Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2020, 11:18 PM   #41
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gotta be honest, I don’t have much sympathy for the players right now. Even if they all took 75% pay cuts they’d still be better off than most people right now.

Athletes are absolutely some of the most expendable people in society right now. They should be the last people complaining about money.

There’s probably some economic factors I’m overlooking but it’s tough to sympathize with millionaires right now.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:38 PM   #42
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I gotta be honest, I don’t have much sympathy for the players right now. Even if they all took 75% pay cuts they’d still be better off than most people right now.

Athletes are absolutely some of the most expendable people in society right now. They should be the last people complaining about money.

There’s probably some economic factors I’m overlooking but it’s tough to sympathize with millionaires right now.
But from the players point of view most owners are billionaires so why should they or the fans have any sympathy for them?
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #43
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
But from the players point of view most owners are billionaires so why should they or the fans have any sympathy for them?
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel bad for the billionaire owners either. The only people I feel bad for is the fans.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 02:30 AM   #44
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What kind of ink takes 4 months to dry?
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume Walsh isn't an idiot but I don't understand what he thought would be gained by tweeting something like this. It's certainly not going to generate sympathy from fans and in fact probably works against the players. Not very smart or professional IMO.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #46
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Should people with money be expected to just throw it away for no good reason? should hold true no matter if you're a CP 1%er or a billionaire owner.

the league is going to lose hundreds of millions, if not several billion. I don't care how much you're worth. that's a lot of money.

I look at it this way.
I have a roommate that I split $1000 with every month, because I'm doing well. he keeps all his $500, but I use my $500 to buy all the groceries, pay ultilities and chip in for his car insurance.
If I now only have $200, why should I split it evenly with him if I'm still expected to pay all the bills?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #47
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Latest from Friedman. Players are quite upset with the NHL's proposal

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...ent-proposals/

But looks like he expects a deal to get done once tempers have cooled down

Quote:
I think we’ll get to a deal, but we’ve been knocked off course. The players and their agents need a few days to cool down, consider options and do the math. No one’s happy with what’s going on, but the alternative (not playing) is even worse.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #48
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I assume Walsh isn't an idiot but I don't understand what he thought would be gained by tweeting something like this. It's certainly not going to generate sympathy from fans and in fact probably works against the players. Not very smart or professional IMO.
Yeah, if I’m a player who just lived in a bubble away from my family to keep the league going, I’d probably be rattled about a pay deduction for yet another ####ty season. However, never in my wildest dreams would I expect any shred of public support about that idea. Keep that stuff behind closed doors and let the media talk about it. Don’t come out with it yourselves, or through representatives, like any of us really give a ####.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #49
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

A group of NHL level players have established that they would play in Europe for 5-10% of what their contract in the NHL says they should be getting paid.

What player are getting paid in Europe
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #50
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

As Friedman states in his article, summarizing the NHL's view: "CBA is a 50-50 revenue split, and COVID-related damages are more significant than what was projected even four months ago. There’s going to be a shortfall, and it must be addressed".

This all comes down to timing as they have already agreed to split revenues. The players seem to expect a better than 50/50 split in current year with it being paid back in future years. They even mention that it has never been cheaper to borrow money.

Are other businesses advancing their employees money at this time?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #51
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
As Friedman states in his article, summarizing the NHL's view: "CBA is a 50-50 revenue split, and COVID-related damages are more significant than what was projected even four months ago. There’s going to be a shortfall, and it must be addressed".

This all comes down to timing as they have already agreed to split revenues. The players seem to expect a better than 50/50 split in current year with it being paid back in future years. They even mention that it has never been cheaper to borrow money.

Are other businesses advancing their employees money at this time?
Not to my knowledge.

Honestly, I'm not surprised players are upset; with my experience with unions, any union would push back against this. However, the league needs the players as much as the players need the league. I think it will take time with strained relations, but we should get a deal.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #52
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing this all certainly guarantees is that the salary cap is not going up at any point before 2025.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah, if I’m a player who just lived in a bubble away from my family to keep the league going, I’d probably be rattled about a pay deduction for yet another ####ty season. However, never in my wildest dreams would I expect any shred of public support about that idea. Keep that stuff behind closed doors and let the media talk about it. Don’t come out with it yourselves, or through representatives, like any of us really give a ####.
Yeah this simply isn't the time for millionaires to be complaining about pay deductions as it's been the reality for the NHL's fans and season ticket holders who have either lost their jobs or had their hours reduced. It's one thing for a media leak that the players are upset but for the director of the NHLPA to air this out via twitter is in bad taste.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #54
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of flip flop on the issue. Part of me screams, just shut up and play. You get paid millions, and so a fraction of that is still a lot of money so be grateful. Tons of people are out of work.

On the other hand, the owners are billionaires, and the players ARE the product. Most billionaires net worth grew during the pandemic. Pay them their salaries if you want the league to continue playing.

Not sure what to think.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #55
Flamesm
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
One thing this all certainly guarantees is that the salary cap is not going up at any point before 2025.
For the Oilers this really sucks - as good as Mcdavid and Drai are - no two players should be worth 21 million in an 81 million cap market. I guess they will have to increase their TOI to make up for the cap hit
Flamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #56
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

My initial reaction was "players won't have much choice, as I'm sure the league will just kick start the force majeure clause(s)". So, I googled it and this Larry Brooks article came up;

https://nypost.com/2020/09/26/nhl-un...ns-over-money/

League agreed to waive force majeure for the 20/21 season and stick with the 72% pro-rated salary.

I understand why the players may be pissed now.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I kind of flip flop on the issue. Part of me screams, just shut up and play. You get paid millions, and so a fraction of that is still a lot of money so be grateful. Tons of people are out of work.

On the other hand, the owners are billionaires, and the players ARE the product. Most billionaires net worth grew during the pandemic. Pay them their salaries if you want the league to continue playing.

Not sure what to think.
It's not about billionaires. Their personal wealth has nothing to do with the businesses they own. This is about the business of the NHL that cannot make the same revenue at during these times. If Gary Bettman called up the owners individually and asked them to supplement the league with their own personal money he would get fired immediately. He and the people running the league need to make this work themselves as that's what they get paid for.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #59
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Not sure what to think.
They negotiated a CBA with a revenue split - so they could share in the goodnness.
Now they get to share in the downside.

For me it's pretty straightforward, and largely what the current players seem to be wanting to do (unless I misunderstand which is possible) is have future players pay for that loss, so they can get theirs now.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
They negotiated a CBA with a revenue split - so they could share in the goodnness.
Now they get to share in the downside.

For me it's pretty straightforward, and largely what the current players seem to be wanting to do (unless I misunderstand which is possible) is have future players pay for that loss, so they can get theirs now.
Theres a Union joke in here somewhere, but it would be too on-point. So I'm going to let it slide, just this once.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote