Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Read the Darth Bane Trilogy.....that is all
The question coming out of that whole trilogy is.

Is Darth Bane really dead?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #62
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!(Darth Bane Trilogy)

Actually the question is how much of Darth Bane is alive!!!!! lol

But one hell of an easy read and the storyline is awesome...might actually pick up some of the authors Mass Effect books.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #63
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm excited to read Death Troopers.

Zombie Stormtroopers?! Hell yes!
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #64
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

At first only the top part of the image loaded and I was expecting a picture of a storm trooper rapping..
Old 06-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #65
narbeZ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Speaking of rapping and Star Wars...

narbeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #66
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how this has degenerated into a random Star Wars thread. To continue this, Mara Jade!!!

Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #67
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So if I wanted to start reading (or rather listening to audiobooks) to some Star Wars novels, where would be a good place to start? I remember reading some books about Admiral Thrawn or something that were pretty good, but I haven't read anything else.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #68
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So if I wanted to start reading (or rather listening to audiobooks) to some Star Wars novels, where would be a good place to start? I remember reading some books about Admiral Thrawn or something that were pretty good, but I haven't read anything else.
If you read the Thrawn trilogy it is all kinda down hill from there.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #69
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
As far as the post Star Wars EU, the Thrawn Trilogy was good, after that not so good.

The two trilogies that I mentioned before are really good reads.

The first is the Darth Bane Trilogy.

The stuff from the clone wars era is decent, especially the trilogy built around the fall of the republic. Labyrinth of Evil, Return of the Sith (Far better then the movie for the description of Skywalkers fall) and Dark Lord which shows the first steps of Darth Vader as he became a true Sith Lord.

I tried the Legacy of the Force series and the new Fate of the Jedi series and while they aren't terrible, they just don't grab your imagination.

Theres a cartoon series called Legacy or something like that, and it takes place long in the future where the Sith rise and take over the Galactic Alliance which replaced the republic. Its supposed to be pretty good.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 AM   #70
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
This thread is making me want to grab KOTOR on Steam. Should I do it, or is it just too old?
Get it. You won't regret it. I always come back and play it once or twice a year.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #71
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the books by Timothy Zahn are pretty good, not just the trilogy that kicked off the EU back in the early to mid 90s.

Do you want to read more about Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and the gang? Those books are the ones that people tend not to like. Probably because Lucas ties the author's hands in what they can do with the characters.

Some of the better books I've read center around characters created for the EU, and to a lesser extent Prequel Trilogy characters.

The New Jedi Order series is hit or miss. Some books are good, some not so good. The general story line is ok and some of the character development draws you in to want to read the next book in the series, but it feels like a poor attempt to make Star Wars more into a generic sci-fi instead of its own classification of sci-fi.

I really enjoyed the Coruscant Knights trilogy. None of the central characters were in the movies, and Darth Vader had very small parts in it. It even took a couple of supporting characters from the Medstar books, so there was some familiarity if you read those books. It wasn't anything epic, it was just a fresh look at the Star Wars universe through the eyes of completely new characters.

The Darth Bane series is also one of the best Star Wars books I've read. I still haven't read the 3rd book yet, but the first two were really well done.

Right now I'm reading the republic commando series. It isn't too bad, but the author, a female (not trying to stereotype), seems to want to write a Star Wars romance novel and tried to fight off that urge, but not enough for me to not get that sense. At any rate, it made me go out and get the game, Republic Commando. I happened to stumble upon the game on boxing day, at Wal-Mart and thought, I'm reading the book based on this game, I've got to play it now.

You can also go to theforce.net and check out their book reviews. I don't agree with all of the reviews and ratings, but it can serve as a good guideline for somebody wanting to find a book to read.

I'm just a huge Star Wars geek (if you couldn't tell by my avatar) and there isn't a book that I haven't read (or at least that I don't plan on reading). I buy 'em all on paperback, it makes for a nice looking collection on my bookshelves, and I've got about 15-20 books that I've yet to read. I just keep buying them as they're released in paperback format, and I try to get caught up, but I can't focus on reading only Star Wars books.

Last edited by Buff; 06-24-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 AM   #72
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

the X-Wing series of books was decent, though the last time i read one was as a kid so i'm not sure how they'd hold up if i read em again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #73
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for the X-wing books
Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #74
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked the X-Wing series too.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #75
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I haven't read any fantasy novels since the last Song of Fire And Ice.. any books that compare to that from the Star Wars franchise?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #76
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I haven't read any fantasy novels since the last Song of Fire And Ice.. any books that compare to that from the Star Wars franchise?

Two totally different sections in the bookstore, man... ;D

But no, nothing in Star Wars compares to what you'd expect from Fire & Ice.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #77
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Star Wars is basically fantasy though, closer to science fantasy rather than science fiction anyway.

And I took his question to mean the quality of the book, not the content.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #78
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya sorry, at my book store the Star Wars books are in the same general area as the Fire and Ice series.. never looked to see if it says Science Fiction or Fantasy or what...

I just asked because there are always a lot of characters in anything Star Wars related and I wasn't sure if any authors had tried that style of mixing a hundred different characters in one huge story line... like Martin did. Ive always been a character whore, not a fan of the novels that follow one dood (not including the Hobbit : ). I need a constantly changing point of view for the story with a lot of different parts of the world/relationships forming, developing and ending.

Any trilogies in there that hit on those points? I know the best way to do it is just to jump in and start reading, but there are a lot of fricken Star Wars books to just choose a random one.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #79
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Death Star.

Basically events leading up to the destruction of the 1st Death Star from the point of view of several different people aboard the Death Star. All of the characters are created for this book, so none of the familiar characters, but some very good characters nonetheless.

Like I mentioned before, it depends if you want to read about the adventures of Luke Skywalker, or about characters created for the Star Wars extended universe.

Last edited by Buff; 06-24-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #80
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone read the Outbound Flight book? Where Zahn retcons the Thrawn back story into the 'real' Clone Wars?