Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #1041
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I don't think Tre can afford not to add a capable backup before the playoffs. It's an obvious area of weakness, and if the Flames get bumped in round 1 because Rittich gets hurt and Smith can't fill in effectively, then Tre would rightly be criticized. This is not a case where we could say hindsight is 20/20.

Even if they get someone who's just young and apparently solid to park in the AHL, that would help since I don't see much other help coming from the farm.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #1042
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
- The Flames should add another goalie
- Smith has been better lately

Two things that are not mutually exclusive.
He hasn't been better lately. The insanity needs to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If the starter gets injured what team isn't pretty much screwed?
Other teams backups at least give them a fighting chance. Smith requires four goals a game to win. This laissez-faire attitude towards an important position among some of you in confusing.

Calgary will be a team that rides Rittich in the post season but you need a strong capable back-up. Last season the Capitals didn't start the playoffs with Holtby. The Penguins switched Fleury and Murray two years ago, rode Murray mostly the year before. Scott Darling got five starts for the Hawks in 2015.

Understand that I'm getting ahead of myself here but in a similar run to the Hawks can anyone see Smith going anything but 1-4 or 0-5 in the post season? I've got zero faith in the dude.

Again though, great guy, amazing father.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #1043
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
...The next start the back ups scheduled for I'd like to see Gillies given the start. Gillies hasn't exactly stoned the AHL this year but what's the worse that can happen? The Flames need four goals to win when Smith starts, the worst that can happen is Gillies sucks too. Or maybe he surprises you and his numbers are better than the terrible Stockton Heat him surrounding him.
In principle, this sounds good, but practically speaking I don't think it is altogether very feasible, because the Flames would still need to do something with Mike Smith—even if Gillies is on the roster to play just a single game. The only change I realistically see happening is a trade for a better backup because the Flames should not be carrying three goalies on the roster.

I think it is more likely that if the Flames do not trade for a goalie (I don't think that they will), then Smith gets close to ten starts between now and the last week of March, and one of Gillies or Parsons will get a game or two in April.

Quote:
Smith is the worst goalie on the 2nd best team in the NHL. The Flames are fighting for or in 1st with a halfway capable back-up.

And because some people need to hear this in a post "bashing" Mike, he's a real sweet guy and a great family man
I don't see anyone pining for posters to be wary of Mike Smith's feelings. I do see a number of posters who feel that the situation is being exaggerated.

Yes, Mike Smith is among the worst backup goalies in the NHL.
Yes, it would be preferable to upgrade the position heading into the playoffs for a reasonable cost.
No, the need for change is not urgent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #1044
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They won't be able to trade him, but at this point carrying three goalies would be better than rolling out the corpse of Mike Smith every 5 games.

They're stuck in a crap situation, but I think we've had enough evidence that he's not just going to play himself out of it. It's time to address it before it becomes urgent.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #1045
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
He hasn't been better lately. The insanity needs to stop.
I mean, he started out 5-7-2 with an .876 SV% and has since gone 9-3-0 with a .902 SV%, the turning point being his truly terrible game against Montreal.

You can say he hasn't improved visually or whatever. But the statistics back the claim that he's been better. The Flames just need to pick the right spots and not start him against the freaking Capitals.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #1046
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
In principle, this sounds good, but practically speaking I don't think it is altogether very feasible, because the Flames would still need to do something with Mike Smith—even if Gillies is on the roster to play just a single game.
Put Smith in the press box for all I care. Or let Rittich rest any bruises or sores he has. It wouldn't be that difficult. If Gillies surprises and plays great that's a good problem to have. If he doesn't you're back where you started.
Quote:
No, the need for change is not urgent
The trade deadline is 21 days. So define urgent.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #1047
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, he started out 5-7-2 with an .876 SV% and has since gone 9-3-0 with a .902 SV%, the turning point being his truly terrible game against Montreal.

You can say he hasn't improved visually or whatever. But the statistics back the claim that he's been better. The Flames just need to pick the right spots and not start him against the freaking Capitals.
Cherry picking to fit a narrative.

Try his last 7 games vs the previous 7.

See?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #1048
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Put Smith in the press box for all I care...
I am guessing it is not that simple.

Quote:
...The trade deadline is 21 days. So define urgent.
An urgent change is one on which the season's fortunes hinge, and I don't think that is what we are dealing with. I think the target is home ice in the playoffs, and that is where the Flames will finish under the status quo. SJ and VGK are both at least six points away from overtaking the Flames; SJ's starting goaltender has been just as bad as Calgary's backup, and VGK will likely be forced to play theirs in at least 70-games.

I see anything beyond winning the Division as a nice bonus, and even then the Flames seem well positioned to finish ahead of Winnipeg under current conditions.

So, not urgent.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #1049
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can’t risk losing this good of a season on goaltending. Pick somebody up and sooner the better to get them adjusted.

Rittich has zero playoff experience, and the backup is terrible. Can’t have a single injury ruin the most promising season in 15 years.

Also don’t think Smith has been improving. His numbers have improved because the team is playing better hockey in front of him as they learn Peter’s system.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #1050
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Cherry picking to fit a narrative.

Try his last 7 games vs the previous 7.

See?
The pushing of the "Smith is better now" narrative is so odd. It's just not true. He's the Achilles heel of the team. The goalie situation in general is the Sword of Damocles over the best season we've had in 30 years.

Also, other literary references. Etc, etc.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #1051
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah...honestly if the backup G position is the biggest problem with this club, then things are in really good shape.
Yes and no. It may not seem like much, but Mike Smith's inadequacy could well turn out to be the difference between a first round match-up against a Las Vegas or San Jose instead of a Minnesota or Dallas.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #1052
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yes and no. It may not seem like much, but Mike Smith's inadequacy could well turn out to be the difference between a first round match-up against a Las Vegas or San Jose instead of a Minnesota or Dallas.
If we blow a 6 point division lead it won’t be because of Mike Smith.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #1053
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

No, they don't.

He had a good six game stretch from November 25th to December 8th. However in his last seven games since he has a SV% of .714, .889, .906, .808, .957, .886, .900. Now which would you define as lately? Three months ago or the last two months?

That six game stretch was awesome but it's obvious that wasn't the norm and his numbers since returning from injury a calendar year ago has been abysmal. Lately he's been ####. Two and a half months ago for six games? Great though!

Hanging onto "lately" is a fool's errand.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #1054
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
No, it won't. SJ and VGK have their own issues and despite all of Smith's struggles have been completely incapable of making up any ground on the Flames. It's a six-point gap, and one that is not at all likely for them to bridge.

Quote:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #1055
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

My 4-point goaltending plan:

1. Push hard to acquire Bobrovsky.
2. Relegate Smith to some sort of a mentor/coaching role or stick him in the press box.
3. Finish the season and go into the playoffs with Rittich as the #1 and Bobrovsky as the safety net.
4. Let Bobrovsky walk and then, depending how Rittich does in the playoffs, we either get Rittich a backup or a cheaper safety net.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #1056
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with calling up Gillies for just a game (even ignoring the fact he's been terrible) is that you are communicating, quite clearly, to the team that you no longer believe in Smith.
If Gillies falters, you are left with a back-up (Smith) that knows and that the team knows no longer has the confidence of the organization. And you may not have a clear path to replace him
Now the counter to this is the organization should NOT have confidence in him based on play. And that's fair - but right now they have to at least seem to keep their faith until they know they have a path to get a different backup.
Trying Gillies seems like a total hail mary.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #1057
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
My 4-point goaltending plan:

1. Push hard to acquire Bobrovsky.
2. Relegate Smith to some sort of a mentor/coaching role or stick him in the press box.
3. Finish the season and go into the playoffs with Rittich as the #1 and Bobrovsky as the safety net.
4. Let Bobrovsky walk and then, depending how Rittich does in the playoffs, we either get Rittich a backup or a cheaper safety net.
When you say push hard - what are you willing to give up?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #1058
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
No, it won't. SJ and VGK have their own issues and despite all of Smith's struggles have been completely incapable of making up any ground on the Flames. It's a six-point gap, and one that is not at all likely for them to bridge.

How about the bigger picture? What if Mike Smith's performance costs us home ice advantage not beyond the division, but in the conference or in the whole shooting match? Without Smith's bad performances, we are in contention for first overall, if not in that slot already. So yes, it may not seem like much looking at the division, but in the bigger picture, its a big deal.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #1059
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am guessing it is not that simple.
Why not? Would Smith refuse? I suppose if that happens they can call security.

If this is about hurt feelings we've got to be beyond that.
Quote:
I see anything beyond winning the Division as a nice bonus, and even then the Flames seem well positioned to finish ahead of Winnipeg under current conditions.
For the entire season, including playoffs? Thankfully the Flames seem to have higher expectations than that.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #1060
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'd be wary of really screwing the team chemistry over a backup goaltender.

By all means, if an upgrade on Smith can be found, which based on play this year should not be that difficult, go out and get it.

But to add a guy like Bobrovski to be a clear backup...I'm skeptical that Bob is going to be happy in that role, and that it could impact the entire group.

One thing I'm curious about would be what do the advanced stats with Rittich suggest? Lately the team has had that horrible tendancy to give up last minute goals to make 2 goal games into 1 goal games. But the eye test that everyone hates....is telling me....Rittich is saving this teams ass right now. They have not played nearly as well in the last 6 weeks as they had been. They've been needing Rittich's goaltending to compensate for what has been less than effective team play when he's in the net. I'd be interested to see if that's really the case, or if the eye test is letting me down and what I observe to be really good goaltending, is only average.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post: