Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #7141
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Nobody is loving this. People are pissed.
Flash has a decade of posts demonstrating he loathes Alberta and Albertans. You’ll note he only started posting here again a week or two ago after a long break.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #7142
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Flash has a decade of posts demonstrating he loathes Alberta and Albertans. You’ll note he only started posting here a week or two ago after a long break.
Well, my mistake then.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #7143
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Public businesses have not been implicated in any substantial way to the cases we are seeing. The fact that a few “world wide” have is irrelevant. The data was clear that indoor social gatherings are the largest source of spread and that is what the government attacked. In any case, I was responding to a hysterical poster who is one of many making hyperbolic claims that the government is doing nothing. You can argue that all businesses should be closed but her restrictions we have right now are hardly nothing. They are unprecedented.
I have less a problem with the businesses at a lower capacity than I do with indoor gatherings.

My problem with this simplistic statement is that if indoor gatherings are a huge problem, then there's no way that schools aren't a huge problem. I get that schools are a difficult thing to change, but maybe if the government was honest about this, parents that are able to would keep their kids home, and we'd have smaller class sizes.

Instead we keep hearing that schools aren't an issue. I don't buy it. Maybe if you're talking about young kids, but there's no way a room filled with 15 year olds aren't spreading it, and bringing it home, etc.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #7144
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flash has a decade of posts demonstrating he loathes Alberta and Albertans. You’ll note he only started posting here again a week or two ago after a long break.
I don't really think this is true. He's pretty outspoken about our ridiculous political situation but he doesn't come here just to dunk on the rubes.

He's not wrong about the current libertarian bent of the provincial government causing the situation to spiral to a dangerous place.

Being the second worst province from a covid perspective isn't exactly something to hang our hats on. Yeah we aren't nearly as bad as Quebec in the dark days of March/April, but we sure as heck should have known better 8-9 months later.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #7145
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The data really isn't clear on that, because when we gave up contact tracing, 80% was unknown. It easily could have been spreading in restaurants and businesses, we just don't know about it because those types of situations are harder to trace than care homes.
The reason why contact tracing died is because over 7 days a person could: go to the restaurant 5 times, go to the mall 4 times, meet with family 5 times, meet with a friend twice, go to a party, get together for coffee with 4 others, go to a kids hockey game, attend a wedding, kids go to school, kid has a play date...

Suddenly COVID! And of course, can't trace it because somewhere down the line someone has mild symptoms and didn't say anything.

What we do know is that plenty of business are low risk or have no traceable cases of transmission such as barber and hair salons, due to heavy restrictions. Personal services in large part have not been the source, but have been some of the heaviest hit.

In the meantime people pretend to have extended 'bubbles', these people also have extended 'bubbles', some of those have parties, and the whole bubble bursts, but we attribute it to untraceable because the people were in a 'bubble'

That's what happens when everything is open, selfishness trumps all and individual responsibility goes out the window.

I posted back in June how there's several situations that could have been superspreader events that weren't simply due to how little covid active cases existed in the province at the time. Now these events and gatherings do have COVID at them, and are spreaders.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #7146
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Based on my BoLevi sponsored research the answer is Poutine.

I cross referenced a map of Canada, and of Quebec specifically, to the prevalence of poutine being listed as a favourite food or poutine specific eateries or the instances of poutine appearing on restaurant menus.

The results are quite shocking TBH. My initial results suggest poutine eaters are far more likely to contract and spread COVID.

NDP voters who eat poutine are basically single person Super Spreaders. Or SS for short. Which seems fitting because they are a bunch of Nazis who want to control my life.
I love poutine! So now I'm not sure whether I'm more concerned that I could get Covid (as your research suggests) or concerned with trying to think of a way to have this for dinner tonight, risks be damned!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #7147
BoLevi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't really think this is true. He's pretty outspoken about our ridiculous political situation but he doesn't come here just to dunk on the rubes.

He's not wrong about the current libertarian bent of the provincial government causing the situation to spiral to a dangerous place.

Being the second worst province from a covid perspective isn't exactly something to hang our hats on. Yeah we aren't nearly as bad as Quebec in the dark days of March/April, but we sure as heck should have known better 8-9 months later.
You're saying a government's failure of policy is an indictment of libertarianism? That's a self-contradicting argument.

Absent a vaccine, the way out of a pandemic is individuals behaving responsibly. It's the accumulated actions of each individual in society which is responsible for a decrease or increase in the spread.

If anything, this pandemic has illustrated the limitations of government, not the other way around.

Last edited by BoLevi; 12-03-2020 at 03:47 PM.
BoLevi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #7148
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
You're saying a government's failure of policy is an indictment of libertarianism? That's a self-contradicting argument.

Absent a vaccine, the way out of a pandemic is individuals behaving responsibly. It's the accumulated actions of each individual in society which is responsible for a decrease or increase in the spread.

If anything, this pandemic has illustrated the limitations of government, not the other way around.
But government provides leadership and guidance as to how individuals should behave.

I was really surprised this week when this was the first time since the onset that people in Calgary had been told not to go into other peoples homes. We’ve been told that since day 1 in Ontario, and it never ceased. They had an allowance for “social bubbles of 10”, so you could hug/have dinner with extended family for example. But even that was lifted 2 months ago. How can the guidance be so dramatically different in another province?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #7149
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
We aren't even as bad as Quebec now, nor as bad as Manitoba. Despite the concerning amount of cases, deaths haven't spiked in the same way it has in Manitoba.

And Alberta getting a powerful second wave after a mild first wave is not unique, plenty of jurisdictions that appeared to have done a good job in the spring and summer have now been hit with the second wave as pandemic fatigue and the end of warm weather sets in.

accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #7150
Nsd1
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1334605480249991169
Nsd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #7151
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
You’re loving this, aren’t you?

What’s the ideological basis for Quebec suffering the worst pandemic in Canada, and among the worst in the developed world?
Quebec's long-term care facilities were horrible, under-funded places long before COVID, and were just perfect for the spread of the virus and lots of deaths. They're also great at keeping the virus going elsewhere in the province.

Didn't have anything to do with virus-response though.
AltaGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #7152
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
Well ####. That’s 25 million fewer people immunized by year end.

You have to expect challenges in a rollout this immense. The world really needs to begin seeing people being immunized.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote