Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Season Ticket Holder Video Conference Calls

The Flames held the first of three video conference calls today at noon. Here were my notes on the fly, hosted by Rollie Cyr, panalists John Bean and Brad Treliving:

Bean:
- Thoughts to the King Family in the passing of Ken.
- Thoughts to Fort McMurray
- Be careful what you read.
- Event Center is still planning on being opened Sept of 2024.
- 'Washroom Problem' is a major focus!
- Confirmed the idea of having 4 locations for each division
- Credit for tickets on last 8 games that were not played? Give credit for these games, could be rolled into next season (would be given some incentive to do this). Will provide refunds to those that want them.
- Can go with empty buildings to finish this season, but 2021 will NEED gate revenue to have a sustainable business.

Treliving on Hockey
- Three paths of thoughts: Draft, The Season, 2021.

Draft:
- Draft Prep has continued as normal as it can with the current conditions. Players interviews taking place on Webex.
- Interviewing 100+ Players.
- Will have direction on WHEN the draft will happen from the league in the next 48-72 hrs.

This Season:
- Players are eager to get back. ...Just dont know when.

Recent Signings:
- FA negotiations put on hold until there is a better handle on the cap.
- All new ones are entry level contracts.
- Mackey and Poolman - considered 'really good prospects'. Both have a real good change to be players. Mackey's timeline is more advanced. Could challenge for a spot next year.
- Both are mature physically and mentally.
- 3 players to AHL contracts, Morrow, Noah King, Coltrain Wilson. 3 big D-men that will come to camp, and more likely be in Stockton next year
- Petterson: Team wanted him in their own dev program, happy to get that done.
- Kinvall: Contract was rejected by the league today. A couple of changes were needed in the assignment clause and will be resolved in the next 24 hrs.
- 1 more signing to come up in the next few days.

Seattle Expansion:
- Still on track, no changes. June 2021 before the draft there will be an expansion draft, same rules and regs as the Vegas draft.
- Valimaki doing well in rehab, and if he did not play a game this year, he would be exempt. He has not been cleared to play, yet.
- Are taking all learnings from NFL draft.

Development system:
- Heavy investment in Stockton over the past few years. Development of players is the prime focus.
- Gawdin has taken a big step forward, Phillips had a tremendous season, Ruzicka, Pospisil are players we will hear from in Calgary.
- Very proud of the job done there.

Coaches:
- Ray Edwards is in charged of all development.
- When a kid is drafted, first call is Tre, 2nd is Ray.
- We continue to evaluate everyone.

Goaltending
- Been their MVP
- Rittich was great first half, struggled late in the year. This is why they signed Talbot.
- Goalies gave us a chance to win every night.

Other Notes:
- Chris Snow is doing great.
- Tre has not worn pants since March 15th.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As a season ticket holder, this is the first time I've heard about a conference call happening, would have liked to join in on it.

But thanks for posting all the info!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

myself as well. You said there are 3 total?

when are the other 2?
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I've been a season ticket holder for over a decade and this thread is the first I've heard of these. Asked a friend who has been one for under five years and he got the invitations (not that seniority should matter). Weird.

I think I've missed one of these in my time, maybe even zero. These sessions are one of the highlights of being a season ticket holder for me.

Thanks Incogneto and anyone else who chimes in for the updates, though. Appreciated!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they mention anything about talk of exempt buy out contracts? I actually like lucic a lot, but to be able to spend that $5.25 million elsewhere would be huge.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I wonder if the signing to come could be Linus Lindstrom or Milos Roman; the Flames' exclusive rights to them expire June 1 and I've long thought they would choose just one.

My guess would be Lindstrom.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I did not get the invite either . In the past, I think this is the event with the buffet
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Appreciate the info and pissed that I was not aware or invited.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss the STH buffet lunches. Really solid spread

Quote:
Valimaki doing well in rehab, and if he did not play a game this year, he would be exempt. He has not been cleared to play, yet.
That’s a bit of a silver lining. Between Gio, Rasmus, and Hanifin, we already have 3 D we would need to protect.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Valimaki doing well in rehab, and if he did not play a game this year, he would be exempt.

If he is healthy enough to play but the Flames do not play him, as let’s say he’s be about 9th in the depth chart (really just saying that to keep him out of games)
Would that still count? If so realistically I could see him only playing if really needed and in a deep playoff run.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome notes. Thanks!
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #12
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
myself as well. You said there are 3 total?

when are the other 2?
I got the email yesterday from my rep:

Quote:
SEASON TICKET MEMBER UPDATE
JOIN FLAMES MANAGEMENT AND HOCKEY OPERATIONS

Dear Incogento,

We hope you're staying safe and well during these difficult times. While the 2019-20 NHL season is still on pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we wanted to invite our Season Ticket Members to join us on a video conference call with Flames management and hockey operations. They'll be providing you with an update on what's going on behind the scenes as well as fielding your questions.

Click below to register to take part in one of our three video conference calls.
THURSDAY,
APR. 30 @ 12:00PM
REGISTER NOW

THURSDAY,
APR. 30 @ 7:00PM
REGISTER NOW

FRIDAY
MAY 1 @ 4:00PM
REGISTER NOW
Space is limited. Panelists, dates and times subject to change.

Have a question you want answered on the call? Click here to submit your question.
If any STH's want the link for Tomorrow's, DM me and I will share the registration Link.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It must be phased. I just got one to register for tomorrow or Monday. I didn't get the previous one.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #14
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't get this one but I received one about a week and half ago for Friday April 24th web session with Brad Treliving doing Q&A.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

They are doing them on a phased, limited invite basis, due to the size of the meetings.
I believe it is about 100 at a time.
The goal is to ensure every STH gets invited to one, and they have different attendees.

I understand Webex limits to 200 invitees, while zoom is 100, without add-ons, so everyone cannot be invited to every one.
IamNotKenKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #16
Rubber Ducky
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Today's speakers are Rollie Cyr, Craig Conroy and Geoff Ward. I think the host said there are 33 people listening in. Pretty neat.

Rollie is starting off, thanking Emergency Responders, and said thoughts are going out to people in Fort McMurray and Halifax.

Geoff and Craig both had intros. Connie's intro was about 56 times longer than Geoff's.

Geoff - talks to players once every 7-10 days, how's training, how's families
- sending players videos on how Flames play, motivational videos for their training

Connie - aside from Valimaki, haven't drafted a D in 3 years
- been busy signing D players from college
- Connor Mackie was offered a contract last year, almost left school, but it didn't work, Connie got him on the third try, big guy, moves well, sees the ice well
- Poolman, hard-working, tough
- Greg Morrow, went to Connie's school
- talked about a couple more guys but Connie talks pretty fast....
- Kinvill contract was rejected today, but they plan on straightening it out, 1 more year in Sweden, then coming over
- Dustin Wolf, signed yesterday, very exciting
- Emilio Petterson, thought about going back to college, had a great year
- Connie feels like Flames have hit a home run thus far

Geoff - liked how we were playing prior to The Pause, thought we were trending well, rounding into form for the end of the season, felt like defensive game was rounding in (except for the two 8 goal games at home - he actually said that... ha ha!)

Connie - Rollie asked him to expand on Dustin Wolf and his draft experience. People were worried about his size, Connie thought the Kings were going to take him, technically he's great, the explosion when Dustin was taken with the last pick gave Connie goosebumps, Dustin had tears in his eyes when he came around to shake hands, one of the best experiences Connie has had in any draft.

Geoff - Rollie asked how Geoff ended up in Calgary. He was happy in Jersey, broke a playoff drought, looked forward to building in Jersey, Peters got hired in CGY, Brad called Ray Shero to talk to Geoff to hire him, Ray told Geoff that he was the only guy the Flames wanted to talk to, Geoff and Bill talked at the World Championships, hung out after in North Carolina at Bill's place, Geoff liked Bill's philosophy, Geoff went back to the guys in Jersey and said he'd like to try the Calgary gig.
- Geoff makes his home here now, in Calgary. Glad the snow has stopped. Ha ha!

Connie - Rollie asked if he missed playing. Connie watched Game 7 against the Canucks with his girls, all the players started texting back-and-forth, got Connie's juices flowing, Rhett got it started, said it was fun texting with all his former teammates

Geoff - Rollie asked about Milan Lucic, Geoff compared him to Mark Rechhi in Boston when they won the Cup, leadership + experience + physical play, feels that Lucic could get back to scoring more if put in the right position, experienced player take their game to the next level post-trade deadline, figured Looch was reaching that, most people don't realize what Looch brings to the team, figures everyone is happy in the room with Lucic and the team would do it again.
- Rollie noted the fan passion for Lucic was obvious, and Lucic appreciates that. Looch likes when fans root for him, chant his name.

Connie - there's a year-end tournament where CSEC employees play a tournament, last year Connie got cheap-shotted by a cook and ended up chasing around the wrong guy (Kyle Cyr). Laughed about it, can't take the player out of the player.

Geoff - Rollie asked about Johnny's play. At The Pause, Johnny was just starting to score. Had a great year last year, hard to duplicate that, had early struggles, but was rounding into form, Johnny likes to score and wants to score, take pride in his game, when things weren't going well Johnny was all about the team, was willing to work through his issues, Johnny looked at his D game so that he could end up with the puck more, once Johnny put the frustration to bed he started to get better.

Connie - Rollie asked about Valimaki. Connie watched Valimaki on the ice, was impressed with his movement and skating, really coming along well, doctor said 9 to 10 months so is right on track, September comeback would be great, curious to see how he's feeling once The Pause is over, Connie wants to make sure he's 100% before coming back.

Geoff - Rollie asked about the players being off the ice for so long during The Pause. Geoff thinks he's going to have 5 weeks to get players to play, 2 weeks in small groups (gym, ice), then 3 week training camp, make 2 teams for training camp, still based on the League okaying it, want to play some games, important to have game play, wants to have enough players to play some games against each other, wants high pace and conditioning, goal is to be rest and ready, figures 5 weeks is enough.

Connie - asked about 2 D acquired at the Trade Deadline. Can we ever have too many D? Connie liked both guys, tough to come to a new team but both guys played well, recognized that Hamonic and Brodie are UFA this summer, Brad is talking to agents, Connie looking forward to the new guys playing more, both guys like being here.

Geoff - likes both guys, both bring something to the team, really important that both guys WANT to be here, PP and PK.

Geoff - asked about moving from Assoc Coach to Head Coach. Knew the players which is an advantage, easier transition, everything is a team environment, players are asked for their input, had to get used to running a bench again which was the biggest transition, Ward has never coached with any of these coaches before.

Should all rounds of the playoffs be 7 games?

Connie - yes, if there are 16 teams, should be 7 game series
Geoff - agrees 100%, had experience in the AHL with a short series and didn't like it as they fell behind early, nothing like 7 game series, better team will win, better for the fans

Will the KHL survive and what does that do for player competition.

Connie - NHL has been trying to get an agreement with the Russian but can't get it done, great players are over there, Flames are watching but KHL teams are locking players up, with no agreement can't do much, lots of intriguing players
Geoff - most of the revenue comes from sponsorship and tickets, pandemic may hurt that, if German League doesn't go next season some teams may go bankrupt.

Asked about Chris Snow.

Connie - just texted him today, he's doing great, using a drug from Toronto, went and got what he needed done, doesn't have to travel to TO once a month, can do it now in Calgary.

European players - are our guys skating.

Connie - Kylington has been skating from the get-go, not sure about other Swedes.
Geoff - all Euro players are skating, or have opportunity to skate, Tobias Reider went back to Germany and can't skate there

Any farm team updates.

Connie - mentioned some Heat players have had good seasons, very comfortable with the farm, lots of AHL players will get a chance.
Geoff - likes that Stockton guys are learning to be pros AND learning how to win.

Player development.

Connie - as soon as player is drafted they have a plan for the player, constantly in touch, are they following the plan, improving skating isn't fun but development camp is great for that, players like 23 or 19 are always working with skating coaches, not easy but necessary

Random comment - would Calgary switch Divisions with Seattle coming in? Connie says no way, looking forward to great rivalries.

Geoff - player development is the same in Calgary and Stockton, they use Player Performance Keys to measure development, lots of talk with players and coaches, don't want players to become stagnant, plan is to push players to advance and develop.

Connie - asked about 88, pleased with his game in the AHL, transition to the NHL was tough, 88 thought he was ready but found NHL to be tough, work ethic is great, one of last guys on the ice, always learning and working hard, asks how to get better, puts in the work, has done everything asked, has taken advantage of situations

Geoff - likes what 88 brings, extremely competitive, has a great work ethic, structure allows skill level to improve, can see confidence growing.

Asked both guys about personal routines.

Geoff - keeps a routine, does a morning workout, goes for run, spends time with his 4 kids and their online schooling, spends the afternoons on hockey, talk with coaches regularly, what will the training camp look like, review the games so far, scouted teams in our Division, looking at different playoff scenarios, lots of video, talking to players, watches Netflix and plays Scrabble at night.

Connie - getting ready for draft, Management calls, talks to scouts and agents, goes for a walk every day with wife and sometimes kids, college kids will tell him to keep it down, school is done now, getting ready for the draft and free agency.

Last question. Goalie evaluations.

Geoff - happy with goaltending, have had their highs and lows like all players, been able to use both guys, had both guys exactly where they wanted them with regards to games played, feel that goal is an area of strength for the team, doesn't think one guy can carry the mail, both goalies get along and push each other, both guys are healthy, nothing wrong with Rittich or Talbot health-wise, everyone is anxious to see what Wolf does, Jordan Sigalet is happy with goalie development

Connie - talking to Talbot, they love Calgary, loved Edmonton, like Alberta, not sure what's going to happen with Gillies but it hasn't worked out, he's a free agent not sure what's going to happen, Zagadullon has options in Russia so they're going to work on him, Parsons needs the net in Stockton, Scheneider in the East Coast has done well, goalies take longer to develop, pleased with our crop of goalies, can't wait to see how Rittich/Talbot play in the playoffs.

Game refunds - 8 games to play, no news to report, season ticket holders will likely get a refund or credit for next year.

Last words -

Geoff - thanks for tuning it, enjoyed it, stay safe and healthy.
Connie - someone asked about his favourite number and it's 22. That's his favourite. Also thanked the fans.

We were on for an hour. I thought about going back to proof-read this, but I'm too tired. Ha ha! I'm sure I spelled some player names wrong, but you'll get the gist of it.

Very neat opportunity to listen in! I recommend if you're a season ticket holder to reach out to your Account Manager and ask how to get on the invite list.
Rubber Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #17
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Schedule finally allowed me to jump into one with Hockey Operations (not too interested in the players sessions). Listened on-and-off while working so missed probably half of it. Some repetition with what other posters mentioned.

This afternoon's session was supposed to be Brad Treliving but he had to dip out for personal reasons so it was John Bean and Craig Conroy.

Building
- The architect has been chosen
- Three construction companies bid on the project. Doing interviews now.
- Timeline is obviously crunching but no issue hitting opening date goal at this time.
- Five cohort buildings chosen, all of which the Flames will tour with the architect and construction company they choose. Plan to take pros and cons from each. The five are Edmonton, Las Vegas, Detroit, Columbus, and Minneapolis (Timberwolves).
- Ownership has a list of nine (I think he said) priorities. The number one priority is atmosphere and creating the best home-ice advantage possible, which means they want the seats to be steep and as much red as possible.
- Have heard lots about washroom problems at the 'Dome. One thing they have already learned from Edmonton is that Edmonton actually has more toilets/person than the old arena but they are poorly located. Studying optimal placement.
- Planning to include a focus group of season ticket holders for in-person involvement through the process. Have to sign up then random draw.

Hockey
- Calgary is out of the running as a hub city. Down to Edmonton or Vegas if they go with division hubs.
- Still holding out hope to finish the final eight games but seems like straight to playoffs, though always changing.
- Conroy's most hated player was Ryan Smyth, followed by Steve Yzerman.
- When Conroy was still playing, he asked Wayne Gretzky to autograph a picture after a game but Gretzky said absolute not because Conroy hit him hard during the game. Mark Messier ended up getting it signed for Conroy.
- Conroy says it's a tough spot for Lucic as he has precedent this year of getting suspended for throwing one punch in a scrum where everyone else apparently doesn't.
- Rules obviously not decided, but don't imagine Valimaki can play and retain exemption status. But if he's the best player to help them win he'll play and burn it.

- No ticket announcement until games remaining are official, but option will be credit to next season or outright refund.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 05-12-2020 at 07:30 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #18
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^I was listening in as well, and to correct your last point I believe they said you could reach out to your rep now if you want a refund, but their preference is you take the credit for next season.

I also heard Conroy let something slip about the draft I believe, but my son started crying and I missed what he said. He back peddled a bit and talked about how he did the same thing with the Glencross signing announcing it on TV before the Flames had officially.

Conroy also has a nickname as Santa Clause from Treliving as the two player contracts he was involved in he gave up too much, Gaudreau's first and I believe Glencross, but again I was half paying attention due to a fussy baby.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #19
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I missed the particulars of what he leaked about the draft too. Just caught the tail end where the other guys were giving him the gears for it.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #20
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that they're looking at the Target Center and not the Xcel Arena in Minnesota. It's almost as old as the Saddledome, although it has been significantly renovated in recent years.

The one thing about the Target Center that stands out over other arenas is they added a green roof a few years ago. That could be something they're looking at.

The other arenas all make sense. The three newest arenas in the league (and two in the Flames' division, so they've spent some time there) and Columbus is still very highly regarded, even 20 years later.