Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2023, 07:04 AM   #221
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We're rocketing up the hype curve, but I wonder if we will actually see a big trough. Unlike most hyped technologies that promise big things and don't deliver, AI is already delivering amazing things. Maybe we'll all be disillusioned that Skynet doesn't happen.

We definitely riding the hype curve and you have a ton of social media grifters out there trying to up the valuation of whatever company they've created that they call AI.

Just from past experience with tech hype cycles - it would be shocking if this doesn't at minimum plateau. Just in the past 5 years we've gone from companies like Amazon, Apple and Google going hog wild over voice assistants changing the game to them not moving along or companies like Telsa, Uber and whoever else telling us they'd have fleets of self driving cars out there by now to Uber basically giving it up and Tesla's not being able to recognize stopped vehicles.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:06 AM   #222
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think rather than kill us AI will make us disposable and we will kill each other. Some models estimate that in 50 years up to 90% of all jobs could be automated. When the unemployment rate goes over 8% there is significant cultural issues include crime, violence and political unrest.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 09:12 AM   #223
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone with more knowledge mind to tell me why he is wrong?
I_H8_Crawford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:29 AM   #224
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy his video delivery is extremely obnoxious and annoying.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #225
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
We definitely riding the hype curve and you have a ton of social media grifters out there trying to up the valuation of whatever company they've created that they call AI.

Just from past experience with tech hype cycles - it would be shocking if this doesn't at minimum plateau. Just in the past 5 years we've gone from companies like Amazon, Apple and Google going hog wild over voice assistants changing the game to them not moving along or companies like Telsa, Uber and whoever else telling us they'd have fleets of self driving cars out there by now to Uber basically giving it up and Tesla's not being able to recognize stopped vehicles.
I don't think the hype train is quite matching the level of advances currently occurring, most of the public is at the 'cool story bro' level. Similar to explaining your parents why the internet was revolutionary and change the world in 1995. It's hard to understand something which doesn't exist in our everyday lives yet. Heck I first laughed at the iPhone, and look where we are now?

The self driving car dream is hampered by current technology and regulations. It's benefit is also negligeable in the grand scheme of things.

Voice assistant I always considered to be a total gimmick and a novelty at best. Telling Alexa to close the blind or telling it to have the fridge make ice, or telling me a recipe really doesn't make my life better. People's experiences with voice assistance may also explain the lackluster response when seeing AI, seeing it as a glorified voice assistant.

I was excited about the possibilities of AI earlier in the year, heard of chatgpt and thought it was cool, and as many others largely ignored it.

Companies oversell and overmarket and over promise, there's a good reason to be very cynical of claims.

Then I used GPT4. It's like having thousands of experts available to do the work and thinking for you at any moment, and be just as good as an average expert. I can have it write code for me for applications that don't exist. It creates, and can do so on its own without your input. I am currently on the waitlist to get my API key.

This is one of those major breakthroughs but it's still in its infancy. It doesn't need to be true AI (AGI) for it to be an incredibly amazing tool and at the moment it already is.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-05-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #226
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
I don't think the hype train is quite matching the level of advances currently occurring, most of the public is at the 'cool story bro' level. Similar to explaining your parents why the internet was revolutionary and change the world in 1995. It's hard to understand something which doesn't exist in our everyday lives yet. Heck I first laughed at the iPhone, and look where we are now?

The self driving car dream is hampered by current technology and regulations. It's benefit is also negligeable in the grand scheme of things.

Voice assistant I always considered to be a total gimmick and a novelty at best. Telling Alexa to close the blind or telling it to have the fridge make ice, or telling me a recipe really doesn't make my life better. People's experiences with voice assistance may also explain the lackluster response when seeing AI, seeing it as a glorified voice assistant.

I was excited about the possibilities of AI earlier in the year, heard of chatgpt and thought it was cool, and as many others largely ignored it.

Companies oversell and overmarket and over promise, there's a good reason to be very cynical of claims.

Then I used GPT4. It's like having thousands of experts available to do the work and thinking for you at any moment, and be just as good as an average expert. I can have it write code for me for applications that don't exist. It creates, and can do so on its own without your input. I am currently on the waitlist to get my API key.

This is one of those major breakthroughs but it's still in its infancy. It doesn't need to be true AI (AGI) for it to be an incredibly amazing tool and at the moment it already is.
EVen the internet followed that path though. It was life changing - but it got over hyped too early. Investors went hog wild and anything that was an internet company exploded in value - then it all crashed down in 2002 or whatever.

This VC investment chart from wikipedia basically mimics that chart edslunch posted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-co...VC_funding.png

The internet changed so much of our lives - and even it got over-hyped. People have a tendency to expect these new technologies to advance much quicker than they do. Its happened throughout history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Mania - even with things that are wildly impactful.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #227
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holy his video delivery is extremely obnoxious and annoying.
First time watching Adam Conover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Yeah no, sorry, but if I am forced to choose between listening to Adam Conover for 25 minutes or submitting to the A.I. overlords... well, let's just say the rest of my life will still be less painful than the 25 minutes of smarmy dbaggery you're asking me to endure here.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 04-05-2023 at 09:56 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #228
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The golden age of the internet turned into a bubble, because it sold anything internet related as money generating. I remember when I was getting free dial up connection and free storage, storage that took over 15 years to get anywhere back with google drive etc.

The big issue is that people threw money at anything that has .com or was internet, yet most of these ventures never generated any value or money by itself. Many companies literally didn't do anything. That's why the infamous dot bubble crash happened, it was literally a balloon of fake promises and fluff.

In the end though the internet still changed our lives forever. School today is way different than when I went to school.

You're going to see this with AI as well, heck it's happening now with sites popping up everywhere and people going on the bandwagon. But just because you will inevitably have many snake oil salesman telling you why their product is better, in the end the backbone of what we have and improving on is legit and revolutionary.

It's just hard to contemplate by many for good reason.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #229
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
And my last time
Old 04-05-2023, 10:03 AM   #230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The golden age of the internet turned into a bubble, because it sold anything internet related as money generating. I remember when I was getting free dial up connection and free storage, storage that took over 15 years to get anywhere back with google drive etc.

The big issue is that people threw money at anything that has .com or was internet, yet most of these ventures never generated any value or money by itself. Many companies literally didn't do anything. That's why the infamous dot bubble crash happened, it was literally a balloon of fake promises and fluff.

In the end though the internet still changed our lives forever. School today is way different than when I went to school.

You're going to see this with AI as well, heck it's happening now with sites popping up everywhere and people going on the bandwagon. But just because you will inevitably have many snake oil salesman telling you why their product is better, in the end the backbone of what we have and improving on is legit and revolutionary.

Sure, it could be. It could also be crypto or NFT's, which people said the same thing about. Remember the Wii? When it was shown, everyone thought perfect motion tracking, and this was the future of gaming. Turns out it was some neat tricks, and some of it worked well, but it was not the future. Humans are really good at over-hyping things. This isn't to say it may not end up being what people think it is, one day. Just that hype often gets waaaay in front of progress. Musk is awesome at that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #231
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Yeah no, sorry, but if I am forced to choose between listening to Adam Conover for 25 minutes or submitting to the A.I. overlords... well, let's just say the rest of my life will still be less painful than the 25 minutes of smarmy dbaggery you're asking me to endure here.
Yeah, I was not familiar with that guy and regret giving him a chance for a few minutes. His delivery is really obnoxious, and I can't fathom why I would want to listen to 25 minutes of this random comedian/podcaster/youtuber with no specific knowledge of the subject just to have a conversation about it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:12 AM   #232
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My company set up a self-described 'elite group' to join the dot com craze. When asked what their value proposition was the best they could come up with was that they were 'eyeball aggregators'. Strangely, it didn't last.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #233
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Ok I got 3 minutes into it and I maybe got the gist? Firstly I feel like he's ignoring the thing about exponential growth in that it feels like nothing is happening for 99% of the time and then everything changes all of a sudden.

Secondly he's very much in the camp that all companies are evil, and I won't argue with him on that one. They'll definitely oversell what AI can do... but at the same time what it's already doing is frightfully impressive. Any of us can take it for a spin and see if the hype is real or BS. It's happening in silos at the moment, which can make it feel broken in important places, but once we can hook it all together, things will proceed quickly.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #234
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sure, it could be. It could also be crypto or NFT's, which people said the same thing about. Remember the Wii? When it was shown, everyone thought perfect motion tracking, and this was the future of gaming. Turns out it was some neat tricks, and some of it worked well, but it was not the future. Humans are really good at over-hyping things. This isn't to say it may not end up being what people think it is, one day. Just that hype often gets waaaay in front of progress. Musk is awesome at that.
Tell me the real world use of crypto and NFT. NFT was the most useless scam ever devised in the past 10 years, and crypto is a pyramid scheme built on the self-prophesized belief of non fiat currency being the future. If enough people believe it, it becomes tangible.

On Wii...where have you been with VR? Its the natural progression. Wii caught on a one time hysteria where non-gamers bought the system en masse, but they are still non-gamers and didn't need a Wii U when they already had a Wii (Nintendo's biggest recent failure was due to its own past success).

Both suffer however from it being uncomfortable for doing for long periods of time. They will never replace traditional gaming.

Your examples are honestly extremely poor. I'm saying this as a big crypto and NFT skeptic who has never used voice assistant past the novetty factor, this has current real world major uses in its current iteration that is only improving exponentially. Without getting into details, I am actively already using it to make passive income creating real value, not based off a made up bubble or scheme.

You either catch on to the next real big thing and utilize it to its full advantage, or you are left behind. Your choice.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-05-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #235
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But your last line is exactly what crypto bros and NFT pumpers always said. Like, seriously, word for word.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting it will be the same, becuase I see a lot of utility in it. But hype wagons can really run away, and damage the ecosystem through negative perception.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #236
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well this isn't good.

Quote:
Samsung workers have unwittingly leaked top secret data whilst using ChatGPT to help them with tasks.

The company allowed engineers at its semiconductor arm to use the AI writer to help fix problems with their source code. But in doing so, the workers inputted confidential data, such as the source code itself for a new program, internal meeting notes data relating to their hardware.

The upshot is that in just under a month, there were three recorded incidences of employees leaking sensitive information via ChatGPT. Since ChatGPT retains user input data to further train itself, these trade secrets from Samsung are now effectively in the hands of OpenAI, the company behind the AI service.
https://www.techradar.com/news/samsu...-using-chatgpt
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #237
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
But your last line is exactly what crypto bros and NFT pumpers always said. Like, seriously, word for word.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting it will be the same, becuase I see a lot of utility in it. But hype wagons can really run away, and damage the ecosystem through negative perception.
You can use GPT4 for yourself and see how much advantage it provides. It's again totally up to you if you want to use this seriously or not, no one is forcing you here. It may not help you directly in your workplace, or it may help *don't put confidential info though ever, like the above*, and it may help in other avenues. But to dismiss it and even compare it in the ranks as an NFT like scam when you haven't even tried it is...odd. GPT4 is not expected to be free for quite some time, but it only costs 20$ and worth every penny and more (should likely be priced much higher).

What use did NFT ever have? It was always completely useless and just gave some ego exclusivity bragging rights.

Last edited by Firebot; 04-05-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:33 PM   #238
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yeah, I think liability and privacy are going to be the biggest obstacles to businesses taking advantage of it, in the short term at least.

It doesn't matter how well GPT-4 scores on a bar exam; lawyers are bound by very strict laws about what can and can't be shared with outside parties, so they can't just be dumping their info into a public tool to generate boilerplate and risk exposing their clients' private information. And the same applies to anyone creating non-public work that companies or people want to keep private or anyone who's bound by an NDA.

Longer term, I'm sure there will be more enterprise-ready solutions that will allow for much more security, but I think it will always be somewhat of an issue. There's a reason why the legal and medical fields have generally been quite conservative in adopting prior technological advances for clients'/patients' info and this will probably be no different.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #239
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Privately secured internally localized AI models is likely what will end up happening. It's simply too good of a tool for businesses to not utilize in the long term. Even Bloomberg is developing its own for financial analysis (thought its at best by all accounts horrible right now).
Old 04-05-2023, 02:52 PM   #240
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Microsoft has already integrated it into Azure. I suspect companies will go this route, vs managing their own.

Quote:
Customers and partners can also create new intelligent apps and solutions to stand out from the competition using a no-code approach in Azure OpenAI Studio. Azure OpenAI Studio, in addition to offering customizability for every model offered through the service, also offers a unique interface to customize ChatGPT and configure response behavior that aligns with your organization.
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/bl...penai-service/

Interestingly there is no mention of data privacy, but you have to assume MS isn't allowing these data to make their way back to OpenAI.

Tags
they will overtake us