Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #521
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Anyone have one in their backyard? Are they really noisy when they kick on in the summer?

I think I have room to install it in the sideyard, but would be right outside my neighbor's master bedroom window.
It depends. The higher the SEER rating the quieter it tends to be (and pricier). They can also install sleeving on the compressor to make it quieter as well but some outfits charge extra for that.

Overall AC units are far quieter than they were years ago, but still aren't "quiet".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 06-23-2021 at 01:10 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 01:44 PM   #522
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone have one in their backyard? Are they really noisy when they kick on in the summer?

I think I have room to install it in the sideyard, but would be right outside my neighbor's master bedroom window.
Mine's in the backyard just off the deck and it's not bad.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #523
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Action Furnace installed mine. I wouldn't recommend them.
Why wouldnt you recommend them? I just had mine installed by them on thursday last week. No issues so far lol.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #524
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Ours is pretty quiet, we have a 16 SEER.

I mean it also depends on if you like your neighbor. If not get the loud noisy one lol
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #525
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
Why wouldnt you recommend them? I just had mine installed by them on thursday last week. No issues so far lol.
The action furnace installer punctured the hose for my humidifier. Instead of saying anything, he put in a new valve on the supply line and closed it. So next winter I turned on my existing valve and the humidifier didn't work. I paid for a service call on the humidifier and ended up having to replace the humidifier supply lines.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #526
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Action also is famous for removing equipment from unhappy customers houses with the fixed right or its free guarantee and then installing it in someone else's house as brand new.

They also have no issues installing new air conditioning over top of furnaces which are 10 years old and older.

The efficiency will be poor, warranties won't match up and you'll end up with a frozen coil in no time....leading to an overflowing drain tray which leaks directly into your furnace onto the electrical ......guess what's happens next?

Unless it's installed out of a brand new box I wouldn't trust them.

Calgarys market is increasingly competitive and paying less seems great at first but within 3 years major issues will arise.

My 30 years in the industry has shown me this repeatedly and not just on air conditioning installs....on everything.

They also pay for falcifified Google reviews to generate more business.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #527
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what you're saying is call Chestermere heating?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #528
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
So what you're saying is call Chestermere heating?
Chestermere Heating and Cooling 403-272-9976 and yes. That would be a good start.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #529
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Action also is famous for removing equipment from unhappy customers houses with the fixed right or its free guarantee and then installing it in someone else's house as brand new.

They also have no issues installing new air conditioning over top of furnaces which are 10 years old and older.

The efficiency will be poor, warranties won't match up and you'll end up with a frozen coil in no time....leading to an overflowing drain tray which leaks directly into your furnace onto the electrical ......guess what's happens next?

Unless it's installed out of a brand new box I wouldn't trust them.

Calgarys market is increasingly competitive and paying less seems great at first but within 3 years major issues will arise.

My 30 years in the industry has shown me this repeatedly and not just on air conditioning installs....on everything.

They also pay for falcifified Google reviews to generate more business.
Glad someone mentioned this. A lot of companies pay for fake google reviews, worst I've seen are local car dealers that have thousands of 5 star ratings to cancel out the (legitimate) 1 star ratings.

it was covered in the news recently as well: https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates...ogle-1.6033859
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #530
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How often do people get their outdoor AC unit serviced? Wondering the economics of paying for a service call vs increased efficiency.

Would hosing it down do a lot of good? Ours has some pollen in it but doesn't look blocked up.

Not sure what else a service call would do?

Any good prices on servicing?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #531
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
How often do people get their outdoor AC unit serviced? Wondering the economics of paying for a service call vs increased efficiency.

Would hosing it down do a lot of good? Ours has some pollen in it but doesn't look blocked up.

Not sure what else a service call would do?

Any good prices on servicing?
I pay ~$150 a year for a package that includes a yearly inspection/cleaning/pad+filter replacement (for furnace and AC), priority on-call service, no "roll truck" charges, and a percentage off any installs.

The main benefit is that most AC warranties require yearly inspections by an authorized installer to stay valid.

Quote:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #532
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I pay ~$150 a year for a package that includes a yearly inspection/cleaning/pad+filter replacement (for furnace and AC), and priority on-call service.

The main benefit is that most AC warranties require yearly inspections by an authorized installer to stay valid.
Who do you get that package through? The installer or a service company?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #533
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Who do you get that package through? The installer or a service company?
The same company that installed my Furnace/AC last year.

https://www.shiftair.ca/

Great deal, solid installers, good service. Installed the AC correctly as well, no skimping on coil placement, drain piping, etc. that you see sometimes.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #534
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The same company that installed my Furnace/AC last year.

https://www.shiftair.ca/

Great deal, solid installers, good service. Installed the AC correctly as well, no skimping on coil placement, drain piping, etc. that you see sometimes.
I gave these guys a shout for AC servicing, already can't remember the quote but it was ~$115 PLUS $45 fee for the truck to show up.

Seemed pricy?
Old 06-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #535
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

We were quoted $5,600 for new AC install. Prices really seem to be up this year.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #536
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I gave these guys a shout for AC servicing, already can't remember the quote but it was ~$115 PLUS $45 fee for the truck to show up.

Seemed pricy?
That doesn't seem expensive at all. Travel time to and from your house, plus fuel and vehicle expense/maintenance for $45? Barely above minimum wage. $115 to do the servicing? Peanuts for a professional and all his equipment and knowledge.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #537
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That doesn't seem expensive at all. Travel time to and from your house, plus fuel and vehicle expense/maintenance for $45? Barely above minimum wage. $115 to do the servicing? Peanuts for a professional and all his equipment and knowledge.
I have no idea, I assumed they would be here for 1/2 hour, plus lets say total travel time of 45 min so hour fifteen time...

$140 an hour? I guess on the button when you factor in employee burdens.

Also, no repairs included, this is for AC yearly tune up which I imagine isn't exactly a long training session and the work follows a basic script. IF repairs are needed, they have to call someone else.

But hey, I have no problem admitting I don't know what they do, maybe the yearly tune-up requires more skill than I am assuming.

Last edited by Mull; 06-24-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:19 PM   #538
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
We were quoted $5,600 for new AC install. Prices really seem to be up this year.
How big is your place and what size A/C were you looking at?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #539
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've had a few quotes over the last week for a 3 ton unit, everything between $3,500 and $5,600.

Does anyone know anything about compact/low profile, side discharge units? It seems that they do the same thing but are a little more expensive.

If I bought a 3 ton low profile unit with a 16 SEER rating, is it just as good as a 3 ton regular unit with a 16 SEER rating albeit with a different price?
BeltlineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #540
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Recently had a/c installed and its working great but holy crap is our basement ever freezing cold. I’ll put a temp sensor down there but it must be 3 or 4 degrees colder then the main floor, which is 3 or 4 degrees colder then the upstairs.

Anyways I was down there while the a/c was firing away and there is a breeze of air escaping the furnace from these 2 locations.

Along the metal channel (which is poorly sealed with some sort of caulking) specifically at the corner there is tons of sweet, sweet chilly air is just blowing out. And then behind the humidifier there is a sliver of opening where even more air is escaping.

I have no idea if my install was poor from the home builder or if the a/c installation messed with any of this but can I just seal those areas up with that duct tape and help push more cold air through the ductwork. Or is there a better more suitable solution?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote