Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 26 y.o. New Brunswick woman shot and killed by Police

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...tion-1.5599715

If this is FATA I apologize, but I didn't notice it posted anywhere.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

It was being discussed in George Floyd thread, but I think there should be a separate thread on systemic racism in Canada.

Manitoba Indigenous community demonstrates solidarity with Black Lives Matter movement

https://globalnews.ca/news/7018563/m...-lives-matter/

https://globalnews.ca/news/7029219/l...y-racism-june/

Quote:
Chants of “Black lives matter” and “Indigenous lives matter” could be heard through downtown Lethbridge on Thursday afternoon, as more than 1,000 protesters gathered at city hall to protest against racism.
'We need to be here for each other,' say Indigenous supporters of Black Lives Matter

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/i...tter-1.5598570

Last edited by troutman; 06-05-2020 at 12:59 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller, speaking during a news conference Friday in Ottawa, said he's "outraged" by the continuing pattern of police violence against Indigenous people in Canada.

"I don't understand how someone dies during a wellness check," Miller said about Moore's death, adding when he first heard about it he thought it was some kind of a morbid joke.
Comments like this, from a federal minister no less, don't add any sort of value. Pretty clear that his mind is made up that this is a case of police violence against an indigenous person and he even admits he doesn't know how any of it happened, but has decided to make a judgement anyways. Curious how his first reaction to being told one of the people he represents was killed is to assume it's a joke.

I guess one of his colleagues didn't want to be outdone and decided that this is an issue of indigenous women being able to be safe wherever they were, with a few other gender identities tossed in. Again, with no knowledge of the situation.

Quote:
Federal Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations Carolyn Bennett tweeted Thursday that her heart is with Moore's family, friends and community.

"Another Indigenous woman is no longer with us," Bennett wrote. "Significant work remains to ensure that all Indigenous women, girls, Two-Spirit and gender diverse people have access to the supports they need and can walk safely, wherever they live."
Two federal ministers, both with their minds made up before any sort of investigation, making comments that will do nothing but inflame.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Comments like this, from a federal minister no less, don't add any sort of value. Pretty clear that his mind is made up that this is a case of police violence against an indigenous person and he even admits he doesn't know how any of it happened, but has decided to make a judgement anyways. Curious how his first reaction to being told one of the people he represents was killed is to assume it's a joke.

I guess one of his colleagues didn't want to be outdone and decided that this is an issue of indigenous women being able to be safe wherever they were, with a few other gender identities tossed in. Again, with no knowledge of the situation.

Two federal ministers, both with their minds made up before any sort of investigation, making comments that will do nothing but inflame.
While you are not wrong, I'm sure they are privy to more information than we are at the moment. Be interesting to see how it unfolds and if the ministers are both out to lunch, like you suggest.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, but if this happens:

Quote:
Police in the northwestern New Brunswick city say Moore ran out of her apartment onto a balcony with a knife, threatening the officer, who then shot her.
you're getting shot. Period. You can have less lethal like a taser on scene but if someone is threatening police with a knife and they're in range to strike that is a lethal encounter and it will rightfully so be met with a lethal response.

She wasn't killed because police were there for a wellness check, she was killed because of the knife. Full stop. Now if the argument is you don't believe the police due to the current climate then I'll grant you that and we can wait for the independent investigation to take place. But if what the police say happened is actually what happened then this appears to be a good shot.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post

you're getting shot. Period. You can have less lethal like a taser on scene but if someone is threatening police with a knife and they're in range to strike that is a lethal encounter and it will rightfully so be met with a lethal response.

She wasn't killed because police were there for a wellness check, she was killed because of the knife. Full stop. Now if the argument is you don't believe the police due to the current climate then I'll grant you that and we can wait for the independent investigation to take place. But if what the police say happened is actually what happened then this appears to be a good shot.
And yet in Finland I can't recall a single incident ever where someone was shot dead while threatening a police officer with a knife.

Funny how that goes. Almost as if it's not actually necessary.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you redesign police policies to start with the assumption that zero people should be shot by police then you would have different policies for things like wellness checks.

A police officer went to a persons house when a crime was not in progress and killed someone. The initiating incident was and armed person attending the call.

Why do you send an armed person into this situation. We don’t arm social workers and psychiatrists.

A fundamental change in armed officers needs to be considered.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So if the deceased was on a second floor balcony waiving a knife then it's still justifiable?

I think I'll wait until more of the story is released before I choose a side.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I posted this video in the George Floyd thread yesterday. In it, policing experts from the UK claim that it is absolutely NOT necessary to shoot suspects armed with knives and that officers can disarm and apprehend them in a non-lethal manner that is safe for both the police and for the public. So don't claim that it's a fait accompli that this woman had to be shot dead and no other outcome was possible. Maybe it was indeed necessary to use lethal force in this particular case. I'm personally withholding judgement either way until more facts are known. I can say definitively, though, that if we trained our cops differently, fewer people would be killed by their hand, and it's possible Ms. Moore might still be alive.

MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
The thing that I always wonder about this video is that there is probably 20-25 cops there, dealing with that one guy. What's going on in the rest of the city, while a large portion of the Service is there, dealing with that guy.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
The thing that I always wonder about this video is that there is probably 20-25 cops there, dealing with that one guy. What's going on in the rest of the city, while a large portion of the Service is there, dealing with that guy.
It's London, population 9 million. I doubt ~20 cops is a "large portion" of their police service.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #12
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just for an example - Calgary has 1900 police officers - https://www.calgary.ca/cps/working-f...ry-police.html

Obviously they all don't work at the same time - but quite likely you could have 2 or 3 of these things happening at the same time in Calgary and still police the rest of the place.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #13
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

London has 30,000 police officers
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #14
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

was the cop on the balcony? was she a few feet away from him advancing with a the knife and he had no way to retreat and stay safe until back up arrived?

You and I aren't allowed to shoot someone because they have a knife and are threatening us, we have to prove we had no alternative and would absolutley have been injured or killed if we did anything else and could not escape, if we don't retreat when we can but choose to shoot we go to jail.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #15
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah 2 important words for self defence, imminent threat.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:13 PM   #16
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't matter that the cops are there, if you can get 20 cops there the incident is resolved very quickly and they all go back to what ever they were doing before, the problem is getting that many cops there quick enough.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #17
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with the comparison is that at least in this instance the woman who was shot went right out of the apartment to the police officer (allegedly). You can't have 20 cops available for every encounter due to the potential that someone may have a knife.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #18
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
was the cop on the balcony? was she a few feet away from him advancing with a the knife and he had no way to retreat and stay safe until back up arrived?

You and I aren't allowed to shoot someone because they have a knife and are threatening us, we have to prove we had no alternative and would absolutley have been injured or killed if we did anything else and could not escape, if we don't retreat when we can but choose to shoot we go to jail.
Why do you keep bringing this up? Comparing you or I to police. Seriously man. Go do some reading. They are not the same. They have powers specifically written into the criminal code. Now if you want to say the criminal code should be changed, not only is that silly, but no one would sign up to be a cop.

That London video seems to be the standard of how to deal with the knife wielding assailant. It's great if you have 30 cops there. Someone mentioned 1900 sworn members in Calgary acknowledging that not all 1900 are working at one time. You also have to consider how many in uniform, how many are first responders and then how many are working on a given shift. I'd suggest, you may have 10 - 20 in an ENTIRE district at times.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #19
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
And yet in Finland I can't recall a single incident ever where someone was shot dead while threatening a police officer with a knife.

Funny how that goes. Almost as if it's not actually necessary.
I typed it into Google. Boom!

https://amp-scroll-in.cdn.ampproject...eople-in-turku

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

One would think that a federal minster might want to wait until there is a report on the situation, but, the virtue signal is so important.

As an aside, time to ban knives?