Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #41
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
The cost to tap is more than the cost to insert/swipe. I’m very tempted to turn off the tap at my PoS terminal too.
So what you’re saying is insert/swipe is the Walmart pickles of payment processing?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #42
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
So what you’re saying is insert/swipe is the Walmart pickles of payment processing?

Well I’m sure they could negotiate a better rate then little old me and make it the same. Insert/swipe is more of a pikkkle while tap is pickle.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #43
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kettle cooked peanuts, bbq, sriracha, chili and lime or salt and vinegar, are the only reason to go to Walmart. I haven’t seen kettle cooked peanuts anywhere else.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #44
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
The real sadness about Walmart are the McDonald’s located inside them. How they managed to sully one of the happiest places on earth I will never understand.
Damn. About the only place worse to buy food than Walmart has to be McDonalds. IMO.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #45
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

It's been probably ten years since I stepped foot in a Walmart.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #46
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Damn. About the only place worse to buy food than Walmart has to be McDonalds. IMO.
The 5 piece Chikken Nuggens combo used to be my go to at the Walmart McDonalds before I became vegetarian. Turns out it wasn’t even meat.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #47
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I haven’t step foot in a wal mart in over ten years. I refuse to. The only thing that place has done is devalue any product in our society. They have conditioned people to think that the cost of a certain good is their price. That microwave is so cheap... 1 year later, busted buttons that are not replaceable, time for a new microwave and the cycle stars again.

It’s the type of thing that leads to the overconsumption of our society. Products built to fail. They are cheap in the short run but in the end you pay more than you would have if you just bought a quality product from the beginning.

As far as socks or underwear, I go to the army and navy.

Wal Mart Is a scurge.

Except I’m not sure the mid tier brands are any better anymore. It seems to me that that the mid tier stuff is just rebadged low end junk. And the low end junk is so cheap that even if the mid tier stuff is marginally better the cheaper stuff is worth it.

Manufacturers have realized that brand and the implicit value people place on what they pay for something is more important than quality. Along with the lack of competition at each point in the supply chain leads consumers with very little choice.

Last edited by GGG; 05-14-2019 at 09:11 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I just found a five pack of the anti-perspirant that I normally buy for 7 bucks a stick at Costco for 16 bucks. More and more I'm discovering that Costco is the place to shop.
But the 18lb bag of cheetos you bought with the deodorant kind of ruins the deal.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #49
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope the folks who dump on Walmart aren’t also voting for neo cons like Jason Kenny. Because that my friends is a package deal. Ideological deregulation is prime breeding ground for the walmarts of the world
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #50
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I hope the folks who dump on Walmart aren’t also voting for neo cons like Jason Kenny. Because that my friends is a package deal. Ideological deregulation is prime breeding ground for the walmarts of the world

Their groceries suck. But yes, you found a way to shoehorn neo con into a post. Slow clap.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #51
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you are saying the NDP was going to stick it to Walmart and it's Jason Kenny's fault that Walmart is what it is? Package deal so if we all voted NDP that Notley would ride in and make them accept tap payment, clean up their stores, and offer better produce because it's not a package deal with NDP so there were going to be big changes?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-14-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #52
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I buy lots of groceries at Walmart, and when it comes to produce, celery, peppers, blueberries etc. it is the same hit or miss I get at Safeway or anywhere else, the only difference is it seems a lot cheaper in price.
Never had a problem with pickles, olives, cheese etc etc.

That's probably not surprising when comparing to Safeway these days. The quality has gone downhill a bit. It's only marginally better than Superstore..

However, I think in all of those items Costco has them beat, and the quality is always better. It's generally more like 95% hit to and 5% misses with the quality of the produce they stock. Otherwise, I like Co-op or Save-On Foods.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 AM   #53
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are far too many people in here dumping on Wal Mart. It is what it is, a place to pick up things for a decent price, but there are things you should stay away from. Produce is hit or miss and I haven't picked up milk since Lucerne took over as I had a few jugs expire before their expiry date (yes, in my fridge).

Personally, I have never seen some of the odd sizes some have spoke of. 1.75 L Coke? WTF???
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 AM   #54
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I perplexed, cheese products, dry goods, and small appliances are the exact same products as anywhere else only cheaper, I don't buy much meats except for maple leaf chicken breasts (5 for $10) or much produce but and apple is an apple so I get them there for sometimes half price.

Edit: I think some of you are stuck up

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 05-15-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:12 AM   #55
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I perplexed, cheese products, dry goods, and small appliances are the exact same products as anywhere else ...
Except they aren't. Other than he food, 99% of those products are made exclusively for Walmart - *slightly* different than the "same" products manufactured for other retailers.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Except they aren't. Other than he food, 99% of those products are made exclusively for Walmart - *slightly* different than the "same" products manufactured for other retailers.
99% of the products exclusively made for Walmart? This is 99% exaggeration.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #57
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So you are saying the NDP was going to stick it to Walmart and it's Jason Kenny's fault that Walmart is what it is? Package deal so if we all voted NDP that Notley would ride in and make them accept tap payment, clean up their stores, and offer better produce because it's not a package deal with NDP so there were going to be big changes?
No the point is that walmarts and similar retailers are the product of the same ideology of government espoused by the ucp reformers etc. Small government less regulation. Let the market decide. Guess what. The market picks Walmart as its retail winner. Most consumers don’t care about dirty floors or poor working conditions until they face those conditions themselves. And markets will always drive down wages for the working class and so raise demand for cheaper retail goods. Walmart loves Jason Kenny
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #58
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
The real sadness about Walmart are the McDonald’s located inside them. How they managed to sully one of the happiest places on earth I will never understand.
This is the most ridiculous thing i have read on here the past 2 years.

You win!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #59
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No the point is that walmarts and similar retailers are the product of the same ideology of government espoused by the ucp reformers etc. Small government less regulation. Let the market decide. Guess what. The market picks Walmart as its retail winner. Most consumers don’t care about dirty floors or poor working conditions until they face those conditions themselves. And markets will always drive down wages for the working class and so raise demand for cheaper retail goods. Walmart loves Jason Kenny
This isn't a 3rd world country. Nobody in Canada has to accept these working conditions and if consumers don't care about dirty floors then they don't care about dirty floors. I despise the Superstore experience but I understand why it's so busy and I don't hold it against the shoppers that may be living paycheck to paycheck that appreciate the opportunity to save every penny they can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #60
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This isn't a 3rd world country. Nobody in Canada has to accept these working conditions
And in case their employees are wondering who won’t help them improve those conditions, Walmart is more than happy to help guide them:

It’s easy to say no one has to accept those working conditions, and I’m assuming you mean they can just quit, but I highly doubt that most employees there have a lot of other options for work. Otherwise they probably wouldn’t be working at Walmart in the first place.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote