Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #61
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

There’s nothing for me to say that I haven’t said since the day Smith was acquired. Hopefully management and the coaching staff don’t allow his inability to play goalie at an NHL level to torpedo this season.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #62
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
When did he say that
Or are you just making junk up?
I appreciate your and Bingo's contributions to this site, but I cant think of a single time either of you have cracked down and harshly called out a player for a lengthy dog #### performance. I haven't seen either of you get heated about a bad player.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #63
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

What will it take to get McE from Carolina? Rittich/McE due would be nice. Retain the max 50% of Smith’s salary and give Carolina a second round pick for their trouble. McE actually has the worst stats for the 3 goalies there but at this point 2.81 and .884 would be a godsend vs. what Smith is rocking.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #64
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
How are you going to trade him?
Put him on waivers and bring up Gillies.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #65
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do feel bad for Smith as this is clearly the end of his career.

Only question now is are the Flames stupid enough to let him sewer their season, or do they just give him say, 8 more games this year, MAX and be prepared to take those losses?
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #66
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Traded? No one wants our garbage
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #67
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I appreciate your and Bingo's contributions to this site, but I cant think of a single time either of you have cracked down and harshly called out a player for a lengthy dog #### performance. I haven't seen either of you get heated about a bad player.
That probably makes him a good person. It's a *game* people. Say what you want good or bad, *none* of you call the shots. Maybe fans need to adjust their sense of perspective?
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #68
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post

I literally tonight said they can't go back to Smith.

What more do you want? I guess I could drop in a couple f-bombs or call him a piece of garbage if you want.

I've criticized plenty of players - including Johnny.

I hated Jiri Hudler the entire time he played here.
Just a few examples....

In fact my ENTIRE point in the last few years is that you should hold the players accountable for bad performance.

I don't get heated because that's not my nature. But that doesn't mean I haven't criticized players when they play poorly
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I'd rather see Gillies and Rittich again. At least those two have the potential to get better. Smith is done. How many more weak wrist shots do we have to watch squeak through his pads before Treliving/Peters figure it out?
Gillies is injured.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #70
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I literally tonight said they can't go back to Smith.

What more do you want? I guess I could drop in a couple f-bombs or call him a piece of garbage if you want.

I've criticized plenty of players - including Johnny.

I hated Jiri Hudler the entire time he played here.
Just a few examples....

In fact my ENTIRE point in the last few years is that you should hold the players accountable for bad performance.

I don't get heated because that's not my nature. But that doesn't mean I haven't criticized players when they play poorly
Yeah! But human garbage. Piece of human garbage.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #71
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
What will it take to get McE from Carolina? Rittich/McE due would be nice. Retain the max 50% of Smith’s salary and give Carolina a second round pick for their trouble. McE actually has the worst stats for the 3 goalies there but at this point 2.81 and .884 would be a godsend vs. what Smith is rocking.
I'd rather just jettison Smith to the minors and see if someone waives a guy like McElhinney if the Flames decide going for someone of his calibre is the best bet. The only time they should trade 2nds is if they get a guy like Varlamov.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #72
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This was a questionable acquisition from the beginning, only made palatable by the short term.

Rittich deserves a shot at #1 for sure. But the flames are nervous because the season hangs in the balance and with the struggles in LA and ANA this team should easily make the playoffs so missing because of goaltending will cost jobs
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #73
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Even when he’s stopping the puck I get nervous. He has no rebound control whatsoever anymore. He’s just terrible
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #74
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcrosser View Post
So what do you GM's do if Rittich pulls a Smith? Let's not forget the rest of the team isn't scoring for squat. No offensive help lately.
Thats on Smith as well, the players are on pins and needles when he plays. If they had more confidence in the goalie they would take a few more chances. The defensemen are being extremely cautious.

If he had have played Rittich today and got the win you maybe take a chance with smith against he Oilers, who he usually plays well, now if Rittich has a bad game its a face palm scenario.

I think that Peters has some baggage as it pertains to the scenario with Eddie Lak, he has been way more then patient with Smith.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #75
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Smith is garbage in pads. He should retire or see a psychologist. Both?

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #76
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phagoof View Post
The fact that "The Wizard" went into the season with a broken down Mike Smith as our #1 proves he should be fired.
Asinine. The guy that brought in Hanifin and Hamonic and Lindholm, all of whom are playing great. Who got Rasmus, drafted Valimaki, Dube, Tkachuk, found Rittich. Who negotiated Gaudreau, Hanifin, Monahan etc into great great contracts.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #77
Leo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can we get that accountant guy that filled in for Chicago one period that one time
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #78
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Rittich deserves a shot at #1 for sure. But the flames are nervous because the season hangs in the balance and with the struggles in LA and ANA this team should easily make the playoffs so missing because of goaltending will cost jobs
Pretty much this. BT knows that this is a make or break season for his job security, he's not going to let Smith tank the season. The rest of the team is playing well enough to be a top 2 team in the division and the coaching is making the appropriate adjustments, I don't think he'll go as far as sending him to the minors, but I wouldn't be shocked to an obvious shift to a tandem system or Rittich given the number one by the end of American Thanksgiving.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #79
PuckFather
Draft Pick

Could it be that a trade to the Capitals/Lightning and change of scenery do wonders for him? I think those teams might take him with their goaltending situation/injuries.
PuckFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #80
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't believe some guys on here defended him and Peter's decision to start him AFTER the loss to San Jose.