Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #141
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What do we estimate the probability that Kakko goes #1 instead of Hughes?
Certainly Hughes is still the likely top pick but would it be unthinkable for Kakko to supplant him? I'll put the odds at 20% but rising.
My bet, zero percent chance....

Devils will want to draft an American kid.

Even if the players are totally even in rankings

Devils will draft Hughes
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #142
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
My bet, zero percent chance....

Devils will want to draft an American kid.

Even if the players are totally even in rankings

Devils will draft Hughes
Please explain why the Devil's will base their pick on the nationality of a player? They have never shown that in the past. If they take Hughes it is because they think he is the best player, not because he is American.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #143
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Please explain why the Devil's will base their pick on the nationality of a player? They have never shown that in the past. If they take Hughes it is because they think he is the best player, not because he is American.
Its all about marketing....

They will sell this to their fan base......

(i.e. not to mention I have heard this mentioned from the media on the radio (i.e. not Fan 960))
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #144
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Doesn't GM Shero have a relationship with the Hughes family?

I think its a lock the Devils pick him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #145
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
THN has him 22nd.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #146
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd be taking Kakko before Hughes.

I'm not seeing the hype on Hughes, beating a dead horse here because I'm always repeating myself but yea.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:16 AM   #147
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Doesn't GM Shero have a relationship with the Hughes family?

I think its a lock the Devils pick him.
Don't know if it is already said in this thread, but Shero was Jim Hughes' player agent when he played in the 80's.

I don't know what to think about that marketing-thing... I mean, If you get a franchise player, why the nationality means so much? If we take Ovechkin as an example, he's so good of a player the Capitals have had no problem to "market" their star player and a team. Of course Ovie is maybe an exaggerated example, but in my opinion the level of the player matters the most, even in marketing.

I live in Finland so I don't know if United States (or Canada) differs from my home country so much. And of course in this draft, I'm in the Kakko-wagon, but in general I believe that if a team thinks player A is slightly better than player B, they should take player A no matter of their nationalities. A center over a winger -argument I understand, so if the Devils think that Hughes is going to play as a center and Kakko as a winger and/or they think that Hughes is better or as good choice as Kakko, I am not surprised if they pick Hughes. But if they are not sure about Hughes' position in the NHL hockey and think that Kakko is slightly better than Hughes, I just don't believe they are picking Hughes because he's American and because Shero is close to Hughes family. That would be just stupid.

Last edited by Unknown; 05-18-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unknown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #148
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Hoping Lavoie is available when the Flames pick. Think Seider goes higher than ranked.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #149
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What are the chances that we trade up to the top 5 in this years draft? I Have not been following the draft eligibles much this year so forgive me if I’m way out to lunch with this.

I feel like Chicago is a wild card to move out of the top 5? I would think as long as they have Kane and Toews they will try to keep their window to win as long as possible.

So would a deal involving

Brodie + Jankow + our 1st be enough to get the conversation started? Again I don’t know if people are considering this to be a strong draft year with generational talent.

I might be over valuing our players but if they were traded simply for picks I would imagine it to be something like this

Brodie = late first and a second
Jankow = early second

So It would be 2 firsts and 2 seconds which seems relativily close unless your Chicago and you think that the player in the top 5 will make more of an impact than both Brodie, Jankow and who ever they would get at 26.
Pickle Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #150
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
What are the chances that we trade up to the top 5 in this years draft? I Have not been following the draft eligibles much this year so forgive me if I’m way out to lunch with this.

I feel like Chicago is a wild card to move out of the top 5? I would think as long as they have Kane and Toews they will try to keep their window to win as long as possible.

Brodie + Jankow + our 1st be enough to get the conversation started? Again I don’t know if people are considering this to be a strong draft year with generational talent.

I might be over valuing our players but if they were traded simply for picks I would imagine it to be something like this

Jankow = early second

So It would be 2 firsts and 2 seconds which seems relativily close unless your Chicago and you think that the player in the top 5 will make more of an impact than both Brodie, Jankow and who ever they would get at 26.
I think that player will be Byram who will be an anchor on their aging blue line for years so I can't see them trading away from that with an aging Keith to replace
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #151
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicago's cupboards are pretty empty. Their big prospect played full time last year in Jokiharu. They not trading down IMO. At least I wouldnt.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #152
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Jankow = early second

Brodie doesn't offer much value to a team picking high in the draft as he's UFA after this season and those teams will be looking a few years out. Jankowski doesn't move the needle much either.

I doubt CHI trades down much further than #10...and if trade with us, it's likely something much bigger involving a guy like Monahan or Hanifin+ cause they want to speed up the rebuild. I don't think it's likely we trade up this year...
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #153
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jankow = early second

I don't think that package is enough to get the Flames into the top 10 (or even get the conversation started). I think you're valuing Brodie and Jankowski correctly, but Chicago's pick really does have a ton of value.
I don't think there's any chance the Flames trade up that high. Those types of rumors always end up being nothing for some reason. In this case, there aren't even rumors (yet).

I am confident the Flames will have a pretty good draft without trades. For the most part, they'll draft whichever player has the highest ceiling at the spot. And I'm fine with that.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #154
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames could move up to get Dylan Cozens that would be pretty great. I've seen from 3 to 6 for his pick. Big and fast, and played locally.

But if Lavoie looks to drop to 26 (from about 18 where he is), I'd save my assets and get him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #155
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to trade 26 to Canes for 36 and 37.

But more likely get 36 and 59 for 26th pick
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #156
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love to trade 26 to Canes for 36 and 37.

But more likely get 36 and 59 for 26th pick
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #157
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont see the Flames using their pick @ 26

Likely move it for a "win now" roster player

Potentially package it with a top 6 player to move up into the 3-10 if they feel there's a forward there who can slot in and make immediate impact.

Hughes and Kakko are untouchable, I think 3-10 is where everyone's picks are going to be vastly different in terms of player rankings.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #158
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to think the closer things get to the draft the more we will here about Spencer Knight being a logical pick for the Flames. Given the Flames history of drafting goaltenders I would hope that they pass on him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #159
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to think the closer things get to the draft the more we will here about Spencer Knight being a logical pick for the Flames. Given the Flames history of drafting goaltenders I would hope that they pass on him.
I know what you're saying, but this kid is said to be possibly the best goalie to ever come out of the US Development league....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #160
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I know what you're saying, but this kid is said to be possibly the best goalie to ever come out of the US Development league....
Honest question - who are the previous best goalies to come from that league? Is that actually saying much?
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote