Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #1021
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s not for everyone, as not everyone needs to watch $50+ worth of television a month, and it usually provides a cheaper way to get better content. So all price things being equal, you have more access to quality programming through streaming than you do through cable.
And cable company hardware sucks. Even though I get cable TV through my building’s contract I still watch everything streamed. The Sportsnet App has better video quality than I get through cable. 60fps vs 30fps and less compression artifacts, surprisingly.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #1022
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It’s not for everyone, as not everyone needs to watch $50+ worth of television a month, and it usually provides a cheaper way to get better content. So all price things being equal, you have more access to quality programming through streaming than you do through cable.
That’s just it. With cable i have access to say 50 channels which include, local tv, tons of sports, disney content, hbo, international news etc etc. It’s all on demand since i can keep multiple shows and movies on my pvr. I get a lot of shows on cable that are offered on separate streams.

With say a disney stream for $14 i get just a disney stream which isn’t all on demand since they’ve gone on record saying shows will be added and removed. If you go down the list of what they are offering there’s a ton of fillers. Shows like the simpsons or star wars are sooner or later all offered on cable anyway plus i get a lot more.

Sorry, cable cutting is not a cost saver at all.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #1023
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
And cable company hardware sucks. Even though I get cable TV through my building’s contract I still watch everything streamed. The Sportsnet App has better video quality than I get through cable. 60fps vs 30fps and less compression artifacts, surprisingly.
Sorry i disagree. Cable hardware used to suck. I had the new shaw box and it was really good. Haven’t had telus in a while so i’m not sure how their’s is but probably better than buying individual streams.

Sure if you want to pay for individual streams just for marginally better quality that you may or may not actually notice then have at it. I’m done with buying everything separately. I had a much better variety of content on cable for a lower price.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #1024
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Sorry i disagree. Cable hardware used to suck. I had the new shaw box and it was really good. Haven’t had telus in a while so i’m not sure how their’s is but probably better than buying individual streams.

Sure if you want to pay for individual streams just for marginally better quality that you may or may not actually notice then have at it. I’m done with buying everything separately. I had a much better variety of content on cable for a lower price.
I’m just stating my personal preference. If you prefer cable that’s great.

Maybe the newer Shaw boxes are great but my experience is with the Gateway. It’s started out ok but the UI chugs now. And they won’t sell me a Bluesky box because of our bulk contract. Another reason I’m glad I cancelled it.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #1025
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I’m just stating my personal preference. If you prefer cable that’s great.

Maybe the newer Shaw boxes are great but my experience is with the Gateway. It’s started out ok but the UI chugs now. And they won’t sell me a Bluesky box because of our bulk contract. Another reason I’m glad I cancelled it.
I hated every shaw box except this new bluesky box they have. The old ones were bulky, slow and loud with user unfriendly guides.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #1026
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Telus hardware is fantastic. I have a 4k PVR and a 4k wireless box and they both work very well.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #1027
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, cable cutting is not a cost saver at all.
Which, again, is depending on how much tv you need.

If you spend a ton of free time watching tv or have a bunch of major network shows you can’t live without, then you’re probably all-in on a cable package. If you’re the type of person who just wants HBO, or just Netflix, or even both, but you can do without endless piles of everything else, you stand to save a whole bunch of money. Whereas before you didn’t have that option.

I don’t believe cord cutting was ever touted as a cost saving option for people who wanted everything. It’s for people who don’t want everything.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #1028
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I recently dumped cable. My monthly bill went down 150 dollars. (still have to have them for internet) With that savings, I could subscribe to just about all the streaming services and come out ahead. Our plan was to just do a few netflix, disney+, and maybe hbo or something.

Right now I am trying a super sketchy service my brother in law uses so its even bigger savings, but I realize thats not the spirit of the thread.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #1029
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which, again, is depending on how much tv you need.

If you spend a ton of free time watching tv or have a bunch of major network shows you can’t live without, then you’re probably all-in on a cable package. If you’re the type of person who just wants HBO, or just Netflix, or even both, but you can do without endless piles of everything else, you stand to save a whole bunch of money. Whereas before you didn’t have that option.

I don’t believe cord cutting was ever touted as a cost saving option for people who wanted everything. It’s for people who don’t want everything.
I'm down to just DAZN for sports and Netflix and Amazon Prime for TV/movies. Prime doesn't really count because I already have a Prime subscription and I'm very seriously considering dumping Netflix, which would mean that DAZN, at a $150 per year, would be my only subscription. Far cheaper than cable.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #1030
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm down to just DAZN for sports and Netflix and Amazon Prime for TV/movies. Prime doesn't really count because I already have a Prime subscription and I'm very seriously considering dumping Netflix, which would mean that DAZN, at a $150 per year, would be my only subscription. Far cheaper than cable.
DAZN needs to offer a lot more content for $150 to make me contemplating dumping canke. Currently doesn't have NHL, PGA Tour or F1.

If you are a football nut, it looks pretty good.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #1031
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
DAZN needs to offer a lot more content for $150 to make me contemplating dumping canke. Currently doesn't have NHL, PGA Tour or F1.

If you are a football nut, it looks pretty good.
I only really care about NFL, Premier League, and Champions League, so it suits my needs.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #1032
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Currently doesn't have NHL, PGA Tour or F1.
Have you tried F1 TV? It’s cool to get the live timings and car cameras but the apps are garbage. They need to step up their game if they want me to re-subscribe.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #1033
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Switching providers conundrum

I currently have internet through Teksavvy. It's great, support when I required it was pretty good too.

They just lowered their rate to $80/month. Excellent.

Except when I look around. I'm in a Shaw area. A Shaw contract (ugh) would average $72.50/month over 2 years. Can-com, with no contract would be $47/month. Lightspeed is $50/month.

That's over $30/month difference.

What I can find is that support is also good through these, everything else is the same.

What I can't figure out is why I see everyone suggesting Teksavvy instead of these others? What am I missing?

Thanks
ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #1034
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschand View Post
I currently have internet through Teksavvy. It's great, support when I required it was pretty good too.

They just lowered their rate to $80/month. Excellent.

Except when I look around. I'm in a Shaw area. A Shaw contract (ugh) would average $72.50/month over 2 years. Can-com, with no contract would be $47/month. Lightspeed is $50/month.

That's over $30/month difference.

What I can find is that support is also good through these, everything else is the same.

What I can't figure out is why I see everyone suggesting Teksavvy instead of these others? What am I missing?

Thanks
ers

I still pay $60/mo for 300 with shaw. 70-80 I think is pretty standard for that.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #1035
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Okay you may not think or claim that, but that was absolutely a huge talking point from many people when they were laughing at cable companies saying they were glad to see them fail. With all cable companies offering streaming on any device that's one less thing that streaming services had over them. Customers will never come out ahead of companies in the end (unless you pirate).

When this was the big claim I knew exactly how streaming was going to go - right back to the price of cable, only your money goes to separate companies (cable company for internet, Netflix, sports streaming packages, HBO, Disney etc). And before you say it's cheaper, we're not done the transition yet, they'll get there, don't worry.

They were always going to get your money
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #1036
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Do you not watch hockey?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #1037
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in the same boat as Rube as far as viewing needs, so DAZN is perfect. However, my son has become a hockey nut, so I need to find a hockey source. I know the illegal way, but what is the best economical legal option sans cable?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #1038
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I am in the same boat as Rube as far as viewing needs, so DAZN is perfect. However, my son has become a hockey nut, so I need to find a hockey source. I know the illegal way, but what is the best economical legal option sans cable?
The only legal option is Sportsnet Now (assuming you only want Flames games). You'd also get all Oilers games and any national games carried by Sportsnet and HNIC.

If you also want games that aren't on Sportsnet/HNIC, you'll need NHL Live (formerly GameCentre Live).
Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #1039
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

If you've got Telus, I've got Pik TV for 2 years $5/month with a $5/month credit (so free) including 5 specialty channels then I added the sports package which includes all of the Sportsnet channels and TSN for $14/month.

It's a bit of a cop out to cutting the cord, but at least it's not traditional cable.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #1040
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking about cutting the cord, since the only thing I watch on TV is hockey.

What is the cheapest way to watch the Flames in Calgary?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote