Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #2461
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
If you have the old charger you probably have the old cable which will work with the new phones. It's probably a small percentage of buyers who will need to spend more money to charge the thing.

It is a bull#### excuse to remove it but it will have a positive effect.
A reviewer I saw said according to his test it takes 6 hours to charge the iPhone 12 with the 5w charger that Apple was shipping with iPhones prior to the iPhone 11.

I think most people will end up buying a new charger unless they have the iPhone 11 charger.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-25-2020 at 08:00 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #2462
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Step 1: Buy this charger: https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-AUKEY-...dp/B07WPS5NZR/

Step 2: Buy this cable: https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Lightnin.../dp/B07JHTZZGP

Costs the same as the Apple one cumulatively, but at double the length of the charge cable (and WAY more durable), plus you get an additional 2.4A USB-A 3.0 port.

I've had it since picking up my iPhone 8 in 2018 and it has been stellar. Now using it with my 11 Pro, and the factory Apple charger is still sitting in the box.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #2463
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Step 1: Buy this charger: https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-AUKEY-...dp/B07WPS5NZR/

Step 2: Buy this cable: https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Lightnin.../dp/B07JHTZZGP

Costs the same as the Apple one cumulatively, but at double the length of the charge cable (and WAY more durable), plus you get an additional 2.4A USB-A 3.0 port.

I've had it since picking up my iPhone 8 in 2018 and it has been stellar. Now using it with my 11 Pro, and the factory Apple charger is still sitting in the box.
+1. I have the same charger and it works great.

I have the official Apple cord though and I'm waiting for it to split any day now and then I'll buy that Anker.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #2464
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s the best deal for an iPhone right now? An 11? I need a new phone but don’t really want to shell out for the top of the line 12
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #2465
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

FYI iPhone 12 is completely repair proof. You cannot replace any component of the phone, without going to an apple dealer or apple authorized repair shop, or your phone will never work properly again.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #2466
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The new Mac Mini with Apple's M1 processor looks intriguing.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #2467
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah looks interesting for sure!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...arting-at-699/

EDIT: Wait, 16GB RAM max on the mini AND the new Macbook Pro?

That's fine for home use but that's pretty disappointing for a supposed Pro model.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #2468
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished updating to Big Sur!

Really liking it so far.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #2469
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Apple has hit the mark on M1 CPU wise and battery wise. Benchmarks are really strong compared to the Intel Macs even when emulating x86 software. Apple Silicon GPU's are meh compare to what is out there though.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/mac-m...ey-crush-intel

The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #2470
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got an M1 MacBook Air this morning and wow, this thing is amazing-- I have pushed it hard and it barely gets warm... wasn't sure if I should have gone with the pro or air, but I think I'm going to be more than happy with the Air.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yellefan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #2471
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellefan View Post
Got an M1 MacBook Air this morning and wow, this thing is amazing-- I have pushed it hard and it barely gets warm... wasn't sure if I should have gone with the pro or air, but I think I'm going to be more than happy with the Air.
Same. Did you go 8GB ram or 16?

The 16 was quite the backorder so I went 8.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #2472
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Same. Did you go 8GB ram or 16?

The 16 was quite the backorder so I went 8.
8 and I have no regrets-- I'm not sure how they do it, but what I'm doing would definitely require more ram on my old intel machine, yet it seems I don't need it with this machine. It's crazy, not sure how they do it...
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #2473
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellefan View Post
8 and I have no regrets-- I'm not sure how they do it, but what I'm doing would definitely require more ram on my old intel machine, yet it seems I don't need it with this machine. It's crazy, not sure how they do it...
It's the advantage of hardware optimized for software (and vice versa) rather than generic software running on generic hardware. They can optimize the processor to be good at the things their code needs it to do.

But it means the performance is specific to the way Apple writes their software. If you were to run Windows or Android on your Macbook's M1 it wouldn't be any faster because Google and Microsoft have different software development philosophies that the chip isn't optimized for.

Quote:
fun fact: retaining and releasing an NSObject takes ~30 nanoseconds on current gen Intel, and ~6.5 nanoseconds on an M1.

…and ~14 nanoseconds on an M1 emulating an Intel
The (geeky) benchmarks above are from an Apple engineer on Twitter and are really quite telling if you know a little bit about how Apple builds software (link). Retaining and releasing an NSObject is core to Apple's philosophy of writing code, so your computer is doing it just about all the time. The new M1's are built to do this specific task quickly and efficiently. That they can emulate an Intel chip and then still do this task faster than the Intel chip itself is insane and goes a long way to explain the performance improvements. When you can do these core tasks so well, you free working memory for other purposes, the battery lasts longer, and everything feels snappier.

These chips are a really exciting development for Apple desktop users (their mobile processors have been running circles around the competition for a long time now) and I can't wait to get my hands on one in the higher spec'd machines when they are eventually released.

Last edited by Flames0910; 11-19-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #2474
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to buy my wife an apple watch for Xmas. Looking at se (cellular + gps) model.

I have little fashion sense, specifically when buying for my wife. Can anyone/women around here suggest what strap type and colour would be appreciated by a fashion savvy (always looking to be wearing the modern trends) in her 30s??
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #2475
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Can somebody recommend a simple MP3 player for the iPhone? I just want to drag and drop my MP3s over. I'm tired of dealing with iTunes, especially with it recently deciding that it should just delete all my songs off my phone.

Carplay would be a bonus, but not necessary.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #2476
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Can somebody recommend a simple MP3 player for the iPhone? I just want to drag and drop my MP3s over. I'm tired of dealing with iTunes, especially with it recently deciding that it should just delete all my songs off my phone.

Carplay would be a bonus, but not necessary.
Vox. https://vox.rocks/iphone-music-player
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #2477
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I tried that one. It wouldn't let me drag and drop music. I copied a bunch of songs over but they never showed up.

I'm going to give VLC a try. I use a different media player for movies, so I can probably just use that for songs.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #2478
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know if the new M1 Macbook Air is in stock at the Apple store yet? I know I can order online, but I have over $1,000 worth of Chinook gift cards I want to use...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #2479
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Looking to buy my wife an apple watch for Xmas. Looking at se (cellular + gps) model.

I have little fashion sense, specifically when buying for my wife. Can anyone/women around here suggest what strap type and colour would be appreciated by a fashion savvy (always looking to be wearing the modern trends) in her 30s??
My wife loves her rose gold colored one. She's been through a few straps but I think the original strap was rose/blue. The other colors are gold, sliver, grey, etc which are pretty generic although I think they have red ones now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #2480
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I tried that one. It wouldn't let me drag and drop music. I copied a bunch of songs over but they never showed up.
Have you considered just using a USB stick for your car instead of your phone? Drag and drop obviously isn't an issue with a USB stick and most cars can read the folders on it with no issues.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote