Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-27-2020, 08:10 PM   #21
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
A GM will cut off an arm to match if need be to show they aren’t vulnerable to future offer sheets. And the offering GM just created a new comp he has to bid against the next time he signs one of his own players. Could be collusion too but this alone is enough to dampen offers for RFAs in my view.
Which made the one the habs did for aho last summer so weird

It was a fair deal that everyone expected the canes to match, so they had no chance at the player, and they made an enemy, which maybe comes back at them with someone like Suzuki

So I think the reason why teams are more hesitant is making an enemy, and also it having to be an overpay

The tampa situation you would think leaves them ripe, but it's a good team, tampa would find a way to match imo, and florida has no state tax so how much can you really overbid them in real money?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #22
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fully believe in not wanting to make enemies. Not just with trade partners but potential employers in the future. Gms don’t have the longest shelf life.

Barzal, Dubios, Cirelli are in the top 10 under 25 for centers.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:40 AM   #23
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking at Cirelli stats on hockeydb ... It is amazing how Tampa has built NHL powerhouse mainly through excellent drafting in later rounds.

Cirelli #72 overall pick
Point #79
Palat #208
Killorn #77
Paquette #101
Kucherov #58

Credit where credit is due.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #24
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Add guys like Tyler Johnson and Yanni Gourde, two undrafted signings.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Which made the one the habs did for aho last summer so weird

It was a fair deal that everyone expected the canes to match, so they had no chance at the player, and they made an enemy, which maybe comes back at them with someone like Suzuki

So I think the reason why teams are more hesitant is making an enemy, and also it having to be an overpay...
Do you think Montreal actually "made an enemy" of Carolina with tbat offer sheet? I always saw that situation playing out a little differently. Aho signed that deal knowing full well that it was an offer that Carolina would not hesitate to match. I thought it was a way for him to avoid a long and inconvenient negotiation to get what he wanted. Carolina was perhaps inconvenienced by the offer sheet, but certainly not so much to have been frustrated by what happened. They got their player locked in at market value; maybe they paid a little more than what they anticipated, but this was just about one of tbe easiest deals for any team to accommodate.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #26
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but it really hurt Carolina with the contract just going straight to free agency.

Funny enough, with how good Treliving is usually with signing RFAs, I think Tkachuk that year was pretty much one of the worst contracts with the expectations I had compared to the Point contract and the other RFAs that year.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #27
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Do you think Montreal actually "made an enemy" of Carolina with tbat offer sheet? I always saw that situation playing out a little differently. Aho signed that deal knowing full well that it was an offer that Carolina would not hesitate to match. I thought it was a way for him to avoid a long and inconvenient negotiation to get what he wanted. Carolina was perhaps inconvenienced by the offer sheet, but certainly not so much to have been frustrated by what happened. They got their player locked in at market value; maybe they paid a little more than what they anticipated, but this was just about one of tbe easiest deals for any team to accommodate.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
That explains Ahos side, but why did montreal do it?

And even with it being matched I do think the canes will hold a grudge
Old 11-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #28
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is why the whole process is dumb, and the only way we are going to move away from it being ween as such a risky move is if we suddenly get s lot of them in a short period

Maybe the formula for compensation needs changing
Old 11-29-2020, 01:33 AM   #29
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I think more than making an enemy, teams don't do it because it's simply not worth it. You have to overpay to prevent the other team from matching and if you're offering a big contract, you're in one of those big compensation brackets, 3 or 4 draft picks.

The player you're getting better be really good and put you over the top, and also fit into your existing salary structure, cause otherwise, you'll be paying the price for years.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah, I think more than making an enemy, teams don't do it because it's simply not worth it. You have to overpay to prevent the other team from matching and if you're offering a big contract, you're in one of those big compensation brackets, 3 or 4 draft picks.

The player you're getting better be really good and put you over the top, and also fit into your existing salary structure, cause otherwise, you'll be paying the price for years.
Which is perfect. It’s designed as protection for the drafting team, and it’s proving to succeed in that department.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #31
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
Looking at Cirelli stats on hockeydb ... It is amazing how Tampa has built NHL powerhouse mainly through excellent drafting in later rounds.

Cirelli #72 overall pick
Point #79
Palat #208
Killorn #77
Paquette #101
Kucherov #58

Credit where credit is due.
It's not just drafting. A huge part of it is development.
People always forget about development!
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote