Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #21
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I'm sure there is...I say just reverse standings, it's not like we have to worry about anyone tanking

Good point and a silver lining...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #22
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Actually I lost a lot of energy for hockey overall this season. It wasnt fun and felt like a bad addiction. Dont really want to get back into debating about the Flames either.

Like I said, I'm quite content letting this year fall away. And everything that went with it.
I disagree.

Any year you're in the battle for 1st in the division is a good year. Not to mention how fun the battle for playoffs is/was shaping up to be.

This is a year that any team who makes it deserves to be there and would make for some really fun playoff matchups.

Plus, any time you make the playoffs you have a chance at doing something special.

Would be very disappointed in a cancelled season.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 04:22 AM   #23
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I disagree.

Any year you're in the battle for 1st in the division is a good year. Not to mention how fun the battle for playoffs is/was shaping up to be.

This is a year that any team who makes it deserves to be there and would make for some really fun playoff matchups.

Plus, any time you make the playoffs you have a chance at doing something special.

Would be very disappointed in a cancelled season.
Any year an eye test shows this team was going nowhere is a great year to be cancelled, when you're not even 50% sure you could beat the lowly Oilers in a series you're actually happy to see the season end. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 04:37 AM   #24
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe they could do the draft by skype and ask the oilers how best to do it, they've uzed it quite a bit in the past.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Any year an eye test shows this team was going nowhere is a great year to be cancelled, when you're not even 50% sure you could beat the lowly Oilers in a series you're actually happy to see the season end. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way!
Yeah I couldn't stomach the fallout from a Flames playoff series loss to the Oilers and even the most optimistic Flames fan would have to believe that the series would be a 50/50 proposition at best especially if the officials were prominent. They had the edge in goaltending, coaching and massive special teams advantage. Oilers fans are the worst as even though they only beat the Flames once this season the texts I got from many of them after that win was like they just won the cup despite the Flames winning the season series and it's not like I was texting them after the Flames wins. I would rather have a clean slate summer with a fresh start to look forward to as the 2019/20 season simply wasn't a good one for the Calgary Flames for a variety of reasons.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #26
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Oilers had an edge in goaltending?

Not sure how one comes to that conclusion.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Oilers had an edge in goaltending?

Not sure how one comes to that conclusion.
Well statistically the are pretty well even everywhere but the Oilers were giving up a lot more shots and scoring chances and IMO goaltending stole more games for them this season. I suppose you could call it a wash but given how Smith performed for the Flames in the playoffs last season I would have more confidence in him than Rittich for sure as I still get the feeling the Flames would have started Rittich in the playoffs who was playing worse than the other three goaltenders in the 2nd half of the season.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would add that if the series went 7 games would anyone be surprised if all four goaltenders started at least one game?
Old 03-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I couldn't stomach the fallout from a Flames playoff series loss to the Oilers and even the most optimistic Flames fan would have to believe that the series would be a 50/50 proposition at best especially if the officials were prominent. They had the edge in goaltending, coaching and massive special teams advantage...
Well, I, for one, seriously doubt all of this. I personally think a playoff series would have ended in six games at most with the Flames on top. I think you are exaggerating any supposed advantage the Oilers had in goal, and am unconvinced that great special teams would be enough to decide the series.

So, maybe I am "the most optimistic Flames fan," but I doubt it. I'm quite confident that I am far from alone in my thoughts about this.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames would go as far as how disciplined they would be at staying out of the box.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #31
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Oilers were a train wreck down the stretch. They were picking up points completely off the backs of unsustainable goaltending and a power play for the record books. I'm not particularly happy with the Flames this year but we, as Flames fans should know that playoffs are a completely different game so expecting the Oilers to ride that train into a playoff series seems unlikely.

I would have loved to see that series, both cities fans would have been so invested it would be an instant classic.

I'm in the boat that thinks this year is done though, so at least I can revel in the karmic irony of the Oilers luck running out as usual.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote