Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #1101
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very much looking forward to better upload speeds. It's been a loooong time coming.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #1102
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can anyone help me out here. I am running shaw blue curve in bridge mode with two routers after for 2 separate networks. My first network works fine with regular 300 speeds. I got shaw to give me a third IP address which works however my speeds are only 25 mbs. is there a way to increase this bandwidth or does shaw throttle the third IP? or am I hitting a bottle neck somewhere. Shaw doesn't provide support for third party routers
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #1103
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Can anyone help me out here. I am running shaw blue curve in bridge mode with two routers after for 2 separate networks. My first network works fine with regular 300 speeds. I got shaw to give me a third IP address which works however my speeds are only 25 mbs. is there a way to increase this bandwidth or does shaw throttle the third IP? or am I hitting a bottle neck somewhere. Shaw doesn't provide support for third party routers
Bypass the router and hook a PC up directly to the modem with that static IP. If it's still slow, it's Shaw's fault. If it's full speed, get a new router
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #1104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could just be a bad cable on the slow router, too. Does the router report the speed it's connected at?(100/1000?)
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:54 AM   #1105
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys I will check it out. The lights on the router lan port indicated gigabyte connection is being made and the web interface is saying the same thing. I am not sure why I didn't even think to plug into the router and modem directly to check speeds I will do that as well.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #1106
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you still need to go to a kiosk to get Shaw mobile, or can you order a sim online?
Old 12-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #1107
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you still need to go to a kiosk to get Shaw mobile, or can you order a sim online?
I dunno if you can do it just through the website, but I’ve confirmed that if you phone or chat with sales/support, they will send you a sim in the mail. Then you call to activate and get your number ported, no visit to kiosk needed.

Beware though, I think the network still has some kinks to work out. Yesterday two family members on Shaw lost their ability to group text during the morning. Maybe a network load issue but certainly bad timing to not be able to message multiple people at once.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #1108
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, thanks. I'm not much of a mobile user, I currently just have a 7/11 sim that I put $30 on for a year. So figured may as well switch to something free. I just checked the website and it says you have to go in, but I'll try the chat, as I don't want to be in a mall.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #1109
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

For anyone that has switched to Shaw Mobile - whats the coverage like in Calgary and surrounding area? Interested in the $0/m plan but not sure if the network coverage is decent
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #1110
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw called me a few days ago and offered me $90 a month for internet 600 for 24 months as a boxing day promotion (not the fibre+ upload speeds though, but that's fine). My previous value deal was expiring February.

I thought $90 a month for a little more speed seemed like a reasonable deal and I accepted. Several previous retention attempts only offered to me of $95 per month on internet 300 (not fibre+).

I currently pay $82/month for 300. $90/month for 600 seemed solid to me.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #1111
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone else get an odd Shaw internet/TV bill lately? My December bill basically shows a refund of all my service up until February giving me a huge credit and a note that I have been switched to their new billing system. Checked on their website and couldn't find any info.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #1112
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My bill went up slightly even though a channel or two had been removed.

HBO/Crave went up a few bucks .

I thought all my pricing was locked in for two years. Turns out it was only TV and internet.

HBO / Crave was an add on...

Still...my gears are ground...
Old 01-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #1113
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Anyone else get an odd Shaw internet/TV bill lately? My December bill basically shows a refund of all my service up until February giving me a huge credit and a note that I have been switched to their new billing system. Checked on their website and couldn't find any info.
It happened to me in the summer but reverse. They basically charged me nothing for like 3 months, then I got 4 bills in one month once I was on the new billing system.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #1114
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
For anyone that has switched to Shaw Mobile - whats the coverage like in Calgary and surrounding area? Interested in the $0/m plan but not sure if the network coverage is decent
Its good in Calgary but if you are on the zero dollar plan it doesn't really matter your coverage will be good anywhere since it will just switch to a partner network.

$10 per gig if you use data (rolls over for 3 months)

Signed up my kids at Christmas...going to port myself over soon too

$0 for talk and text is pretty awesome
Old 01-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #1115
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Shaw customer service is terrible
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #1116
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Shaw customer service is terrible
Is it still the India call centre that pretends to be in Vancouver/Burnaby?

"Hi, this is Raj at the Shaw Customer service Vancouver office. It's raining right now, I hope your weather is better than mine. How can I help you?"

The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #1117
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is it still the India call centre that pretends to be in Vancouver/Burnaby?

"Hi, this is Raj at the Shaw Customer service Vancouver office. It's raining right now, I hope your weather is better than mine. How can I help you?"

Seems legit.

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

RedMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #1118
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a guy from PEI with a lot of consonants in his name the last time I talked to shaw.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:39 PM   #1119
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My data usage at home has really skyrocketed recently. I never really paid attention as I don't usually check our bill because it is set up as an auto payment but I checked the other day to make sure our rates were still the same. Last month we used a TB of data. The last time I checked we were only around 300-400 GB. Between work from home, my kid's new Xbox, my kid's constantly video chatting with friends, etc our usage has really increased a lot.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #1120
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I updated my Shaw TV and Internet package last... February? I went to Internet 300. There was some issues with the install and the Shaw rep gave me two free movie rentals. That was nice. I really wasn't complaining, I just wanted to get internet working, so getting two free movie rentals made me happy. He told me I just rent a movie and I won't get charged for it. Expiration? Nope! Sweet! That was a lie. It must have been a 30 day limit on that because at least a little over a month later as we were in lockdown I rented a couple of movies and they were charged to my account. I called but they had no proof of me ever having free rentals, but thanks for choosing Shaw!

Anyway. One week before lockdown I had an issue with my Internet modem. I can't remember what it was, but I was able to run to the Shaw store here in Lethbridge and swap it for a new one. There was, once again, an issue with the modem activating. Tech support got me through that and they upgraded me to Internet 600 for the same price I was paying for 300. I don't think they actually did that though. My speeds don't indicate that I'm on 600, nor 300 for that matter. I tell them a speed test maxes out at 150 and they said, well you don't need to have a speed of 300 or 600 so it won't go that high, but when you have several devices on your network all using Internet at the same time you won't have any latency or network slowness. The latter part is true but a speed test should still hit the high limit you have or come very close. They didn't seem to want to look into the issue to ensure that what was configured matched what I'm supposed to get. I gave up and resolved to switch to Telus when it's time to renew.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote