Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2024, 08:44 PM   #7521
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

100%'d Robocop, and am now off to Spider-Man 2.

...there's still something about these narrative driven Sony games that is wearing a bit thin for me. It's production value is second to none, but the whole process of collectibles + random city events + outright wastes of time side missions slapped between story missions just feels tired. It's like they've just accepted that this is what games HAVE to be structured like when they're this scale, and that bums me out a bit.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:53 PM   #7522
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Holy ####.

Ogre Battle is in my top 3 games of all time. The 64 version was decent to but the OG SNES then PS remaster are so good.

This looks amazing thanks for this. I am glad I just found it a few months before release.

If you are a physical media kinda person:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1746182412214632595
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 10:17 AM   #7523
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Xbox has traditionally sold poorly in Europe and Japan. The one exception being Eastern Europe where apparently the Series S is quite popular due to its low cost.

Microsoft having all their exclusives being both PC and Console is great for those of us who own both but makes it less compelling for people to buy Xboxes specifically as well.

I've recently transitioned to Xbox from PS5 because I'm just not really interested in the AAA single player story focused games that is Sony's bread and butter anymore. I prefer portability of playing on the Xbox, PC, and Steamdeck + Macbook (Xbox Cloud) whenever or wherever I am.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:32 PM   #7524
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

...there's still something about these narrative driven Sony games that is wearing a bit thin for me. It's production value is second to none, but the whole process of collectibles + random city events + outright wastes of time side missions slapped between story missions just feels tired. It's like they've just accepted that this is what games HAVE to be structured like when they're this scale, and that bums me out a bit.
I found the last 2/3 of Spiderman 2 to be quite enjoyable, but then that's mostly because the story and boss battles were great. I totally get what you're saying though... a lot of these games are starting to get pretty samey, even if I do adore the story in a lot of them.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:41 AM   #7525
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Yeah there's a bit of a problem with Sony first party games in that they are all following the same formula where they put all their resources into a compelling characters/story and then drop that story in the same basic game you have played before many, many times as Spiderman, Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Horizon, etc. I think they are starting to play things way too formulaic and safe. The games aren't bad because the production values are high but they also aren't very memorable at all because the gameplay is so been there, done that many times before. Maybe time for a new Resistance FPS type of game where it gets them out of the 3rd person action/adventure monotony.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-16-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 08:27 AM   #7526
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
If you are a physical media kinda person:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1746182412214632595
I've been pouring over videos of this game, it looks amazing. I would take a look at upcoming RPG's every now and then just to see if someone was finally trying to make a successor.

I hope this is a hit to promote more like it in the genre.

The soundtrack is also amazing, great throw back.

Makes me want to do a play through on Ogre Battle now. But I'd never finish it in time, that game had so much depth.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:50 PM   #7527
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Apparently the best selling game for 2023 was Hogwarts Legacy. First time in 10 years the best selling game wasn't a Call of Duty or GTA or other Rockstar game.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:38 AM   #7528
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748369083282722985
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:11 PM   #7529
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Anyone check out Palworld? It's doing crazy numbers on Steam (https://insider-gaming.com/palworld-...-epic-meeting/), and with how bad the real Pokemon games have gotten I'm kind of tempted to check out a Pokemon knockoff with guns. I'm surprised Nintendo haven't sent a cease & desist yet though, some of the "Pals" seem to be ripped directly from the Pokemon universe

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:42 PM   #7530
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun in RDR2.

Stole a oil wagon, shot it once to get it to leak, got on the wagon, shot the trail of oil then drove to Valentine. Parked in front of Sheriff, got off and waited. Killed the Sheriff without penalty.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:32 AM   #7531
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anyone check out Palworld? It's doing crazy numbers on Steam (https://insider-gaming.com/palworld-...-epic-meeting/), and with how bad the real Pokemon games have gotten I'm kind of tempted to check out a Pokemon knockoff with guns. I'm surprised Nintendo haven't sent a cease & desist yet though, some of the "Pals" seem to be ripped directly from the Pokemon universe

Reportedly the version on gamepass is 3 months out of date for some reason.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:44 AM   #7532
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Reportedly the version on gamepass is 3 months out of date for some reason.
It certainly is, I've played both and sure try it on GamePass but if you like it (And you should) just buy it on Steam. Great fun, much ripoff. I have no clue how they haven't been sued but my theory was they are letting the game sales peak so they actually have money to sue for before they do it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:22 AM   #7533
Toast_Man
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
It certainly is, I've played both and sure try it on GamePass but if you like it (And you should) just buy it on Steam. Great fun, much ripoff. I have no clue how they haven't been sued but my theory was they are letting the game sales peak so they actually have money to sue for before they do it.
I've put in a few hours on the gamepass version and it's decently fun. It's an interesting mash up of base building survival with monster collecting... and guns! I can't see the developers getting sued for this game, can you sue a company for using a similar art style? It's not like any Pokemon game I've ever played.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:02 AM   #7534
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you love Prince of Persia, Hollow Knight, and Metroid? For your consideration, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, which just released last week. This is a superb Metroidvania with tons of acrobatic platforming, exciting combat, and a huge varied world to explore. I've played around six hours and am showing around 30% completion, so there's a lot of content for this genre. The pacing is immaculate, it's hard to put down. There's a good amount of challenge (which you can adjust to your liking) and tons of things to find, plus an intriguing story with interesting characters. This is from the same developer as Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends, you can really feel their platforming expertise shine through and it's highly polished like those.

It's available on any platform you play on. I picked it up for Nintendo Switch and it runs nearly flawlessly there, 1080p at a locked 60fps. 86 average on Metacritic, 90 user review score.

Quote:
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a superb Metroidvania that reignites the franchise in exciting ways and only gets better the longer you play it. Meticulously crafted platforming mixed with exhilarating combat makes for a game that is nearly impossible to put down.
Quote:
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is an exceptional entry in the Metroidvania genre. What started out as an inventive spin on the time-bending franchise became a masterclass in 2D combat and traversal. Players wanting a dense, rich map riddled with secrets will find a happy home. Those wishing for surprisingly deep battles and razor-sharp navigation puzzles won’t be let down. With each new moment, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown becomes timeless.
Quote:
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is an unapologetically stylish and sleek Metroidvania action adventure that boasts magnificent movement and brilliant boss design. Aside from setting itself apart from other entries in the Prince of Persia series, it also stands toe-to-toe with some of the genre's giants. While the narrative isn't comparatively engrossing, this one-of-a-kind journey will undeniably satisfy both beginners and veterans of the franchise. The never-mundane gameplay loop full of ceaseless reward and discovery is one that shows clear, meticulous thought poured into it.
I agree whole-heartedly with these critic quotes! It's also even a bit cheaper than the typical AAA release, coming in at $69.99. If you love these types of games it's a must-play! And if you're not familiar with these types of games, it might even make you a fan. This will certainly be one of my favorites releases of the year, an early contender for my personal GOTY for sure.

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 10:32 AM   #7535
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Do you love Prince of Persia, Hollow Knight, and Metroid? For your consideration, Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, which just released last week. This is a superb Metroidvania with tons of acrobatic platforming, exciting combat, and a huge varied world to explore. I've played around six hours and am showing around 30% completion, so there's a lot of content for this genre. The pacing is immaculate, it's hard to put down. There's a good amount of challenge (which you can adjust to your liking) and tons of things to find, plus an intriguing story with interesting characters. This is from the same developer as Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends, you can really feel their platforming expertise shine through and it's highly polished like those.
Now if only they would release another Rayman game. To drop one of the greatest platformer games of all time with Legends and the not have any kind of follow-up for 10 years is downright criminal
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:01 PM   #7536
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll pick up the new Prince of Persia, it looks good. Nice thing is that it's an Ubisoft game, so should be able to pick it up for 50% off within a few months.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:20 PM   #7537
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I want to play it but I don't like those genre of games so much that I'd pay that much for one.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:26 PM   #7538
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I'll pick up the new Prince of Persia, it looks good. Nice thing is that it's an Ubisoft game, so should be able to pick it up for 50% off within a few months.
you can also always subscribe to one month of Ubisoft+ and gain access to everything they've put out ($22/month), finish the game and then cancel.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-22-2024 at 02:30 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:10 PM   #7539
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

After being introduced to the franchise by skipping six or seven of the titles that had already been released (first played Yakuza - Like a Dragon, then Like a Dragon Gaiden - The Man Who Erased His Name), I went on a Yakuza series downloading frenzy yesterday and have started playing through Yakuza Kiwami.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 04:41 PM   #7540
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I would a Prince of Persia: Sands of Time remaster.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: