Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #1261
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

BNS (Bank of Nova Scotia) looks to be getting it's act together, after an up and down summer it's finally showing me some love the last few weeks.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #1262
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

BB finally broke out! might put some money into it now. Worth a look for those looking at Canadian Companies.

They have changed their focus from phone hardware to software now.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #1263
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Air BnB goes public sometime in December (estimate is mid month). I don't know. Revenue trending down during growth even pre covid. Probably some immediate growth in the first week or so due to excitement, but valued really high.

Anyone thinking of catching them at beginning in hopes of an initial surge then sell? Waiting until the inevitable dip to jump in for the hopefully jump in airlines/hotels etc after covid vaccines start to bring back some normalcy? Staying away altogether?

Last edited by jayswin; 12-01-2020 at 03:07 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #1264
jayswin

Exp:

I think I might just wait for a likely dip in the weeks after going public and then buy some for long term. Lots of risk and some warning signs, on the other hand they were first and have the best name recognition to an industry that is likely only going to get stronger as the years go by.

Normally I'd avoid this type with some red flags and covid obviously compounds things (but also may give us a better dip to get in early), but I also feel like this could be one of those stocks sitting in the hundreds a few years from now where everyone looks back and goes "**** me it was $20/30/40 back in 20XX and I passed". Might be worth a few "throw away" hundreds right now.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-01-2020 at 03:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 02:20 AM   #1265
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

AirBnB still has potential to survive but I don't see them growing a whole lot, it's still big in europe but there is competition. Booking.com is very popular and you get private rentals and hotels on there so easier to find what you want and compare. I think though the main threat is the hotel industry lobby but it doesn't seem like they are getting the traction they need to quash airbnb.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #1266
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loving this market...some stocks I am invested in and doing well

WBA (Walgreens)
I think revenues increase soon with more foot traffic by people getting vaccine. They are on every street corner

AC (Air Canada)
Travel excitement building, this one is really moving

NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Lines)
Same as above; travel excitment

MMED (Mind Medicine)
I think great potential for growth in this sector

PLTR (Palantir Tech)
Backed by significant federal funding (US) and a solid tech play

BRAGG (Brag Gaming)
I still see a ton of upside in e-sports; they help build e-gaming online platforms

SCR (Score Media and Gaming)
I see a ton of upside here in US and Canada
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #1267
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
MMED (Mind Medicine)
I'm in MMED too. Really excited for what this stock could do if trials go well.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #1268
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

My oilsands stocks are on fire these days. Plugged a fair amount into Suncor this AM and it’s already up 6%.

Also managed to nail air Canada with a 40% return in a week.

There’s a lot of opportunity in energy and travel stocks IMO if a vaccine comes through and airlines fire back up, and global energy consumption comes back on line.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #1269
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

BRAGG up 10% today I hope someone took it after my post this morning!
Old 12-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #1270
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada and TD have single handedly paid for my entire wedding plus I've kept my initial investment in the last 3 months.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #1271
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Winners:

Financial Institutions - BNS, BMO, FIE

REITs NLY, BEI and IVR - Also have a load of calls with these that are up like 700% as this point

Energy - SU, CNQ, and MEG all are all coming back.

XPO, TFII and Fedex - Logistics which I have been peddling since the beginning of COVID are just ripping. Online shopping, lockdowns, and cheap fuel was a no brainer on this for me.

The Losers:

Short AC - While its ripping now I hope it will come back down to the $23 range so I can just settle up. I don't know if that will be the case but they certainly are going to have an interesting next couple of quarters.

Short Tesla - I have been in a short position on them for a while now and have been slowly covering. Not too exposed now.

Still Waiting:

Pipelines - ENB, IPL. Slow moving but still paying large dividends so its easy to be patient with these

Gold - I think with gold prices even around $1,800 an ounce we should be able to see some strong performance from the Canadian miners

GBTC - Bitcoin, interested to see if this rips again.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #1272
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

There's been so much volatility even an investing-chump like me has managed to do okay out of it. Made some big (percentage) gains buying stocks like SU, TCL, BPY, and NLC when they were at their nadirs. The first 3 all have really strong dividends at those valuations too, so no need to sell anytime soon.

Picking winners going forward is a bit tricky as the market seems so emotional and reactive at the moment. I can totally see the big surge from the vaccine news ebbing away as people realize that - while it's on the horizon - a return to full normal won't happen until the latter months of 2021, with lots of ongoing economic harm in the meantime.

At the moment, I'm still bullish on gold but am hoping for a bit more of a dip before the new year. CEE has been my favourite there as they've got no debt and a good dividend, but waiting for some news tomorrow re the state of their major mine. REITs also still look attractive to me, and I'd definitely buy further into BPY if it slips. Other interesting ones are REI and MRT, the latter of which could double from its present value, but not likely until sometime next year when shopping malls recover further.

Great to see others' picks. I think there's a few - particularly in entertainment/travel - that are likely to yo-yo as optimism wanes/returns over the next few months. Might be a good opportunity to engage in some repeated trades as things fluctuate.

Definitely harder to tell where things are going to go from here than it was a month ago though when so many stocks were beaten down.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #1273
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I know why I am mostly in cash right now lol.

I get stressed by both low stock prices and high stock prices.

The markets should not be at record highs with everything going on.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #1274
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
The Winners:

Financial Institutions - BNS, BMO, FIE

REITs NLY, BEI and IVR - Also have a load of calls with these that are up like 700% as this point

Energy - SU, CNQ, and MEG all are all coming back.

XPO, TFII and Fedex - Logistics which I have been peddling since the beginning of COVID are just ripping. Online shopping, lockdowns, and cheap fuel was a no brainer on this for me.

The Losers:

Short AC - While its ripping now I hope it will come back down to the $23 range so I can just settle up. I don't know if that will be the case but they certainly are going to have an interesting next couple of quarters.

Short Tesla - I have been in a short position on them for a while now and have been slowly covering. Not too exposed now.

Still Waiting:

Pipelines - ENB, IPL. Slow moving but still paying large dividends so its easy to be patient with these

Gold - I think with gold prices even around $1,800 an ounce we should be able to see some strong performance from the Canadian miners

GBTC - Bitcoin, interested to see if this rips again.
The Tesla one is interesting. Once they're added to the S&P 500 at the end of the month where is new money to the name coming from to keep it going up? Its unlikely operating profits will be the source.

I think the only chance at this point to grow into their valuation is issuing shares at their current very high valuation for accretive acquisitions. If they could buy a few big firms for stock and start getting some roll up benefits going that might keep the momentum.

The big short sellers (ie chanos recently) are throwing in the towel, so that source of demand for shares is also going to decline.

I bought a few very out of the money puts today, first TSLA short for me. A bit of play money is all.

Last edited by bizaro86; 12-08-2020 at 07:51 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #1275
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The Tesla one is interesting. Once they're added to the S&P 500 at the end of the month where is new money to the name coming from to keep it going up? Its unlikely operating profits will be the source.

I think the only chance at this point to grow into their valuation is issuing shares at their current very high valuation for accretive acquisitions. If they could buy a few big firms for stock and start getting some roll up benefits going that might keep the momentum.

The big short sellers (ie chaos recently) are throwing in the towel, so that source of demand for shares is also going to decline.

I bought a few very out of the money puts today, first TSLA short for me. A bit of play money is all.
The equity raise is an interesting move. In theory at their valuation they could generate a lot of capital to make a bunch of big name acquisitions.

The addition to the S&P is really a positive feedback loop for them as all of these huge etf’s had no choice but to add them and it will just keep propping up the price up to December 21. After I expect a decline where I will cover the rest of my short and realize a decent sized loss.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #1276
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loving this market...some stocks I am invested in and doing well

WBA (Walgreens)
I think revenues increase soon with more foot traffic by people getting vaccine. They are on every street corner

AC (Air Canada)
Travel excitement building, this one is really moving

NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Lines)
Same as above; travel excitment

MMED (Mind Medicine)

PLTR (Palantir Tech)
Backed by significant federal funding (US) and a solid tech play

BRAGG (Brag Gaming)
I still see a ton of upside in e-sports; they help build e-gaming online platforms

SCR (Score Media and Gaming)
I see a ton of upside here in US and Canada
MMED and PLTR both up 13% today...crazy market!
The Following User Says Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #1277
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My portfolio is basically like that, except opposite.

-86.92% since May for IMCX

I figured people will flock to gold companies during the pandemic. I just picked the wrong one.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #1278
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Torc is my big winner. Up 75%.

Chemtrade is my dog. Was underwater most of the year and doubled down in September. Nice dividend for the time being but will probably get cut soon. Can't lose money forever and still pay out 10%.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #1279
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:

I was an early adopter of MMED, and while this is great I have huge hopes of this $1.80 (when I bought my first shares) stock being something big in the coming years.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #1280
jayswin

Exp:

Also have had lightspeed for awhile, another winner. Actually I've picked all winners since January, and although I do countless hours of thorough research on companies and feel I have a huge knack for stocks as a newbie (took a course as well to better understand the industry), I have to assume I'll have some losers on my hands at some point.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-07-2020 at 03:09 PM.