Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Negotiating HELOC at the same time as mortgage renewal?

Hi,

Is there any benefit to trying to get a HELOC at the same time as you go through your mortgage renewal? Could it be used to "sweeten the pot" by the borrower in order to secure a better rate from the lender?

In my case I forecast to have some equity built up at my next mortgage renewal, but not enough equity such that the LTV with the HELOC would be below 65% or the threshold to have a HELOC with an institution that does not hold the mortgage.

Given that I would have to arrange the HELOC with the bank that wins my mortgage renewal, is there a benefit to me in using this in the negotiation?

Thank you
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Contact MillerTime GFG on this forum. He's beyond helpful and extremely savy on how to utilize HELOC's and other personal finance tools.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Mortgage Made Easy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Hi,

Is there any benefit to trying to get a HELOC at the same time as you go through your mortgage renewal? Could it be used to "sweeten the pot" by the borrower in order to secure a better rate from the lender?

In my case I forecast to have some equity built up at my next mortgage renewal, but not enough equity such that the LTV with the HELOC would be below 65% or the threshold to have a HELOC with an institution that does not hold the mortgage.

Given that I would have to arrange the HELOC with the bank that wins my mortgage renewal, is there a benefit to me in using this in the negotiation?

Thank you

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, the lender is unlikely to sweeten the pot if you request to obtain a HELOC. The rate that is offered will be standard with or without the HELOC.

In many cases, the rates offered by institutions without a HELOC product, tend to have better rates. Mainly non banks that do not offer HELOC tend to have lower rate options.

Note that you can still obtain a HELOC even if you mortgage balance is above 65% LTV. The maximum HELOC you can obtain is up to 65% LTV but you can obtain a combination Mortgage & HELOC up to 80%.

Meaning that if you mortgage is at say 70% LTV now, you can obtain a HELOC for the remaining 10%. With that said, as you pay down the mortgage, the HELOC will grow, this feature is called a re-advanceable product.

If you are interested in speaking more about the product choices or pros and cons of a HELOC, please do not hesitate to PM, email or call.

Thank you for the question... have a great evening.
Mortgage Connect
www.TimLacroix.com

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or email forums@timlacroix.com

Click here to View current Mortgage Rates

Mortgage Made Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mortgage Made Easy For This Useful Post: