and it takes 35 minutes from Sutherland to Cameco during rush hour. Willow grove is further out an Attrige is a terribly backed up street.

It takes 7 minutes from Sutherland to Holy Cross so no way it is only another 8 mintues to go all the way around after the South bridge opens.

If you decide to move to Calgary I recomend you live in Airdrie because the commute is only 20 minutes to downtown.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
My Mom does the commute every morning and it takes 35 minutes from Sutherland to Cameco during rush hour. Willow grove is further out an Attrige is a terribly backed up street.

It takes 7 minutes from Sutherland to Holy Cross so no way it is only another 8 mintues to go all the way around after the South bridge opens.

If you decide to move to Calgary I recomend you live in Airdrie because the commute is only 20 minutes to downtown.
The south stretch of Circle Drive had its traffic lights replaced by interchanges, the last of which is scheduled to be open by the spring if not earlier. You will not need to take an exit ramp onto the bridge, it is going to be an actual extension of Circle Drive itself.

Freeway traffic is not nearly half as bad in Saskatoon as it is in Calgary. 15 minutes may have been a lowball guess; a more realistic estimate would be 18-19 minutes, still 15 minutes shorter than your mom's commute.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Idylwyld Park was the nicest neighborhood I went through during my time there. I'd second Saskatchewan Crescent or University Drive. I'd also say somewhere close to Spadina on the north side of downtown.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My Aunt and Uncle live on University Drive. I think their place was quite expensive, but it's a lovely area and they can afford it. If your relative is making a high salary this would be the area to look.