Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #701
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Cavs win 1-0!

Edmonton is still no good
Old 05-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #702
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good win! Not pretty by any means, but 3 in the bank and in control of the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #703
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

More E = NG is always a good thing.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #704
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Cost is the number one reason I didn’t take my son to the game today.
Same. When I looked early in the weak the cheapest pair was $39/ticket, total would be $78+$10 parking +budget $20 for snacks. I'd have bought him a shirt too, but I'll do that whenever we do go so not strictly associated with a specific game.

At that price I said forget it, and took my whole family to tyrell museum in Drumheller.

Total cost was $19 for admission (2 for 1 coupon for 2 adults, 2 kids free), plus $17 for ice cream. Plus gas to Drumheller was a bit more, although from my house spruce meadows is 45 minutes and tyrell only took 90...

It depends on what their plan is I suppose. Maybe there are enough die hard soccer fans that will pay Flames level prices for this. But I think they are missing an opportunity to get families out to the games, which is really the only way you create die-hard fans for the next generation.

I became a Flames fan because my dad took me to games during the young guns era. It was probably cheap tickets, but it was still fun and special, and now I'm a die hard fan who spends $$ each year on seasons. Missing the chance to convert my kids into that is probably a long term mistake, imo.

I don't even care what the seats are like particularly. But having enough $25-$30 seats so that people can take a family of 4 to a game in a reasonable way would be a good idea. If they want to stick with the $100 midfield seats maybe they need to add more seats at the ends or something?

Last edited by bizaro86; 05-18-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #705
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Now they're gonna believe us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #706
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solid win again. Dominate the first half like 2 weekends ago and then weather the storm down the stretch. No answer for Brown who has pace and runs like a bull with the ball.

Though Ledgerwoods injury didn’t look great. Some shoddy refereeing either letting too much go, then not letting enough go, that sequence included.

Not sure how Malonga’s second sitter went backwards...hit the back of his head?

Smoke bomb set off at midfield. Didnt see where it came from, I assume kicked out as well?
Pitch except the far saw corner with obviously some puddles, looks good.

They have CPS now helping with traffic control on exit, holding cars at 22 and also manually switching the light at McKevitt. Parking they have now split between debit credit and cash, to allow quicker lines there too.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #707
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Despite the cost, I did go to today's game. Spruce Meadows has definitely improved many aspects of the entrance to the facility. Egress needs work though. I had no idea where the shuttle back to Somerset was. And three different sets of staff/security gave me three different lots, all of which were wrong. Did make it back though. But man, print some signs!

Pitch is improved, except for that one corner Browna mentioned. Didn't get the number of our guy who get sent on a slip n slide through the lake. On the field, another mostly solid effort. Went a little too hard into the prevent defence at about the 65 minute mark, but Carducci stood strong. Would like to see us attack the opposition net more often overall though. We probably had 75% possession in the first half, but very little in the way of offensive chances to show for it.

Now 2-0 against the CSA and CPL's pet franchises. That makes me pretty happy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #708
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a question which might be obvious to some here, which comes from my lack of general soccer knowledge, the discussion of the economics of these teams, and the very strong start to the campaign the Cavs have had.

My (limited) understanding is that trades are rare in soccer, and that instead players are transferred between teams in exchange for money. Does anyone know how the rules work for CPL teams around that? I remember when the Vancouver Whitecaps sold Alphonso Davies they got to keep the (huge) fee because he was a homegrown player. Anyone know what the rules are for CPL teams and the costs/proceeds of buying/selling players?

If these teams are intended to be a home for young Canadian players, inevitably some of them will break out. I didn't notice that any of the players they signed had a transfer fee attached (free agents?) so I'm wondering if that's an additional potential source of profits for the CPL clubs. That would probably be a few years out, but realistically this is likely going to be a lower division of soccer than MLS or the bigger European leagues, so those who break out are going to want to try higher leagues.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #709
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attendance?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #710
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I have a question which might be obvious to some here, which comes from my lack of general soccer knowledge, the discussion of the economics of these teams, and the very strong start to the campaign the Cavs have had.

My (limited) understanding is that trades are rare in soccer, and that instead players are transferred between teams in exchange for money. Does anyone know how the rules work for CPL teams around that? I remember when the Vancouver Whitecaps sold Alphonso Davies they got to keep the (huge) fee because he was a homegrown player. Anyone know what the rules are for CPL teams and the costs/proceeds of buying/selling players?

If these teams are intended to be a home for young Canadian players, inevitably some of them will break out. I didn't notice that any of the players they signed had a transfer fee attached (free agents?) so I'm wondering if that's an additional potential source of profits for the CPL clubs. That would probably be a few years out, but realistically this is likely going to be a lower division of soccer than MLS or the bigger European leagues, so those who break out are going to want to try higher leagues.
MLS players have been traded before. However, professional soccer players throughout the world are almost always sold for money.

CPL clubs would love to sell players for profit someday. I can't overstate just how hard it is to develop and sell players. FC Edmonton thought they could do it in the NASL and it never really happened.

An additional problem is that MLS (the nearest "big league") made it a point to not really ever pay transfer fees for lower league North American lower league players (NASL, USL)

Selling players should not be seen as a viable income stream, it should only come as a massive surprise if it happens down the road.

Work permits, restrictions on foreign players per league and the fact that European clubs can sign players on the cheap from traditional soccer hotbeds means it's really hard for Canadian players to get a real sniff in a decent European league.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 05-18-2019 at 08:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 08:07 PM   #711
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Amazing win. And the win streak is at 5.. watchout CPL we are the team to beat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #712
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just think of it as the opposite of the world's value system towards economics. (USA vs World)

The 4 Major North American sports, are Marxian with salary ceilings/floors,. and profit sharing.

Soccer, globally, treats the players as a commodity that can be sold, using traditional capitalistic methods. (UEFA's FFP is toothless -- PSG/Man City tbc)
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #713
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
MLS players have been traded before. However, professional soccer players throughout the world are almost always sold for money.

CPL clubs would love to sell players for profit someday. I can't overstate just how hard it is to develop and sell players. FC Edmonton thought they could do it in the NASL and it never really happened.

An additional problem is that MLS (the nearest "big league") made it a point to not really ever pay transfer fees for lower league North American lower league players (NASL, USL)

Selling players should not be seen as a viable income stream, it should only come as a massive surprise if it happens down the road.

Work permits, restrictions on foreign players per league and the fact that European clubs can sign players on the cheap from traditional soccer hotbeds means it's really hard for Canadian players to get a real sniff in a decent European league.
Interesting thanks! Makes sense that would be very hard to do if the market is so limited. Almost seems like it would need to be a very top tier player for it to be worth it for a big Euro club to use a foreign spot then.

Although I don't understand how MLS would be able to avoid paying compensation to lower leagues when they take their players. Did they just decide as a group to always wait out the contracts? Because otherwise it seems like someone with a USL contract couldn't just decide they didn't feel like honoring it anymore...
Old 05-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #714
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting thanks! Makes sense that would be very hard to do if the market is so limited. Almost seems like it would need to be a very top tier player for it to be worth it for a big Euro club to use a foreign spot then.

Although I don't understand how MLS would be able to avoid paying compensation to lower leagues when they take their players. Did they just decide as a group to always wait out the contracts? Because otherwise it seems like someone with a USL contract couldn't just decide they didn't feel like honoring it anymore...
USL contracts are usually very short. So yes, just wait until the contract expires.

The same way a European club might take a flyer on a young North American teen, but there's generally no way they will pay a transfer fee or a training solidarity payment. Only the best of the best would warrant a transfer fee. So if the CPL ever wanted to sell a player, he better be an absolute baller for someone to pay a transfer for him.

MLS has only just decided to become "a selling league" but their track record of selling players has been pretty dismal considering the tens of millions they sink into their club academies every year. That shows how hard it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 12:18 AM   #715
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

As is longstanding soccer tradition, the inaugural CPL win for the Foot Clan is celebrated via ice cream cake:

The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 01:01 AM   #716
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
As is longstanding soccer tradition, the inaugural CPL win for the Foot Clan is celebrated via ice cream cake:

Honest question: where did the name foot clan come from?

Wasn't that the name of Shredder's goons from Teenage Mutannt Ninja Turtles?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #717
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Honest question: where did the name foot clan come from?

Wasn't that the name of Shredder's goons from Teenage Mutannt Ninja Turtles?
It’s just been a running joke since the first time a few of us attended our first Foothills FC game. The group was surprised to see a very grass roots bunch of supporters, and following CP, I let them know they were called the Foot Soldiers. One of my friends jokingly said we should start a rival supporters group called the Foot Clan, definitely inspired by TMNT.

Then we got hammered and bought an ice cream cake.

It was pretty damn awesome attending a pro soccer game in Calgary with a really great crowd. Something I’d wanted to do badly for a very, very long time. I really hope this sticks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #718
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was fun, wasn't it? 5 points clear of second place Forge with a game in hand. 8 points clear of Edmonton.

Wonder who lit the smoke bomb in the middle of the stand?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #719
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to Cavalry FC games is heaps of fun. The sightlines from the 200s is great, the shuttle from the Ship and Anchor was a breeze, the facility is gorgeous and the product on the pitch is brilliant. 10 out of 10 would recomend going to a match, even if you dont like soccer.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #720
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ya, that was a lot of fun. Met up with some friends from work at Kildares in Silverado before the match. Good food, and they had a shuttle as well which was a nice surprise
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge