Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2024, 06:31 PM   #2121
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
No they separate the NA and international skaters. I didn't notice it right away either.

It's really way past time the NHL just came out with one list. I mean, you can have different versions for different positions, but just come out with one master list.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 08:43 PM   #2122
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Official Flames pick odds

1st - 5.0%
2nd - 5.2%
3rd - 0.2%
9th - 64.4%
10th - 23.5%
11th - 1.7%

10% chance of a 1/2 pick
90% chance of a 9/10 pick
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 08:44 PM   #2123
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm predicting a lotto win but only up to 2nd OA

And I think it's a no brainer they snag Demidov.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:48 PM   #2124
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

1st - 5.0%
2nd - 5.2%
3rd - 0.2%
9th - 64.4%
10th - 23.5%
11th - 1.7%

10% chance of a 1/2 pick
1 in 10 chance of picking first or second. Gosh if Celebrini is off would Demidov be the consensus pick or choice of the defencemen?

I go Catton. Really underrated how good he is.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #2125
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Celebrini if we win.
I want buium or Iginla even at 2nd. Then demidov, yakemchuk.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #2126
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
1 in 10 chance of picking first or second. Gosh if Celebrini is off would Demidov be the consensus pick or choice of the defencemen?

I go Catton. Really underrated how good he is.
At 2nd? Catton vs Demidov would be an interesting debate. One that ultimately Demidov wins I think.

I don't have him in the top 5 let alone top 3. But I'm just a shlub draft nerd.

Demidov tracks to be better than Michkov. The fact that's even a conversation should say all we need to know.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:53 PM   #2127
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have Buium as the 2nd best player in the draft. Either him or Demidov.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 08:53 PM   #2128
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Vancouver's loss tonight, they're officially the 4th-best Division winner, meaning their pick can be 25th overall at best. That will only happen if all 4 Division winners fail to make the third round. Otherwise, it will move down by one spot for each Division winner who makes the Conference Finals. If they make the Conference Finals, it will move into the bottom 4.

The Canucks' pick can end up anywhere from 25-32. Well, it's the Canucks, so anywhere from 25-31.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:55 PM   #2129
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
With Vancouver's loss tonight, they're officially the 4th-best Division winner, meaning their pick can be 25th overall at best. That will only happen if all 4 Division winners fail to make the third round. Otherwise, it will move down by one spot for each Division winner who makes the Conference Finals. If they make the Conference Finals, it will move into the bottom 4.

The Canucks' pick can end up anywhere from 25-32. Well, it's the Canucks, so anywhere from 25-31.
Come on lucky 25. How does that affect the fourth though?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:55 PM   #2130
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who does Vancouver get again?? The Preds?

Wild things happen in Nashville.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:59 PM   #2131
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Come on lucky 25. How does that affect the fourth though?
If Vancouver makes the Conference Final, the 4th becomes a 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Who does Vancouver get again?? The Preds?

Wild things happen in Nashville.
Yes, Nashville. First round loss for Vancouver incoming.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:03 PM   #2132
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
At 2nd? Catton vs Demidov would be an interesting debate. One that ultimately Demidov wins I think.

I don't have him in the top 5 let alone top 3. But I'm just a shlub draft nerd.

Demidov tracks to be better than Michkov. The fact that's even a conversation should say all we need to know.
Michkov was playing against men.

Why i have Catton ahead? Local for one. Underrated two. He has better numbers than point and crysaddle.

Center. 80 point center is more valuable than a 100 point winger especially when you dont have centers. Skating , vision, skill, shot. I mentioned before put two inches and twenty pounds on him he goes top five no question.

As mentioned i think he is vastly underrated.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:35 PM   #2133
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a little sour on Demidov, as I'm a little biased towards Russian players, but it really sounds like he dreams of coming to the NHL above all. Somebody said they heard that Demidov even avoided signing a long-term contract in the KHL in order to be available to play over here.

That, and the new attitude the organization has about bringing Russian players aboard has made me think differently. Talent wise, there's little doubt that Demidov is the second-best player available- at least, in terms of forwards.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 09:45 PM   #2134
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

1st, 2nd, 9th, 10th, or 11th -- Most likely 9th.

5% chance at 1st.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:47 PM   #2135
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congratulations to the Seattle Kraken on winning the 2024 NHL Draft lottery...with how the Flames last 2 years have went there is no doubt in my mind that will happen.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 11:11 PM   #2136
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Mr. Kennedy Edition):

It took some time this season for LHC Quinn Kennedy of the Rimouski Oceanic to gain the confidence to start showing off his offensive skills, starting the year with only 3 points in his first 12 games. He finished the regular season with 45 points in 52 games, but only managed 1 assist in the playoffs as Rimouski was eliminated by the Cape Breton Eagles in 5 games.

Kennedy has a long, powerful stride with rapid acceleration and excellent agility for lateral mobility, and escapability. He can push pace, and plays with high energy, always moving and keeping his legs pumping. He has soft hands to finish in-close and moves to beat goalies, but he also has a laser of a snapshot with some whip, and a deceptive release. He always seems to be open and ready to shoot with his stick on the ice, and he also has the hand-eye coordination to score off of tips. He became more confident as the year wore on in making plays of the more difficult and complex variety, but high-end vision and IQ only came in flashes most of the time. He can distribute with poise and confidence, but isn't really a playmaker. On the forecheck, he grinds with tenacity to force turnovers and wreak havok, despite measuring only 5'10",172lbs. He's highly disruptive and aggravating to play against, and gives opponents fits. In battles, he's gritty and hard-working with constant second-and third efforts. He's hard-nosed and competitive, and works down low and around the net like he was a big power-forward. There's no fear in him to storm the crease, or attack the middle of the ice. In possession, he's shifty and elusive with smooth puckhandling and he protects the puck well. These skills, when combined with his speed, make him effective in transition, as he stickhandle through layers of traffic to make clean entries with control.

Going forward, it's likely that Kennedy will not be known for his defensive abilities, as he's not currently a stalwart in his own zone- although he works hard, and exhibits good positioning. He's undersized, and his frame doesn't quite match the rambunctious style that he plays, so he may have to temper his physical approach a bit for the next level. Even if he does, he still needs to add a ton more strength, as he can be manhandled by bigger players. He needs to round out his skillset, and upgrade his shot as well. Look for him in round 5 or 6.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-19-2024 at 11:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 11:13 PM   #2137
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

1st - 5.0%
2nd - 5.2%
3rd - 0.2%
9th - 64.4%
10th - 23.5%
11th - 1.7%

10% chance of a 1/2 pick
How does that 0.2% for 3rd work? How does that happen, we win 2nd but then Gary takes it away and gives it to Edmonton?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 11:15 PM   #2138
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Congratulations to the Seattle Kraken on winning the 2024 NHL Draft lottery...with how the Flames last 2 years have went there is no doubt in my mind that will happen.
And if they don't win the lottery, they'll take Iginla before our pick. It is written in hockey law.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:16 PM   #2139
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
And if they don't win the lottery, they'll take Iginla before our pick. It is written in hockey law.
I don't think they will. They need a stud D before a winger.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:51 AM   #2140
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Steel Head Edition):

LW Mason Zebeski has an advantage over other potential late-round 2024 draftees in that he knows who he is- a complimentary piece on a fairly deep and talented Mississauga Steelheads team that finished the regular season 8th overall, and 11th in goals-for. Going forward, that's the kind of player he will be if he makes the NHL- a meat-and-potatoes bottom-6 grinder who can chip in a bit of offense, and that's not a bad thing. Z is used all over the Steelheads' lineup, playing the role of dump-and-chase checker, all the way up to riding shotgun with their best players on the top line. The 6'1",185lb winger finished the regular season with 24 goals and 35 points in 55 games, to go with 52 penalty-minutes, but only managed 1 assist in 5 playoff games as the Steelheads were unfortunately eliminated by the Sudbury Wolves.

Zebeski uses his size and strength well to play a mean physical game with an edge. He doesn't need to be reminded to finish his checks, as he hits everything, and he will drop the gloves when challenged. He wins battles with his grit and sandpaper, plays heavy on the forecheck, and throws his weight around to win pucks. He's strong on the boards, causes havok down low, and will lean into defenders on his way to the net. As his 24 goals indicate, his main contribution to Mississauga's offense is his shot, and finishing skills. He exhibits good touch around the net, and can finish in-tight, but he also has a wicked shot with a lightning-quick release. He can be used as a net-front presence on the powerplay, as he makes a good screen and can capitalize on tips and rebounds. Z works well below the goal line and in the corners, and will explode to the front of the net through open space with the puck. Unlike some players of his ilk, he is actually an excellent skater with good acceleration, and a short-burst in small areas, but could maybe use another top gear. Zebeski has high motor and stays active with a workmanlike attitude, and will drag teammates into the fight with the way he agitates his opponents.

Zebeski plays a solid defensive game, and is entrusted with penalty-killing duties by the coaches in Mississauga. He's competitive, with good awareness of his surroundings in the defensive zone, and the speed to close on attackers quickly. He plays the body, blocks shots, and clogs lanes with an active, well-timed stick. His puck-skill is somewhere in the "average" range, and he could use work on his stickhandling as he can lose control of the puck while in flight, and he can bobble his pass receptions. If he could improve this area of his game, his playmaking might improve with it. Zebeski will be available in the later rounds, between 5-7, as he doesn't possess the highest ceiling- he will most likely make it as a bottom-6 winger with PK duty, who chips in a little offense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft