Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default Actor Formerly Known as Ellen Page, Now Elliot Page

Quote:
“I love that I am trans. And I love that I am queer. And the more I hold myself close and fully embrace who I am, the more I dream, the more my heart grows and the more I thrive. To all the trans people who deal with harassment, self-loathing, abuse, and the threat of violence every day: I see you, I love you, and I will do everything I can to change this world for the better,” Page continued.

Page uses both he/him and they/them pronouns, and describes himself as transgender and non-binary, meaning that his gender identity is neither man nor woman.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/e...my-1234843023/

They’ve always been a great actor, from Hard Candy to Juno to X-Men to Inception. Elliot will continue to star in Umbrella Academy. Definitely a celebrity who seems genuine and stands up for LGBTQ rights.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

And it all started with the Trailer Park Boys.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/e...my-1234843023/

They’ve always been a great actor, from Hard Candy to Juno to X-Men to Inception. Elliot will continue to star in Umbrella Academy. Definitely a celebrity who seems genuine and stands up for LGBTQ rights.
Hard Candy is amazing. Holy crap did he kill it in that movie.

One of my favourite actors!

Hope they are in a place they can be happy and fulfilled with their life!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's cool, I support it. Just will take a bit to register in my mind knowing his/their past work & roles.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever he wants. It doesnt affect me in the least.

I'd only ask for a little forgiveness if we dont get the nomenclature correct right away.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whatever he wants. It doesnt affect me in the least.

I'd only ask for a little forgiveness if we dont get the nomenclature correct right away.
I'm sure he would forgive you if the mistake was honest, sadly many #######s will deliberately struggle to accept his wishes.

I guess the best part about this is the world has at least 1 person that is happier with themselves and that can be contagious, in a good way.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'm sure he would forgive you if the mistake was honest, sadly many #######s will deliberately struggle to accept his wishes.

I guess the best part about this is the world has at least 1 person that is happier with themselves and that can be contagious, in a good way.
Meh....Ellen Page is now Elliot Page. Sure. Fine.

P.Diddy changed his name a half dozen times and I have no idea to this day what he wants to be called or what his name is. Oddly enough, in the case of P. Diddy...nor do I care.

If he wants to be Elliot Page? Fill your boots. It bothers me not at all.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It is worth noting even using his deadname is considered highly offensive and transphobic by some people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is worth noting even using his deadname is considered highly offensive and transphobic by some people.
What does that even mean?

Old 12-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

His former name. Even if used innocuously, many people consider it a form of microagression and is a trigger to past trauma.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
His former name. Even if used innocuously, many people consider it a form of microagression and is a trigger to past trauma.
This is where people need to calm down and try have some empathy.

There are two scenarios here:

A) People who call him by his former name to be dicks

B) People who genuinely slip up because they have a neural pathway that leads to "Ellen Page" that has spent many years baking.

Don't blindly lump the "B" people in with the "A" people.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
This is where people need to calm down and try have some empathy.

There are two scenarios here:

A) People who call him by his former name to be dicks

B) People who genuinely slip up because they have a neural pathway that leads to "Ellen Page" that has spent many years baking.

Don't blindly lump the "B" people in with the "A" people.
I used his deadname in my thread title as a way to most efficiently pass along the info but had not considered the deadname angle when I did so. Oversight on my part.

IMO it is cool that he changed these things. I also think it is terrible anyone has a life of pain and suffering because they have the courage to announce their gender identity to the world.

I do find the idea of anyone the world over ever using his deadname again being offensive to be a little extreme.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I used his deadname in my thread title as a way to most efficiently pass along the info but had not considered the deadname angle when I did so. Oversight on my part.

IMO it is cool that he changed these things. I also think it is terrible anyone has a life of pain and suffering because they have the courage to announce their gender identity to the world.

I do find the idea of anyone the world over ever using his deadname again being offensive to be a little extreme.
I prefer your title to the headlines that just said, "Elliot Page announces he is trans". My first response was, "who?" instead of "Oh, cool" because I had no idea who the headline was referring to. A simple click cleared things up but I don't see why stating the deadname is verboten in an announcement like that.

I'm also confused by the preferred pronouns of "he/they". Am I supposed to say I'm happy for they? Or is it more like he/him and they/them are both acceptable? Edit: I just read the article and it's the latter.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I prefer your title to the headlines that just said, "Elliot Page announces he is trans". My first response was, "who?" instead of "Oh, cool" because I had no idea who the headline was referring to. A simple click cleared things up but I don't see why stating the deadname is verboten in an announcement like that.

I'm also confused by the preferred pronouns of "he/they". Am I supposed to say I'm happy for they? Or is it more like he/him and they/them are both acceptable? Edit: I just read the article and it's the latter.
I get confused about the difference between "gay" (orientation) and "trans" (gender). I think Elliot identified before as gay - does that change now if your gender identity is different?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #15
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I get confused about the difference between "gay" (orientation) and "trans" (gender). I think Elliot identified before as gay - does that change now if your gender identity is different?
I would imagine so as he now identifies as a trans male, so he would no longer be homosexual since he prefers females.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #16
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
From what I understand, orientation and gender are two different things, so there are different possible permutations. It seems awkward to have to either ask or have someone simply state the situation, but I guess that's no different from not knowing if someone is gay unless they want you to know. In terms of getting things right in terms of language, it seems like gender is the one to make sure to get right (as best as you can).

Personally it would be beneficial for someone coming out as trans to be a chill person, as others adjust.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #17
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I would imagine so as he now identifies as a trans male, so he would no longer be homosexual since he prefers females.
That sounds right. Interesting that he would have to go through 'coming out' and everything that entails, and then as a trans male no longer be out. I would listen to Elliot's TED talk.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #18
BlackRedGold25
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Those people are members of the intolerant left. I value their opinions as much as the religious right when they were telling people that rock music was the work of Satan.
BlackRedGold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #19
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold25 View Post
Those people are members of the intolerant left. I value their opinions as much as the religious right when they were telling people that rock music was the work of Satan.

Well Nickleback’s was.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Should of went with Allan
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote