Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #1401
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
There is test material that you can use to see how a sub is performing. One of those reference blu rays that testers use is the Pacific Rim blu ray.

If you play the Pacific Rim blu ray and your neighbour does not complain, then your sub is not working or too weak. You should feel a 12 for that, you don't hear a sub, you feel it. Of course it should be in context of the movie and not over the top, that movie does use a very heavy lfe track though. How big is your HT room?
I actually realized my Xbox sound was set weird and wasn’t getting anything but front 2 speakers. Shocking that couldn’t figure that out while drunk.

Got it set properly and watched bohemian rhapsody last night. Was pretty amazing!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #1402
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I used this website during my search. Helped out a lot.

https://www.rtings.com/tv

Lots of info on different tvs and they rank the different specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Weitz has hit the nail on the head.

I use rtings and a website called the Wirecutter.

I've stopped buying junk by following Wirecutter reviews.
Thanks so much for that site, that's perfect. It looks like we're getting pretty close to decent price drops on OLED 4k TV's. Reading a bit it seems they're predicting by 4th quarter this year they should be noticeably cheaper, combine that 4th quarter drop with a black Friday sale and you may be in business at a great price near the end of the year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #1403
jayswin

Exp:

Is anyone else a little disappointed in 4k content through cable providers/networks? I know there's a break in period but what has it been, 5, 6 years since 4k came out?

I was young for the HD switch, but I seem to remember when HD TV's started coming down in price (like 4k's already have) the content was pretty significant. I remember being annoyed that Shaw only had like 20 HD channels at the time.

Now Telus has like 4 and Shaw and doesn't even do 4k yet. That seems crazy to me.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #1404
jayswin

Exp:

And when you look at Netflix it sure doesn't look like there's justification for 4 and 0 4k channels on Shaw and Telus.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #1405
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a bandwidth issue. I'd also caution you on thinking it's super fantastic. The jump from SD to HD was more significant than the jump from HD to UHD (4k), the increased detail is a little more subtle.

The best way I can describe it is that the entire screen seems a little more in focus. You definitely notice it, but it's not enough to overhaul your entire setup.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:36 PM   #1406
jayswin

Exp:

You're probably right, but it sure feels pretty significant. Especially those youtube vids where people film scenery and cities. They look incredible.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #1407
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd also caution you on thinking it's super fantastic. The jump from SD to HD was more significant than the jump from HD to UHD (4k), the increased detail is a little more subtle.
Yeah 480 - 720/1080 was night and day. 1080 - 4k is nice but personally I won't bother buying a 4k setup until my current one dies which will likely (hopefully) be a long way out.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-28-2019 at 07:48 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #1408
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ fully agree.

I've only been able to see NHL, NBA and MLS and MLS was by far the best.

I have yet to see golf in 4k, which I think would be the 'best' sport for it.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #1409
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think HDR is the most dramatic.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #1410
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I got a UHD51a to try out 4k, but the thing makes a bunch of noise from the actuators on the chip. One set of actuators seems to be the cause of the problem. Anyway, it's painful to listen to, so it's going back. Unfortunately I got it on an Amazon warehouse deal, so no swapping for a different one. I imagine any they get are returned for the same reason, as it is apparently a little bit of an issue with these.

Anyway, I decided that 4k is a little immature at this point, so I'm looking for a 1080p to hold me over. My 720p HD70 was great, but needs a new $200 lamp and is just not that bright. So now trying to decide which one to go with. Anyone else here have projectors in that range? The new HD27HDR sounds interesting with it's HDR ability, though I'm not sure I'm sold on the white segment colour wheel, I don't need that much brightness for my basement. If they made one with the classic 6 segment I'd go with it for sure.

Other options are the HD39Darbee, though that is getting expensive, or one of the BenQ's I haven't looked at much.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #1411
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So I got a UHD51a to try out 4k, but the thing makes a bunch of noise from the actuators on the chip. One set of actuators seems to be the cause of the problem. Anyway, it's painful to listen to, so it's going back. Unfortunately I got it on an Amazon warehouse deal, so no swapping for a different one. I imagine any they get are returned for the same reason, as it is apparently a little bit of an issue with these.
Have you tried another one to see if it makes the sound? (ie: Go to some store with it on display or buy one to try and return) If the others you check out don't make noise, why not just try and get the one you bought replaced under manufacturer warranty?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #1412
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be tough to find one in store. They all make some noise, which I think would bother me a bit, even if it were quieter.

I did consider sending it back to Optoma, but it was a warehouse deal and was already missing the air filter and was a bit marred up on the top. Not something I care about all that much for the discount I got, but I'd worry they may have thought I treated it poorly. I also found out in the service menu it already had about 150 hours on it, not the 60 it showed on the lamp, which means someone reset it before sending it back, then someone else did not, so I'm probably the third person with this. Someone may have even registered it already, so all that made me more wary about sending it to them, and honestly I just didn't want all that hassle. Particularly if they said it was normal, and by the time I get it back the Amazon return period would have expired, then I'd be stuck with it.

I also just don't think cheap 4k projectors are there yet, the more I read about them. I'd rather wait a few years for the issues to get sorted out. At $850, the HD27HDR that works well sounds better than $1500 for the 4k on that has issues.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #1413
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Yeah 480 - 720/1080 was night and day. 1080 - 4k is nice but personally I won't bother buying a 4k setup until my current one dies which will likely (hopefully) be a long way out.
The problem is that I don't believe there are any HDR10 / Dolby Vision displays that are 1080p, and someone please correct me if that's changed. I don't think 1080p content is mastered for HDR either, although you can always downscale 4K content to 1080p.

Even then, getting a 4K set doesn't guarantee that you'll get those either HDR standard as they require a 10-bit panel which you won't get until you get into the upper-mid/high-end range of TV sets. There are a lot of 8-bit panel w/FRC 4K sets out there that try to create a faux HDR, but that isn't true HDR and the difference when tuned correctly is dramatic.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #1414
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got this one:
https://www.londondrugs.com/samsung-.../L0035407.html

$899 at London Drugs 'manager special' in-store

Interesting that it is a 10 bit panel. Had no idea that was a thing until I read your message Torquedog.

Basically the only thing I've seen in HDR are a couple of amazon prime shows. Good looking TV though! And hopefully future-proofed for a while. Apparently has low-latency so is a good gaming screen as well.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #1415
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want a Vizio P but I cant justify the cost right now.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #1416
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I really want a Vizio P but I cant justify the cost right now.
Yah I picked up the P65 during the boxing day sale. Amazing TV,

The network card in the TV is trash though. Devising a method of hard wiring it to my internet though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #1417
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Anyone have any good recommendations on a sound bar and sound bar mount. I don’t want to see any cables and my plugs are behind the TV so it should be easy enough

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #1418
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Anyone have any good recommendations on a sound bar and sound bar mount. I don’t want to see any cables and my plugs are behind the TV so it should be easy enough
What are you mounting it to?

There are sound bar mounts that hang from the TV mount. I've seen them at Best Buy.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #1419
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
What are you mounting it to?

There are sound bar mounts that hang from the TV mount. I've seen them at Best Buy.
The goal would be for it to mount into the TV mount. Are those universal?

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #1420
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad gave us a Vizio E for our bonus room he had in his basement. Unbelievable for an entry level tv. I'm sold on Vizio man.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote