Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #721
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw this on Wikipedia about him...
Quote:
If I could, like, miraculously teleport a house from place to place, I'd prefer to live in a nice comfortable house. Though, honestly, the van is kind of nice. I like having everything within arm's reach. When I stay in a hotel room—like, sometimes you get put up in a really classy hotel room, and it's really big, and you have to walk quite a ways to the bathroom, and you're like, 'Man, I wish I had my [pee] bottle.' Who wants to walk all the ways to the bathroom in the middle of the night when you could just lean over and grab your bottle and go?"
For a guy who gets so much exercise, he sure is lazy!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #722
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #723
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Watched a documentary on Netflix called "The Dawn Wall" and found it to be quite incredible. I'd for sure recommend it.

I was talking to a friend about it and he recommended "Free Solo" which seriously scared the living #### out of me. I'm not a big fan of heights, so watching this lunatic free climb (no ropes) El Capitain ranks right up there with one of the most insane, dumb, exhilarating things I have EVER seen.

And how it was made:

Free Solo isn't on Netflix but it's on Shaw on Demand for free.
If you liked these I suggest checking out Meru. Also a great doc.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #724
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did anyone go and check out Midsommar? Thoughts?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #725
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I was rather unimpressed by Dragged Across Concrete. Tonally similar to the director’s other two films but it felt like you were supposed to be agreeing with the racist garbage views and old timey thinking of the main protagonists. Definitely the worst of his three films by a long shot. A decent final third doesn’t make up for the previous 2+ hours of feeling like you’ve been dragged across concrete.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #726
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I loved it, just an absolutely beautifully made film. It definitely won’t be for everyone, but if you like Ari Aster’s other work you won’t be disappointed.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #727
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Saw Alita: Battle Angel recently, and it was a lot better than I was expecting. Alita herself was great, the fight scenes were awesome, and I really got into the whole universe they setup (ya I know it's from a manga). Only two negatives I have is the generic boyfriend is terrible, and it really sucks ending the movie basically saying "To Be Continued" with no actual sequel greenlit. Hopefully they do get it made, because I want to see more of that world

I just caught that on the plane - the other movies didn’t strike me as interesting so thought I would give it a go. I was also really surprised by how good it was and the world that they created. I did also wish they concluded the movie, since you know most of the good actors will probably move onto other things.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #728
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I went with a friend, we both enjoyed it. It's not that scary, nor does it try to be, more just creepy and weird and interesting. It's a really slow boil, there's not much of a plot and what there is is very obvious from the start. By the end it almost strays into horror comedy territory. I liked it because it was different and had some interesting ideas for a cult, plus I had a pretty good laugh at a couple of points. Not a masterpiece, but I could see this becoming a cult classic.

Some of my friends have hated it, calling it pretentious and boring. The main couple aren't great as actors, although the guy does do a great "I'm so stoned and confused" -face, which is relevant to this film.

If you like the original Wicker Man you'll probably enjoy this.

Definitely worth watching if you like seeing films that are not like every other film, but don't go in expecting to be scared out of your seat.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #729
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not "new", but I noticed the Robin Hood re-reboot was available on Prime, so my wife and I watched it.
I would recommend not seeing it. Ooof.
It looked similar to Guy Ritchie's King Arthur, which was dumb but fun, but it was not.
There was literally nothing likable about it. Everything was awful, which is a shame, because I like Taron Egerton, Ben Mendelsohn and Jamie Fox.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #730
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### if you haven't watched the 4K remaster of Terminator 2 on Netflix yet, do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #731
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is it the extended version? There is a 4K Blu-ray but the theatrical cut and it looks terrible.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #732
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched Rampage on Netflix.

Why isn't this the most popular one out of all the recent movies about big monsters fighting each other and/or destroying cities? Because I've seen a whole bunch of these (Godzillas, Pacific Rims, Kong...) and this is honestly the first one that I felt really delivered on what I wanted. Because it was actually fun. The actors were there to entertain and not impress, the characters are simple enough, everything is cheesy in the right way, nothing is dragged down by convoluted and boring world building and I felt really satisfied by the actual monster rampage part

Would definitely recommend. It's dumb, but it's the fun kind of dumb.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #733
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Toy Story 4 was okay, until the ending, which I felt totally betrayed Woody's character. But otherwise, whatever. It should have ended with the third one, which was substantially better. Also, it seems to be underperforming compared to the third one at the box office, which hopefully means they won't try a fifth one.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #734
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to make a Dystopian Toy Story.

Toy Story 5: Chernobyl

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #735
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They need to make a Dystopian Toy Story.

Toy Story 5: Chernobyl
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #736
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I just love how DownInFlames thanked that post

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #737
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #738
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in between jobs so plenty of time for movies! Here we go:

Toy Story 4: I didn't think they could top the ending of 3 but wow they not only managed to extend the story but provide an even better conclusion. Despite some ridiculousness I enjoyed how this is probably the funnest, funniest, and darkest film in the series while still maintaining the heart and emotion. Also, the new additions to the voice cast were great and helped to keep things fresh. 9/10

Crazy Rich Asians: Like many of the characters this movie is fun and flashy but ultimately has the depth of a wading pool. It is enjoyable to watch with breezy pacing, a good number of laughs, and a delightful performance from Awkwafina however it also feels like a really expensive tourism video. The story is super simple with little to no character development while barely touching on anything interesting. 6.5/10

American Animals: A tense, well acted, and interesting crime thriller. I'm not sure how I felt about the narrative structure using the real life people though. I appreciate seeing something different but it took away from the tone and at times felt like I was watching an A&E real crime drama. I was also disappointed it touched on some interesting concepts with unreliable narrators and heist movie satire but then didn't really go anywhere with them. 7/10

Rampage: Watched in part due to the recommendation above. I have been disappointed by both monster movies and The Rock recently but this one may have just redeemed them both. It gets off to a great start with some unexpected moments and fun likable characters. Despite dragging in the middle and becoming predictable by the end it was still a lot of fun and provided more than a few Oh Yeah! moments. 7.5/10

Mortal Engines: I knew this would be bad and even then it failed to live up to my expectations. Future generations will study this as the perfect example of how to make a horrible flop. I am amazed at how much they tried to cram in here. The entire movie is world building, character introductions, and every action trope you can think of leaving no time left for anything else including a coherent interesting story. The acting is bad but the writing is worse with the funny parts being cringe and the emotional parts being funny. Oh and this is all happening front of a lot of mediocre CGI. 2/10

Venom: I was a little worried at the start but this tuned out to be a lot of fun with more than a few moments that put a big smile on my face. Tom Hardy is great and I loved the relationship between Eddie Brock and Venom. The action was mostly well done, especially the bike chase, although the less that can be said about the CGI mess at the end the better. Also, I felt like the movie was 20 minutes short and needed more time to develop Brock/Venom and the Michelle Williams character. 8/10

Last edited by FireGilbert; 07-24-2019 at 05:46 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #739
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once upon a time in Hollywood is great. Long but very good. I’m a bit of a Tarantino fanboy though.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #740
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Yesterday was good but it left me feeling a little let down. Somebody mentioned it isn’t sci-fi, it’s a rom-com. Agreed and if you go in expecting that, it’s a decent movie, I guess. There were a few scenes where people hear these songs for the first time and are overcome with emotion. Those scenes really work but there wasn’t enough of that kind of thing.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote