Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Laptop Help

My wife has a laptop that we would like to use again - hasn't been used in about 3 or 4 years I would say.

When we open up the computer and try to start it up we get a "McAfee anti-theft" thing pop up asking for a password. Well we have no idea what the password would be and some googleing has shown that the product is no longer supported.

Are we out of luck? Any way to get around this?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #2
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found this page

The last solution (Solution 3) has instructions to recover your Anti-Theft password using an unlocked computer. However, it requires logging into the McAfee console with your McAfee account. If you don't know that info, you might be able to recover those too since there are "Forgot your password" and "Forgot your email address" links. As a last resort, it's worth emailing McAfee and seeing if they can help.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Found this page

The last solution (Solution 3) has instructions to recover your Anti-Theft password using an unlocked computer. However, it requires logging into the McAfee console with your McAfee account. If you don't know that info, you might be able to recover those too since there are "Forgot your password" and "Forgot your email address" links. As a last resort, it's worth emailing McAfee and seeing if they can help.
Thanks that seems like the way to go.. Just can't get the console to load haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was able to get to the login page using the second link they provided. But as I don't have a login, can't test further. If you can login, but then the console doesn't appear, you will need to email McAfee directly and get them to help.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If it's a couple years old it may be worth changing out the HD to an SSD with a fresh copy of windows.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote