Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #4381
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man it is dead quiet on restarting the season. January 1 seems less likely with each passing day IMO.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #4382
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Same reason as Hoffman. Granlund's underlying numbers with Nashville were really poor so I imagine he's getting a lot in the way of short term contract offers as it's hard to tell if he's in a major decline or that the Predators were a bad fit.
I wonder if the ugliness around Hoffman's girlfriend (wife?) bullying another player's wife in Ottawa has anything to do with him not being signed.

Is he not the kind of person teams want to add to their dressing rooms?

I don't really know, but it is curious that no one has stepped up and signed him.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #4383
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Man it is dead quiet on restarting the season. January 1 seems less likely with each passing day IMO.
On the Fan yesterday it seems like best case scenario is camp starting in January with the season starting on the 15th. Bettman is hell bent on playing but there is still the issue of prorating salary based on games played which hasn’t been agreed to.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #4384
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like a bad time to be discussing starting the league in ~6 weeks considering where most places are at with the 'second wave'. Even places that were the safest during the return to play/playoffs that were deemed 'bubble-worthy' are seeing covid case number peaks like never before.

I wouldn't be surprised if things are forced out till Feb as a season start timeframe, especially if places like AB, ON start seeing more lockdown protocols getting rolled out here, and/or if the daily case numbers don't subside.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #4385
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
I wonder if the ugliness around Hoffman's girlfriend (wife?) bullying another player's wife in Ottawa has anything to do with him not being signed.

Is he not the kind of person teams want to add to their dressing rooms?

I don't really know, but it is curious that no one has stepped up and signed him.
I might be wrong but I thought it came out that there was no evidence she did anything and it was more likely Karlsson's gf/wife making it up. I apologize if thats completely inaccurate.

Regardless Hoffman put up numbers in Florida and we didn't hear any news of issues so I'd imagine the hold up is more so the term he wants.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #4386
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I might be wrong but I thought it came out that there was no evidence she did anything and it was more likely Karlsson's gf/wife making it up. I apologize if thats completely inaccurate.

Regardless Hoffman put up numbers in Florida and we didn't hear any news of issues so I'd imagine the hold up is more so the term he wants.
I think it is more that teams have run out of money from a budgeting standpoint. I would not be surprised that he signs a deal as soon as a new season is announced and there is a bit more economic certainty. Could also be waiting on some potential trades to open up space somewhere, but those talks have stalled until a season is announced.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #4387
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
On the Fan yesterday it seems like best case scenario is camp starting in January with the season starting on the 15th. Bettman is hell bent on playing but there is still the issue of prorating salary based on games played which hasn’t been agreed to.
Well if there is no season the players get nothing. I am sure this will get resolved with a reasonable solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #4388
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
It seems like a bad time to be discussing starting the league in ~6 weeks considering where most places are at with the 'second wave'. Even places that were the safest during the return to play/playoffs that were deemed 'bubble-worthy' are seeing covid case number peaks like never before.

I wouldn't be surprised if things are forced out till Feb as a season start timeframe, especially if places like AB, ON start seeing more lockdown protocols getting rolled out here, and/or if the daily case numbers don't subside.
The NBA did show that it doesn't really matter where your bubble is, as long as you do it responsibly.

Thing is, the players don't really want to go back to a true bubble. And while they might eventually relent since I'm sure they want to get paid, the cost of operating a bubble probably makes no sense for the NHL during the regular season.

If MLB can do a 60 game regular season, could the NHL do 30 games?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #4389
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I don't think there's any way that the NHL goes back to a bubble due to the costs involved. Will they start without fans? Almost definitely. But it will be a travelling schedule, likely with teams staying in cities for multiple games.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #4390
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
on a positive note, if we were to snag him it is almost certainly to play wing.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Granlund could be a pretty interesting line IMO.
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Dube
Absolutely, those are the lines that I was envisioning as well. Granlund would be best fit as a RW for the Flames.

I think the Flames downfall has been linked to 3 things:
1.) Not having a #1 goaltender
2.) Not having a solid 1-2 punch down the middle (center ice depth)
3.) Weak RW depth (We've always desired a top 6 RW and although getting Lindholm helped with that, the depth itself is still weak)

Now that we have Markstrom, getting Granlund would sure up #2 & #3 as Lindholm can shift to 2nd line C and Granlund takes Lindholm's spot on the top line as RW. LW is already set, C with Monny, Lindholm, Backs down the middle would be set, and RW with Granlund and Mangiapane, although not eye popping, would be pretty solid.

That top 9 would be scary offensively and defensively. And so many different line combinations can made with that top 9 if something isn't working/clicking. And the PP would become pretty deadly too with both units having firepower.

He's still relatively young (not on the wrong side of 30) so I wouldn't mind a mid to long-term deal either to be honest (4-5 years) especially if a bargain cap hit can be achieved, and that's something perhaps he would be interested in as well with having guaranteed money as opposed to a short-term deal especially in these unprecedented financial times. He's so skilled that this would be different from any Brouwer or Neal signing.

BRING IN GRANLUND!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AT77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 04:43 AM   #4391
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
That top 9 would be scary offensively and defensively. And so many different line combinations can made with that top 9 if something isn't working/clicking. And the PP would become pretty deadly too with both units having firepower.

!!

I think adding Granlund is certainly a positive move, but I doubt that simply adding him to the Flames top 9 from last year suddenly makes their top 9 scary offensively and defensively, with a deadly power play.

Adding Markstrom will have a much more positive effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #4392
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/ryandittrick/sta...261372417?s=21

Ward wants Bennett at centre.

If Bennett and Lindholm are at centre, I want the following lines for 2 two-way players on each line, 2 good skaters on each line and Monahan on his off wing for one timers.

Gaudreau - Backlund - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Monahan
Dube - Bennett - Leivo
Lucic - Ryan - Simon

I’ve posted that before and ppl haven’t liked it, but I think that lineup has a chance to be very balanced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #4393
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Monahan ever scored a one-timer? I honestly can't recall him ever scoring one
Old 11-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #4394
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
https://twitter.com/ryandittrick/sta...261372417?s=21

Ward wants Bennett at centre.

If Bennett and Lindholm are at centre, I want the following lines for 2 two-way players on each line, 2 good skaters on each line and Monahan on his off wing for one timers.

Gaudreau - Backlund - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Monahan
Dube - Bennett - Leivo
Lucic - Ryan - Simon

I’ve posted that before and ppl haven’t liked it, but I think that lineup has a chance to be very balanced.
If they want Lindholm and Bennett at Center, there's gotta be an odd man out. I just don't see a strong willingness of a team to take Ryan. As good as he is, he's a $3M 3rd/4th line center on most teams in this league, which just doesn't seem that appealing, especially in the current market conditions.

Is this hinting towards a Monahan (or less likely due to NTC, backlund) trade coming before the start of the year?
Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #4395
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be extremely stupid to move Monahan just so we can play Bennett at centre. And I feel like that is an understatement.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #4396
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would be extremely stupid to move Monahan just so we can play Bennett at centre. And I feel like that is an understatement.
I suppose the question is actually whether the flames can a better roster with Lindholm as your #1 C plus the package you get back in trading Monahan.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 AM   #4397
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan has played RW in his time in Carolina too - so wouldn't be surprised if he just shifts over.

I think we see a bit of a different plan next year. I have a feeling that at 5v5 the team is going to roll the 4 lines pretty equally in 12-14 minute per night range. With our top offensive players making up for it on the PP.

I could see something like this next year:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Simon
Gaudreau - Monahan - Leivo
Mangiapane - Backlund - Ryan
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Nordstrom/Gawdin

The team has made lots of mention about "Pairs" of forwards the last couple years and I think that's what we see more of this year. 4 pairs of forwards, and then the 3rd forward becomes more interchangeable, or if you need to shorten your bench in the 3rd then you can move guys like Mangiapane, Bennett, or Dube up to one of the top two lines in place of Leivo/Simon.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-19-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #4398
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I suppose the question is actually whether the flames can a better roster with Lindholm as your #1 C plus the package you get back in trading Monahan.
Fair enough, but Lindholm has not proven that he can play consistently as a #1C in the NHL. Plus he has looked pretty stellar as a winger. I would be much more comfortable if Lindholm started full time centre duties as a 1B just in case he sputters.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #4399
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. Although Monahan has had a few hand/wrist injuries right? Maybe there is some internal talk about getting him out of the dot and utilizing his offensive ability more while prolonging his career.

Disclaimer: spit balling.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:06 AM   #4400
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, but Lindholm has not proven that he can play consistently as a #1C in the NHL. Plus he has looked pretty stellar as a winger. I would be much more comfortable if Lindholm started full time centre duties as a 1B just in case he sputters.
IF we do something like this and use Monahan as trade bait for a RW that could be interesting.

Or we trade him for futures, we lose one less skilled player in the expansion draft, and have room for a free agent winger in 2021 like Hall/Saad/Landeskog
Closed Thread