Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #121
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
A good option for after a Flames home game is to watch the "Alberta Ram Dealers Post-Game Show" hosted by Brendan Parker on Youtube. It's usually quite good.
I didn't know about that, that sounds like an awesome solution!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #122
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Re: Draisaitl. "LOL $8.5M" stops a lot of Draisaitl talk. Tell them thanks for sewering the salary structure of every other RFA because you didn't have the wit or foresight to sign Draisaitl before McDavid.

Re: Reilly. "Gio's better in every way".

Nobody gives it to you. You have to take it.
Yeah, the problem is that I get a lot of blank stares rather than hockey talk

The Draisaitl one is funny, and normally that's counter #1. Usually any fan that wants to justify it will tell you about how great that contract will look in a few years...

And as far as bringing up any Flames player (besides Johnny) to talk about... you either get a fan that knows hockey... or "I think I heard Gio is pretty good - how is he this year?"

People just don't see a lot of Flames content. But they could have talked to you about Nurse v Reilly for the rest of the night is more my beef.

----

To follow up with all of that, we asked for the Flames afternoon game to be on at BWW this weekend. By the end of the game, the Flames had all the main TVs and the Sens/Wild were on the secondary TVs around the bar.

We were watching for it, and the people that were in there already started watching the TVs once it switched but weren't watching anything at all when we came in - and there were a few cheers throughout the bar for the OT winner.

People are interested in Flames hockey around here!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #123
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
Are you suggesting Rogers' deliberately makes Flames' games look worse in a market they don't even offer TV service in?
Would you put it past them?

Rogers seems to hold the policy that 'passable' until people are screaming, regulation, or competition forces their hand to do better.

If sending poor quality saves them a bit of cash or makes another company look bad in comparison... it's green-lit.
I think anyone that has worked with/around a 3rd party ISP will tell you how little Rogers cares about your customers.

Last edited by Split98; 01-07-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #124
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Do you use Free Range in the US? If so, can I ask which VPN you're using. I was running Shaw Free Range using Pure VPN, but it no longer works and Im curious if it's the VPN or if Shaw has figured out how to shut down access via VPN.
I use PIA. I last used it in the US with Free Range in September (as well as August and June). Worked great.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #125
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Living in the US, am very pleased with PIA for VPN provider. Never have had a single issue accessing any Canadian content.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #126
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Leafs highlight package - no goals, but they showed 5 Leaf scoring chances. Spent little time on actual goals by the Preds.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #127
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this is a SportsNet broadcasting quality issue, Shaw transmission issue or local reception issue. Last night game broadcast quality was really bad. It was severely pixelated for almost half of the time. Constant freeze-ups for a few seconds long. I thought of taking a snapshot and sending it to Shaw at some point. Did anyone else experience this?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #128
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Not sure if this is a SportsNet broadcasting quality issue, Shaw transmission issue or local reception issue. Last night game broadcast quality was really bad. It was severely pixelated for almost half of the time. Constant freeze-ups for a few seconds long. I thought of taking a snapshot and sending it to Shaw at some point. Did anyone else experience this?

No issues watching the Sportsnet Now stream, so likely a Shaw issue
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #129
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Why the hell am I being blacked out from watching a Canadian team but I can watch two American teams? Network is a f'n joke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I would be upset too if SN is showing a game with only American teams over a game involving a Canadian team, that's absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
That'll be happening next Wednesday at the Flames expense!
It is happening with two games involving canadian teams being regional. Sportsnet is advertising that Wednesday Night Hockey will show the Predators at Blackhawks game on SN360 and the main Sportsnet channel, but, not the West channel. The Avalanche-Flames game will be regional on Sportsnet West and the Senators-Ducks will also be regional on TSN5.

The blame is all on Sportsnet in this case. Sportsnet could easily have the Flames game on the main channel, the Senators game on SN1 or SN360, and the american game on SN1 or SN360. The exclusivity has been waived by Sportsnet for this Wednesday as they are permitting arch rival TSN to televise the Senators game.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #130
StAlbertFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Jeez, back when I was a kid we were lucky if we got 8 Flames games on TV in an entire season.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.
And, like it or not, those Flames only got on TV when they played Toronto and sometimes when they played Montreal or Edmonton.
CBC only catered to Toronto and Montreal and TSN is known as the Toronto Sports Network for a reason.

Sportsnet and 2&7 in Calgary are the ONLY ones to provide an entire season of Flames games. To me, quality begins by actually providing Flames games... all of them.
StAlbertFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #131
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAlbertFlame View Post
And, like it or not, those Flames only got on TV when they played Toronto and sometimes when they played Montreal or Edmonton.
CBC only catered to Toronto and Montreal and TSN is known as the Toronto Sports Network for a reason.

Sportsnet and 2&7 in Calgary are the ONLY ones to provide an entire season of Flames games. To me, quality begins by actually providing Flames games... all of them.
2&7 never provided and entire season of Flames games. Sportsnet didn't even do that until a few years ago. Remember those god-awful PPV's that filled the gaps for the non-Sportsnet games?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #132
StAlbertFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
2&7 never provided and entire season of Flames games. Sportsnet didn't even do that until a few years ago. Remember those god-awful PPV's that filled the gaps for the non-Sportsnet games?
I moved to St. Albert in 2002. I don't remember missing to many Flames games.

My point is, Flames fans can complain about Sportsnet all they like.... but don't be so sure that CBC and especially TSN will do much better when it comes to providing what 99% of everyone on Calgary Puck wants... a broadcast of all Flames games.

Sorry, not sure what a PPV is?!?
StAlbertFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #133
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did Roger Millions do the PBP alone on those PPVs? I remember the quality being so low for the price paid.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 AM   #134
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAlbertFlame View Post
I moved to St. Albert in 2002. I don't remember missing to many Flames games.

My point is, Flames fans can complain about Sportsnet all they like.... but don't be so sure that CBC and especially TSN will do much better when it comes to providing what 99% of everyone on Calgary Puck wants... a broadcast of all Flames games.

Sorry, not sure what a PPV is?!?

Pay per view
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #135
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Did Roger Millions do the PBP alone on those PPVs? I remember the quality being so low for the price paid.
I believe the legendary Rob Kerr was involved as well!

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #136
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Peplinski also did color for a few of them and I recall Theo did one too.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #137
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In his Grandfather's suits!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #138
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Peplinski also did color for a few of them and I recall Theo did one too.
Pepper also did colour for a few non PPV broadcasts, but I can't remember if it was local TV, CBC or something else.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #139
skeena1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
Are you suggesting Rogers' deliberately makes Flames' games look worse in a market they don't even offer TV service in?
How did you come to that idea? Who is more likely to degrade a signal, the people creating it and trying to get people to watch it, or their competition?
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #140
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, both Kerr and Millions did their first PBP broadcasts on Flames PPV's before they each got a shot at the full-time Sportsnet gig. I still feel spoiled with Ball and Hrudey every time I think back on this period of darkness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Press Level For This Useful Post:
AC