Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #2761
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop by Glenmore Boats and grab a cleat like this:

Spoiler!

You can hang a small bag underneath, and just quickly coil and toss it in for neatness.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #2762
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Stop by Glenmore Boats and grab a cleat like this:

Spoiler!

You can hang a small bag underneath, and just quickly coil and toss it in for neatness.
Ya, not a bad idea, might look into those ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
How much room below those hooks do you have to the base of the 4x4? You could install hooks below to wrap the extra cord on. The other option would be similar to a patio umbrella, a reel and crank system.
Its a 6x6 on the second story....so lots of room. But crank wouldnt work due to the fact it'd be on the back side and hard to get at. But not a bad idea using the hooks to wrap and then a cleat/thinger for the locking mech
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #2763
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoilered for size.

Had a leak in the basement and had someone come out to help, weirdly enough there is some loose fill in the walls.

Looks like cellulose to me but does it look like asbestos to anyone?

Spoiler!
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #2764
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Spoilered for size.

Had a leak in the basement and had someone come out to help, weirdly enough there is some loose fill in the walls.

Spoiler!
Just looks like Rockwool to me... Don't think you can diagnose asbestos without a microscope either way
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #2765
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoilered for size.

Spoiler!
Definitely looks like it's just cellulose
Old 06-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #2766
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like standard cellulose, pretty safe but can only be sure with a test.

The main issue with asbestos in house insulation comes from Vermiculite which was sold as Zonolite, a dump in add on for attics.

I have opened walls and had this stuff come out but it was poured on top of existing wood chip insulation to fill gaps from sag.

https://indoorscience.com/blog/vermi...-and-asbestos/
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:55 PM   #2767
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoilered for size.

Spoiler!

It just looks nasty. We have that in our attic and the first time I saw it I was startled. I thought we had some kind of mouse infestation that tore up all the pink batting.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #2768
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm, found one.

Last edited by Table 5; 06-11-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #2769
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has any donated used building materials to someplace like ReStore before? Anything I should be aware of?

I did a major refresh on my home recently and I have nearly 20 honey oak hollow core room doors to donate, 5 bi-fold closet doors and brass door hardware for nearly 30 doors. So I'm interested in the pickup option vs dropping them off myself, but unsure if they're doing that due to covid (seems like they are on their website, but I'll call later to confirm). The form seems relatively straight forward. I'll have to take a ton of pics and sort though a few boxes worth of stuff though.

There's a few other things they don't take like brass towel rack, toilet paper holder and light fittings + tons of fluorescent bulbs from an LED swap I'd love to get rid of, but I'm assuming they won't help with that, so it might have to go to Kijiji vagrants for that.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #2770
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dropped off stuff here a few months ago:

https://good-4u.com/

He seemed to take anything. Not sure about pickup, but for drop off I just hauled it in and left it at the desk.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #2771
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I dropped off stuff here a few months ago:

https://good-4u.com/

He seemed to take anything. Not sure about pickup, but for drop off I just hauled it in and left it at the desk.
Yeah, I contacted those guys at the end of February, sent pics, had several phone calls with them and discussed pick up and communication just completely broke down with them near the end of February. Communication was weird and confusing in the first place as well which wasn't idea. No replies even with a few follow ups. Then Covid happened in March and I just decided to put it on the side burner.

I have enough stuff that it would probably take at least 2-3 truck beds worth of drop offs to get rid of. I don't own a truck and I'm not renting a thing to tow that stuff to their location, so it's far preferable to ask for pick up.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #2772
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any ideas on a register that has zero airflow?

I know very little about HVAC, but it seems like this register is disconnected somewhere. The problem is its in the baby room and with a month or so of data collection, its the hottest room in the house.

Its your typical 2 story suburb. The side of the house is hot already because it faces east and gets pounded by the sun all morning. We have A/C but its not particularly effective on the top floor.

Basement is unfinished so I have access to the base of the HVAC system. What I'm wondering is if its possible to replace that run of duct? Are those things secured in a way that I could disconnect it at the register and then just pull it out through basement.

I really don't want to start cutting into walls or ceilings. Part of me wonders if the second register would even make much of a difference.

It just makes me wonder why one single register has zero airflow and if it's disconnected somewhere and if that disconnect could actually be related to subpar cooling/heating on the entire second floor.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #2773
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

I know very little about HVAC, but it seems like this register is disconnected somewhere. The problem is its in the baby room and with a month or so of data collection, its the hottest room in the house.

Its your typical 2 story suburb. The side of the house is hot already because it faces east and gets pounded by the sun all morning. We have A/C but its not particularly effective on the top floor.

Basement is unfinished so I have access to the base of the HVAC system. What I'm wondering is if its possible to replace that run of duct? Are those things secured in a way that I could disconnect it at the register and then just pull it out through basement.

I really don't want to start cutting into walls or ceilings. Part of me wonders if the second register would even make much of a difference.

It just makes me wonder why one single register has zero airflow and if it's disconnected somewhere and if that disconnect could actually be related to subpar cooling/heating on the entire second floor.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

While doing our basement a few years back I went around to all the exposed ductwork to make sure I sealed the crappy connections and to check they were tight. Lo and behold I had one fall apart in my hands... thankfully it was easy to access to add some screws instead of crappy pressure-fit. Your ductwork might have fallen apart too... best you could do perhaps is to try to track down where you have a hot-spot on a wall if your furnace is blasting. perhaps Google could provide some guidance how to do that.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #2774
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I had this in my master bedroom in my old house in Silverado. One of the 90 degree corners fell apart and I was heating/cooling my floor joists. It was diagnosed by using a snake/inspection camera.

Had to cut the floor to repair it, but it was well worth the effort. I'm not the handiest person alive but was able to tackle it with some help from my old man.

Depending on when your house was built, your subfloor might be attached with construction adhesive which is a bitch to pull up. You will likely need to replace the subfloor you pull up so make sure you have enough on hand to patch it.

Last edited by DoubleK; 06-16-2020 at 01:06 AM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #2775
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda thinking out loud...

If you were to build a wood fence, wouldn't it be better to to put heavy duty galvanized steel posts (like for a chainlink fence) into concrete, then clad the posts in like 2x6 cedar or something?

I think when you put PT or Cedar wood directly into concrete, the expansion and contraction of the wood over a period of a few short years would crack the concrete making it useless. Especially if you are using 6x6 posts.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #2776
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Kinda thinking out loud...

If you were to build a wood fence, wouldn't it be better to to put heavy duty galvanized steel posts (like for a chainlink fence) into concrete, then clad the posts in like 2x6 cedar or something?

I think when you put PT or Cedar wood directly into concrete, the expansion and contraction of the wood over a period of a few short years would crack the concrete making it useless. Especially if you are using 6x6 posts.

I think your issue would be attaching the rest of the fence to the cladded posts. The cladding would have to be fastened to the post very well so I don't think a chain link post would work. You'd need a fairly substantial, at least 4x4 square steel post so that you could attach (bolt?) the cladding to it so that it could carry the load of the fence that attaches to it. That much steel is, or was (not sure what steel price are) way too expensive.

But I'm sure there is something that you could use, like whatever they use for the plastic fencing you see once in a while. There's something better out there for sure. Just look at alternative fencing and see if you could adapt it to use with your traditional wood fence.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #2777
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also thinking out loud, but I'm not sure if the expansion and contraction is strong enough to crack concrete. Could be wrong. The issue long term with wood in concrete is premature rot. Concrete retains moisture so its in constant contact with no chance of drying out. A gravel pack is usually the best. I think you're asking for other issues if you try and clad a steel post with wood.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #2778
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting points. I don't mind doing maintenance on the fence, and I love the wood look.

What I don't like is having to replace posts.

Fencetrac has some attractive looking fences that integrate the steel posts into the overall look of the fence that I never thought of before.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #2779
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about this?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pea...der/1000166189
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #2780
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post

I think those might be too floppy. But I don't know that for sure. They're commonly used for decks so no risk of toppling sideways.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote