Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Another older guy. This is a much better pick than the last two.
This is a really dumb statement
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #22
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I have an opinion that the first two picks in this draft by the Flames sucked. I don't think it's unreasonable
Did you know ^anything^ about these guys before you saw we drafted them? At all?

I'd wager no, and thus I think everyone here would agree it is an unreasonable take because of that.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #23
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What am I supposed to say on this discussion board?

"That sure was a draft pick!"

"Brad Treliving has picked a player who may or may not play at the NHL level."

"We may never know what that pick will be?"

I have an opinion that the first two picks in this draft by the Flames sucked. I don't think it's unreasonable -- in fact, a number of media members share that opinion

True, and everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an #######. Some are just ####tier than others.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Seriously, how can anyone of us say stuff like this moments after a draft pick in the fourth round?
Well what you do not know are the miles TheScorpion put in travelling from Vancouver to Sioux City to Edina. After seeing all three players many times, he has opined this pick is better than the other two.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #25
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I have an opinion that the first two picks in this draft by the Flames sucked. I don't think it's unreasonable -- in fact, a number of media members share that opinion
It's generally not wise to have a strong opinion on something you're not knowledgeable in.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nightfx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I did not know who any of these players were before the draft, obviously, because I'm not Pierre McGuire. I'm just saying that guys like Pospisil and Koumontzis seem like somewhat illogical picks, especially Pospisil, whose stats are the definition of poor and whose skating style resembles David Wolf's in all the worst ways. I'm also basing this opinion off of the rankings, which seem to indicate that the Flames reached, and the general opinion of media like Kent Wilson, who is disappointed at those first two picks to say the least. I'm sorry that I don't think highly of these picks but that's just me, I suppose. I don't always support everything the Flames do. I'd like to hear why you guys think these picks are "good" for any other reason than that my opinion that they are "bad" is "####ty."

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #27
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I am out and only following via cp. Which media members said our picks sucked and what did they actually say?
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #28
haiku
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

silence is golden
no insight then back to bed
you're not paid per post
haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #29
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I did not know who any of these players were before the draft, obviously, because I'm not Pierre McGuire. I'm just saying that guys like Pospisil and Koumontzis seem like somewhat illogical picks, especially Pospisil, whose stats are the definition of poor and whose skating style resembles David Wolf's in all the worst ways. I'm also basing this opinion off of the rankings, which seem to indicate that the Flames reached, and the general opinion of media like Kent Wilson, who is disappointed at those first two picks to say the least. I'm sorry that I don't think highly of these picks but that's just me, I suppose. I don't always support everything the Flames do. I'd like to hear why you guys think these picks are "good" for any other reason than that my opinion that they are "bad" is "####ty."
How are they illogical picks if you have no idea who these players are? That’s the real question here

And how do you know what their skating style is like??
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #30
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Links to the number of opinions?

I admittedly know nothing about either guy but would like to read from those that do.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #31
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't feel any picks made by the flames are good or bad at the moment. Considering the recent drafting history under Treliving, I trust them way more than my opinion forged after a quick Google search and internet stats.

I tend to only form strong opinions on things I am well versed in. But I do have to commend you on your passion for the Flames and their decisions.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #32
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You long for the Sutter days of all our picks being used to draft a big western Canadian checking forward with a familiar name or were you watching cartoons?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #33
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uhmmm... I am not claiming to have given half a crap about this year's draft after our GM traded it all away for some whatever pieces, but there doesb't appear to be anything wrong with popsicles' stats. Individual scoring in the USHL is much tougher than in canadian major juniour in my opinion for a few reasons. Even guys like Gaudreau, Boeser, and Kyle Connor were only slightly over a PPG in their draft years in that league

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Profiles a bit like Dillon Dube, but the highlight package isn't as impressive.

Hopefully the injury held him back a bit and he has more to offer. The Giants have been a bit of a circus lately, they just changed coaches again so that's not a good thing.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #35
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It’d just be cool if instead of saying “this sucks” someone presented some information, or other reliable media opinions from people who HAVE actually spent a little time watching these guys, to back up whatever their opinion is.

I mean, I’m intrigued by our pick at 105. Ball of energy? Rough and rowdy type? Just needs to focus his game? Count me as interested.

I’m not about to roll into that thread and say “THIS IS A GREAT PICK! Thank you Brad!” because, quite frankly, I don’t know what I’m talking about, so i’ll leave it to the experts and make measured comments like “I’m interested, I can see the upside based on other comments.”

People get way too “this is the best and this is the worst” around here. It’s ok just to have an opinion that isn’t a trying to be a hot take. This isn’t the Rome show.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #36
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Milos Roman, Flames third 4th rnder per @NHLCentralScout
"MODELS HIS STYLE OF PLAY AFTER MARIAN HOSSA"

Slovakian. Why wouldn't he!

ISS Hockey had him as a "Draft wildcard"
"slick playmaking centre who is an explosive skater with speed"
"adjusted quickly to the WHL"

Like this selection!
Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Kent Wilson??

I don’t believe he knows anything about these players either.

And I don’t really have an opinion about whether or not any of these are “good” selections. The last two were a bit puzzling based on the information at hand, but what do I know? This looks like a “boom or bust” selection to me based on how Roman was ranked, and how far he has dropped. That doesn’t make it a “good” pick—for all we know his slide in today’s draft is a clear reflection of things that all the scouts know that we do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #38
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

"And how do you know what their skating style is like??"

Because I meticulously analyzed a grainy 8 second youtube clip after I brushed my teeth today.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #39
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm seems like an offensive player and he has a cool name.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #40
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Have your opinion. But if you might want a reason too. If you can't find one, maybe don't bother sharing?
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote