Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #221
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Davie voted Nick...the only guy who didn't have a hand in his eviction. And it's not like Nick did a "big move" after. It wouldn't have mattered ultimately, but Davie should have stuck to his guns. I think it would have been good for the future of the game.

A really good cast overall. Dan could have been super bitter, I mean he got voted out while correctly playing an idol. John got blindsided because of an idol, so did Gabby. Carl and Davie were just normal blindsides. Alison and Christian were constantly targeted. Not to mention Angelina's active ploy to piss Alison off. A lot of reasons for a bitter vindictive jury, but they were all really receptive, respectful and seemed genuine in getting the right winner.

I would have preferred a Mike win but he's not hurting for money and it seemed like the money might ultimately help out a small town so overall feel good season.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #222
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Agreed about Nick but he also checked all the boxes where as Mike didn't. Nick could articulate how he had a great social game, won challenges, found and used idols and made big moves. And won 3 straight immunities when he needed them most.

Mike made big moves, had a tremendous social game - but didn't have the competition element
In many seasons Mike played a good enough game to win. But Nick played one of the most complete games in Survivor history.
There was a line that Nick said that after Mike described his social game, and how he was able to sit in the back and pull strings but never expose himself as a threat. Nick came back and said, I did all of that as well, but I WAS exposed as a threat and as such had to play an even stronger game to stay in it.

That right there was it for Mike. He was banking on his relationships to win the game at that point, and Nick came in and said ya I had just as good of relationships but I played a better, harder game, out in the open where I was vulnerable. I remember they panned to Mike and the look on his face was just.. ya I've got nothing I can say to that.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #223
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nick pretty much slaughtered the other two in his final speech.

I mean Mike played an ok game as someone here mentioned for any other year, but really Nick played a fairly dominant game in all aspects.

I look back on individual game winners and it had a similar feel to Rob's individual win.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #224
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Anyone thinking of applying for upcoming seasons now that Canadians are allowed?
As much as I love watching Survivor, I've always said that the only way I'd ever be 'on the Island' is if I'm doing Probst's job.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #225
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sadly, because I'm in the christmas slowdown without a lot of work, when I saw your name in the survivor thread I started humming and drumming on my desk with pencils. Thank god I work from home.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #226
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I mean Mike played an ok game as someone here mentioned for any other year, but really Nick played a fairly dominant game in all aspects.=
I disagree with this. Mike had far more control over the game at the end, Nick said as much. What Mike want, Mike got. He wanted Davie, gone, Davie went home. He wanted Carl gone, Carl went home. These were blindsides to Nick, while Mike wasn't blindsided by a vote since the Dan one (due to immunity nulifier and vote steal) but that was also weeks earlier.

Ultimately the only thing that Mike didn't get was the win, which means he didn't play better. But from a purely people-control aspect, Mike was easily and far away the better player.

The votes that didn't go his way, John and Dan, were because of idols and special advantages. Which is part of the game that Nick dominated but he clearly had less control of the actual votes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #227
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I disagree with this. Mike had far more control over the game at the end, Nick said as much. What Mike want, Mike got. He wanted Davie, gone, Davie went home. He wanted Carl gone, Carl went home. These were blindsides to Nick, while Mike wasn't blindsided by a vote since the Dan one (due to immunity nulifier and vote steal) but that was also weeks earlier.

Ultimately the only thing that Mike didn't get was the win, which means he didn't play better. But from a purely people-control aspect, Mike was easily and far away the better player.

The votes that didn't go his way, John and Dan, were because of idols and special advantages. Which is part of the game that Nick dominated but he clearly had less control of the actual votes.
This was also highlighted by the jury, that Nick had big polarizing moves early on, but didn't have a lot down the stretch. Where as Mike had steady consistent influence over a large number of votes. The difference between the two being that Nick was shooting from the hip where as Mike stood back and let others take credit/blame to remain invisible and 'safe'.

In the end it didn't matter, Nick had the physical part on lock be it his help around camp or his multiple immunity wins where as Mike was even called out for being lazy. But I am glad that the more ballsy player was rewarded for his play.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #228
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike literally told Davie as he was leaving that he was the one who decided. Nick agreed with it. It was still a blindside of the most likely player to win the game if they made it to the end. That should be looked at as a big move, and ultimately hurt Nick's chances because he wanted to keep a threat like Davie around, but it wasn't.

I think there's a bit of an ego thing with Dan and John. They see themselves as these massive awesome threats and see Nick getting them out (even though it was Davie's idol that saved Christian (got Jon out) and it was Carl's advantage that did all the work to get Dan out) so he gets this massive credit. But Mike getting out just as big threats, but with less egos, isn't given the same credit.

In pretty much any other season where a player who controls at least the last 5 votes, makes multiple blindsides, everything goes his way, that's considered a mastermind. But Mike overall was pretty nonchalant about it, which I think hurts his reputation abit, he was sort of an underdog who played underdog even when he took control.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I actually liked John, I thought he got more solid as the game went on, I was surprised that he wasn't utterly dominant in the physical challenges though.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #230
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

My wife and I both thought we heard Angelina say she was ‘a woman of color’. Did she say that? And if so what is her background? I just assumed she was Italian or something.

Great season overall, the right person won.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #231
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
My wife and I both thought we heard Angelina say she was ‘a woman of color’. Did she say that? And if so what is her background? I just assumed she was Italian or something.
She did say that. She's Latino.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #232
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post

Great season overall, the right person won.
I did get a kick out of here trying to virtue signal with that.

It was probably for the best that nobody even bothered engaging with her during the Q&As
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 PM   #233
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Just finished this tonight- that was a great season. Nicks final speech was the best I’ve ever seen, holy smokes. Agree with not wanting to go to the final with a lawyer, that’s a problem for most untrained people. Meanwhile when he pulled out the whole thing about his mom... I was like okay, goodnight game set match. Surprised Christian voted for Mike actually.

This show would still be better in a new setting. I have repeatedly stated this and still believe it, scantily clad women or not. The setting is so stale now. I think survivor Canadian wilderness would be sweet and could still be done in summertime.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #234
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christian helping John figure out ways to win on Impact Wrestling:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1080939357643563008
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #235
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Cast list for the next season is out... if I had to bet on anyone I'd bet on Wentworth.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-edge-of-e...-cast-gallery/
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #236
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh returnees is lameeeee
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #237
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel as though Aurora could be good. Looks as though she's in shape enough to be challenge worthy and an attorney to use with the social game
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #238
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

This season seems tailor-made for Joe with that Island of Extinction twist.

Want Aubry to win, I felt like she should've won her first season. Also like Wentworth.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #239
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be an interesting season! Looking forward to the show.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #240
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
This season seems tailor-made for Joe with that Island of Extinction twist.
Blah, Redemption Island... I don't get Probst's love for it.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote