Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #6721
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
The 2nd recount is done through machines only, Georgia was anticipating this, the certification won't be late.

As much as I love watching Trump lose over and over again, this is beyond ridiculous at this point. It's like he actually enjoys being constantly humiliated.

My guess is his campaign knows exactly how all of these recounts will turn out (with Biden in the win column of course), and the only reason they're pulling this crap is to continue stalling Biden's transition for as long as possible just to annoy the f*** out of everyone.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #6722
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Trump campaign is trying to lose their way to the Supreme Court. I guess Trump is hoping that his favours will pay off there. Sad if it gets to that point

Quote:

After a federal judge dismissed a Trump campaign lawsuit to block certification of Pennsylvania's election results, President Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani said that the ruling helps their strategy to get the case "expeditiously" to the Supreme Court.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-campa...-court-1549285
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #6723
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
My guess is his campaign knows exactly how all of these recounts will turn out (with Biden in the win column of course), and the only reason they're pulling this crap is to continue stalling Biden's transition for as long as possible just to annoy the f*** out of everyone continue to squeeze every last cent out of the deplorables to line dumbo's pockets and give him a nice going-away present.
That is more like it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #6724
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
The Trump campaign is trying to lose their way to the Supreme Court. I guess Trump is hoping that his favours will pay off there. Sad if it gets to that point

I doubt the supreme court would even take the case

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #6725
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another small crack in the GOP's support of Trump.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1330337626193321986
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 11:08 PM   #6726
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post

After all these failed lawsuits and the judges comments, I highly doubt the Supreme Court is going these radicals the time of day. The GOP has nothing.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #6727
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As much as I love watching Trump lose over and over again, this is beyond ridiculous at this point. It's like he actually enjoys being constantly humiliated.

My guess is his campaign knows exactly how all of these recounts will turn out (with Biden in the win column of course), and the only reason they're pulling this crap is to continue stalling Biden's transition for as long as possible just to annoy the f*** out of everyone.

Who pockets the money that was earmarked for a lawsuit that gets thrown out?
Old 11-21-2020, 11:19 PM   #6728
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Biden's lead in the popular vote has now surpassed 6 million.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/polit...tes/index.html
Sadly, Donald Trump has received the 2nd most votes in history.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #6729
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Old 11-21-2020, 11:55 PM   #6730
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread isn't working properly(can't get to last read post) so I didn't see this posted.

It's fantastic!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #6731
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 11-22-2020, 01:01 AM   #6732
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Who pockets the money that was earmarked for a lawsuit that gets thrown out?

Yeah, who indeed? Most of the money is already redirected before the lawsuit is even brought forward, much less dismissed

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/polit...ans/index.html

Quote:
The Trump campaign has relentlessly barraged supporters for campaign money, sending more than 149 fundraising emails since 11 p.m. on Election Night.

One solicitation sent Tuesday morning calls on "every single Patriot ... to help DEFEND the integrity" of the election.

Save America, however, gets an early cut of the funds raised. The fine print shows that 60% of the funds go first to Save America -- up to the $5,000 legal donation limit -- and then to the Trump campaign's recount account. Forty percent will go to the Republican National Committee's operating account.

Campaign finance experts say Trump is engaging in a bait-and-switch tactic with his supporters.

"He's saying that he needs donors' money for election-challenge litigation, but he's putting the money into an account to be used for his political future," said Paul Ryan, the vice president for policy and litigation at Common Cause
*Apparently is is up from 60 to 75 percent
Old 11-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #6733
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Another fabrication spread by Twitter and Facebook. God I hate social media.

https://truthisthegreatestenemyofthe...f-problem.html

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Old 11-22-2020, 01:46 AM   #6734
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post

Look who posted it... lol

Bringing facebook to cp since 1999.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #6735
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

my basic rule of thumb is if it comes printed over a picture its bull####, I would doubt E=MC2 if it was a caption on a picture of Einstien
Old 11-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #6736
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

As things are, it doesn't look like Trump has the support he'd need to stage a coup or twist the election results. Not now.

However, people who try a coup rarely stop unless they're put behind bars or killed. The lack of pushback to GOPs effort is really worrying. The extent to which this has been allowed to go on spells out quite clearly that there is a lot of quiet support to the idea of a conservative coup, even if they're not on board with this attempt.

Unless something changes drastically in the near future, even though we'll likely see President Biden take office, this is huge step towards more violence and another, better planned coup.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #6737
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Look who posted it... lol

Bringing facebook to cp since 1999.
Hey Markarov, STFU. You're the last person who should be calling out another poster about poor posting behaviors. Dion has a media literacy problem and doesn't vet his sources well, but he means well and is trying to provide some value to the community.

Quote:

Yeah, as soon as I read the quotes it was one of those times when you cringe because you know their attribution is not accurate. What can be said is these are the foundation for a propaganda campaign though, and even if they are misattributed they would fall under the playbook of any nation state wanting to push a propaganda effort forward. This could easily be distilled and laid out from a reading of Edward Bernays' Propaganda (1922). Bernays is considered the father of public relations and this little book is a manual on how to manage messages and sway opinion. A must read for anyone who is in PR, government, or has to manage communications for a large entity. Now, on to the dissection of Dion's meme.

If you tell a lie big enough, and keep repeating it, people will come to believe it.

There are many variations of this saying and the variations have been around for decades. Attribution has never been clearly defined because of the number of variations on the theme and the language translation that would further twist the meaning. Trying to attribute something like this is like playing a game of telephone. The final quote is never going to look like what was originally said. So while Goebbels never said these exact words, he did say something similar, but with a different meaning.

In a 1941 publication Die Zeit ohne Beispiel, and an article titled Aus Churchills Lügenfabrik, a translation gives us a Goebbels commentary.

"That is of course rather painful for those involved. One should not as a rule reveal one’s secrets, since one does not know if and when one may need them again. The essential English leadership secret does not depend on particular intelligence. Rather, it depends on a remarkably stupid thick-headedness. The English follow the principle that when one lies, it should be a big lie, and one should stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous."

Goebbels was referencing the British, but the same could easily, and more accurately, applied to the Germans, or any nation state fighting a war for that matter.

Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty.

As with the previous quote, the attribution is not clear as the passage has been uttered in many different ways by many different people. Goebbels did say something very similar in 1934 at Nuremberg though.

"The cleverest trick used in propaganda against Germany during the war was to accuse Germany of what our enemies themselves were doing."

He was speaking to what other nations were supposedly doing, but his statements actually where exactly what the above quote was saying. He was projecting the very behaviors the Nazis were embracing onto their critics and enemies. So while the attribution may not be entirely accurate, it is something Goebbels publicly said, but as a projection on enemies of the state.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident that they are working on their own free will.

Another attributions to Goebbels that is not 100% accurate in text, but accurate in massage. Again, this goes to his speech at Nuremberg in 1934 when he outlines the efficacy of propaganda and the failures of German propaganda during the war (WWI).

"This requires alert attention to the events of the day, and a trained and lively creativity that must include a complete knowledge of the soul of the people. The people must be understood in its deepest depths, or intuitively understood, for only then can one speak in a way that the people will understand. Propaganda must be the science of the soul of the people. It requires an organized and purposeful system if it is to be successful in the long run"

It is vitally important to the State.. to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus... the greatest enemy of the State.

Another attribution that isn't 100% accurate. The Jewish Virtual Library attributes a larger quote to Goebbels.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

This is similar to some of the language from the Nuremberg speech, but again not 100% accurate. If anything I would suggest it is more of a statement taken out of context from Mein Kampf and Hitler's idea of the "big lie." This was central to the Nazi propaganda effort as a foundational message, and misinterpreted many times, ultimately providing many of the greatest hits of misattributed quotes that are out there. The words in the quotes may be wrong, but the spirit of those quotes is largely accurate based on the sources available. But, as mentioned earlier, these quotes can also be easily distilled from a reading of Bernays' seminal work Propaganda.

I urge everyone to read Goebbels' Nuremberg speech on propaganda. It was a stunning oratory in 1934 and is still extremely relevant today.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 11-22-2020 at 06:59 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #6738
Boxman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Edit: deleted post.

Last edited by Boxman; 11-22-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Deleted
Old 11-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #6739
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Hey Markarov, STFU. You're the last person who should be calling out another poster about poor posting behaviors. Dion has a media literacy problem and doesn't vet his sources well, but he means well and is trying to provide some value to the community.
You must have missed his UCP FB propaganda barrage before the last AB election. But why the eff do you care? You don't live in Alberta and you dont' care Kenney is your Premier.

Not sure how posting FB gifs is a value here but sure...
Old 11-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #6740
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That is because the stupid are outbreeding the smart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread